*US Mint sells me 200+ junky halves

Old October 14th 03, 06:49 PM
george pearl

Default *US Mint sells me 200+ junky halves

I rec'd from the Mint two
bags of 2003 kennedy's...total cost:$270.00
for 400 coins.

Over one hundred Denver mint halves had
damage in the fields in front of JFK's face
and on the back of his head. it LOOKS like
die polishing, but it is not. The die was
worn out and crumbly.

My One hundred philadelphia halves were damaged
by an oiling system gone bad: The motto "In God
we trust" was blurry and the "liberty" was poorly
struck. It seems that when they strike a 50 cent
planchet with 20 tons of force, they like to blow
on some lubricating oil to lessen the heat build-up
on the die. Tell me if you have another theory.
I have four coins that qualify for the "stuck thru
grease" label.

Any way, that's my story and it's too late to return
them to the mint; my thirty days are gone.
Old October 14th 03, 07:24 PM
Bill Krummel

"george pearl" wrote in message
om...
I rec'd from the Mint two
bags of 2003 kennedy's...total cost:$270.00
for 400 coins.

Over one hundred Denver mint halves had
damage in the fields in front of JFK's face
and on the back of his head. it LOOKS like
die polishing, but it is not. The die was
worn out and crumbly.

My One hundred philadelphia halves were damaged
by an oiling system gone bad: The motto "In God
we trust" was blurry and the "liberty" was poorly
struck. It seems that when they strike a 50 cent
planchet with 20 tons of force, they like to blow
on some lubricating oil to lessen the heat build-up
on the die. Tell me if you have another theory.
I have four coins that qualify for the "stuck thru
grease" label.

Any way, that's my story and it's too late to return
them to the mint; my thirty days are gone.

I have one bag that I have never taken out of the box it came in. I'm too
scared to open it now. Bill

Old October 14th 03, 08:54 PM
Edward McGrath

I bought the half dollar rolls and the coins are gorgeous. No scratches
or dings no oily spots no finger prints. I didn't buy the halfs in bags
because I figured they would be thrown around a lot more than th rolls.
I paid more for the rolls but it was worth it. Ed

Old October 15th 03, 01:55 AM
george pearl

SNIP, SNIP, SNIPPITY SNIP
Any way, that's my story and it's too late to return
them to the mint; my thirty days are gone.

I have one bag that I have never taken out of the box it came in. I'm too
scared to open it now. Bill

-------------------------
Tomorrow I am going to give the mint a call and
**** and moan. I suspect that if I spend enough
time asking the dreaded question: "Who's your Supervisor?"
That I'll strike a deal that will allow me to send the junk
back.

I read in Coin World Magazine that the mint
has sold out all of their JFK bags. Only rolls
are available now.

P.S. I found that when you tear open the US MINT bag
you don't need to treat them with kid gloves: I have to
bathe the coins in baby soap and then tooth-brush-scrub
the industrial fine oil off the surface (I've doing this
for one year and thousands of JFKS). Word to your mother
Old October 18th 03, 08:32 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Doggo"
when they fill the bags

What! They don't put them in one at a time?

Sure they do ... at 90 mph.

8-0

Coin Saver