Trying to date a Shaeffer Lifetime FP.

Old November 11th 03, 06:26 AM
Simon Bryquer

Default Trying to date a Shaeffer Lifetime FP.

The description of the Sheaffer fountain pen I am trying to date is as
follows:

Flat-top black body with 14K clip and single 3/8"W 14K band around the cap,
also has the Shaeffer white dot, also the lever-filler clip is 14K. The nib
is 14K.

Now I vaguely remember that the Lifetime first started appearing in the
1920s and continued through the early/mid 1930s. I also know a new version
of this Shaeffer style FP was reissued about 15 years ago in a price range
from $10 -60.00 with cartridges and a converter.These new pens were not
detailed, from clip to cap band, nor were the nibs in precious metal. I
wonder if Shaeffer also produced a more expensive one, with gold details, at
that time? If so perhaps this one date back to that period. When did
Shaeffer start using the white dot on the FP?

Now I am doing this without research so there may be quite a bit of
omissions and guessing as to the historical background.

First, not being a Sheaffer FP expert, what should I look for to ascertain
the year of this FP. And if it is in decent working condition what would it
be worth? If in need of slight repair, like a replacement of the rubber
filler, what would be it's estimated value.

Now I know I'm not dealing with a rare pen so I have no illusions about it.
I like it, in fact years ago I bought an identical black one when it was
reissued. Quite a good writer.

Thanks for any information ------- Simon B.

Old November 11th 03, 11:24 AM

Simon Bryquer wrote:

First, not being a Sheaffer FP expert, what should I look for to ascertain
the year of this FP. And if it is in decent working condition what would it
be worth? If in need of slight repair, like a replacement of the rubber
filler, what would be it's estimated value.

The dot appeared in 1921. Pens are not coins. No one on earth will
ever know the exact year. Best guess in the mid to late 1920s. Value?
How about telling us the condition? And size? The band means nothing
its the size of the pen that counts. So yours could be worth from 25
bucks to maybe 150. Cost to fix a sac about 25 bucks, although most
people can easily do that themselves for a buck or two. Frank
Old November 11th 03, 04:06 PM
Simon Bryquer

Frank -- Thanks . I believe it might be the Autograph, about the size of
the ones Sheaffer reissued about 15 years ago. Did Shaeffer reissued this
model in 14K details? Where can I buy your book?

Simon B.

Old November 11th 03, 06:19 PM

Simon Bryquer wrote:

Frank -- Thanks . I believe it might be the Autograph, about the size of
the ones Sheaffer reissued about 15 years ago. Did Shaeffer reissued this
model in 14K details? Where can I buy your book?

Sheaffer made no Lifetime pens 15 years ago. They haven't made any
until about 5-6 years ago since the 1960s. For Da Book email me at
Thanks. Frank
Old November 12th 03, 05:29 AM
david isaacson

the cap-band/trim certainly will contribute to value. the 14K solid
band clip on a lever-fill flattop does suggest an Autograph model, i
concur. Definitely better model within the sphere of sheaffer flattop
collecting. Sounds like the smaller cap-band of the two possible
solid band styles. Larger pen in clean condition would be worth nice
amount.

can you post link for url to this list?

david