New Austrailian commemorative coin is controversial

Old December 6th 04, 12:12 AM
JSTONE9352

Default New Austrailian commemorative coin is controversial

http://www.bordermail.com.au/newsflo...page_id=855303
Old December 6th 04, 06:02 AM
Jeff R.

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message
http://www.bordermail.com.au/newsflo...page_id=855303

The coin in question:
http://mintissue.ramint.gov.au/minti...tech_large.jpg

The "foreign monarch" on the obverse:
http://mendosus.com/jpg/2005-obverse.jpg

Sale page for the coin:
http://mintissue.ramint.gov.au/minti...sp?code=800188

and if anyone's still awake, here's next year's (2005) Aussie proof set:
http://mendosus.com/2005proof.html

Hooroo all...
--
Jeff R.

Old December 6th 04, 07:12 AM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"Jeff R." wrote:

and if anyone's still awake, here's next year's (2005) Aussie proof set:
http://mendosus.com/2005proof.html

Huh. I see by the 50 cent piece that only Australian Christians died in
WWII. I had no idea.
Old December 6th 04, 07:38 AM
Numismatist

Huh. I see by the 50 cent piece that only Australian Christians died in
WWII. I had no idea.

Either this comment was absent the smiley to let us all know that you are
kidding, or your political correctness needs some adjusting.

Old December 6th 04, 08:16 AM
Jeff R.

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jeff R." wrote:

and if anyone's still awake, here's next year's (2005) Aussie proof set:
http://mendosus.com/2005proof.html

Huh. I see by the 50 cent piece that only Australian Christians died in
WWII. I had no idea.

I see your point, Scot, but your expression of it is a bit harsh.

The three coins in the set which feature non-standard reverses (the 20¢, the
50¢ and the $1) all carry representations of photographs which are considered
"iconic" (I don't like this word, but its appropriate here) in the Australian
"national catalogue" of images.

Each photo is famous and most Aussies (of my vintage, at least) would be well
familiar with them (esp. the $1!)

The image on the 50¢ is neither a "manufactured" nor a "random" one.

We are a secular democracy with a historically Christian majority. The
Christian cross is universally considered a symbol that is most appropriate to
invoke visions of sacrifice - the ultimate sacrifice. The scene depicted is a
memorial service for soldiers killed at war. Their religion is not
specified - nor is it inclusive.

I don't feel that we, as Australians, should have to apologise for using the
Christian cross as a symbol of sacrifice in this way. I cannot think of any
other symbol which comes close to approximating the same intention. Can you?

Even if there was such a symbol, would you be able to supply a photograph of
an Australian situation using that symbol? One that is as well-known?

No, this is an entirely appropriate use of this symbol in this context.

Parenthetically - I assume that your use of the adjective "Australian" in your
comment wasn't critical of that modifier... this is an Australian coin, after
all. It would be a rather fussy and complicated coin if it included
acknowledgement of the sacrifice made by Christians, Moslems, Hindus,
Buddhists, Agnostics, Atheists (etc) from Australia, Britain, France, USA...
(etc)

I like the coin.

Its pleasantly uncomplicated and powerfully evocative.

Look - its got me defending the Aussie mint. Sheesh.

--
Jeff R.
(normally bags them out mercilessly)

Old December 6th 04, 01:45 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Scot Kamins wrote:

Huh. I see by the 50 cent piece that only Australian Christians died in
WWII. I had no idea.

Only Australians? Well, of course not, but these are Australian coins
after all. Only Christians? Of course not, but the war cemeteries that I
have seen, here in Europe at least, usually have rows of (white) blocks
or crosses. I think it is perfectly legitimate to put such an image on a
coin.

As for the original message, well, that text is a letter to the editor.
I suppose that as long as QE is the head of state, she will appear on
Australian coins ...

Christian
Old December 6th 04, 02:42 PM
ELurio

As for the original message, well, that text is a letter to the editor.
I suppose that as long as QE is the head of state, she will appear on
Australian coins ...

Christian BRBR

Why? QE2 is the head of state for lots of countries that don't have her mug on
the money.

Prime Minister Howard is a monarchist, most Austraillians aren't. One of the
major traumas of Aussie history is the 1975 "coup" in which the Queen's
"representative" Sir John Kerr FIRED Prime Minister Gogh Witlam.

The 30th anniversery of that event is in November.

eric l.
Old December 6th 04, 05:56 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"Jeff R." wrote:

We are a secular democracy with a historically Christian majority. The
Christian cross is universally considered a symbol that is most appropriate to
invoke visions of sacrifice - the ultimate sacrifice. The scene depicted is a
memorial service for soldiers killed at war. Their religion is not
specified - nor is it inclusive.

AH. That explains it then.

I don't feel that we, as Australians, should have to apologise for using the
Christian cross as a symbol of sacrifice in this way.

Of course you don't. Nor should you.

I cannot think of any
other symbol which comes close to approximating the same intention. Can you?

Sure can't.
Old December 6th 04, 06:09 PM
Harv

The guy on the $2.00 coin looks like he just ate the thing on the five cent
coin and could use some Prilosec..

Harv