But PCGS graded them!

Old February 22nd 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Default But PCGS graded them!

"oly" wrote in message

Why do you insist on being a liar? I have never cracked a coin out of its
case and do not ever plan to.

If you are a real man you will apologize.

???raiL ???raiL

!!!dehsilpmocca noissiM

We have our answer.

Old February 22nd 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Frank wrote:
When slabbed coins trade dealer-to-dealer, the standard terms are that
they trade sight unseen based on the grade on the slab, with the
understanding that the grading service is responsible for any
claims.

Anyone, dealer or collector, who buys coins sight unseen based on the
grade on the slab, does so at his peril, and usually experiences it.

eBay auctions are considered sight unseen by me. The pictures provided are
usually worthless. Having a seller who produces large, clear photos is
truly a rare thing on eBay.

Old February 22nd 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
When slabbed coins trade dealer-to-dealer, the standard terms are
that they trade sight unseen based on the grade on the slab, with
the understanding that the grading service is responsible for any
claims.

Anyone, dealer or collector, who buys coins sight unseen based on the
grade on the slab, does so at his peril, and usually experiences it.

eBay auctions are considered sight unseen by me. The pictures
provided are usually worthless. Having a seller who produces large,
clear photos is truly a rare thing on eBay.

I guess I've been lucky, as I generally get what I expect. But, yes, the
photo has to be of good quality, showing both sides of the coin, and have a
return privilege. My purchases are mostly of world coins, so maybe that is
what makes the difference.

James

Old February 22nd 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 21, 6:34*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
When slabbed coins trade dealer-to-dealer, the standard terms are
that they trade sight unseen based on the grade on the slab, with
the understanding that the grading service is responsible for any
claims.

Anyone, dealer or collector, who buys coins sight unseen based on the
grade on the slab, does so at his peril, and usually experiences it.

eBay auctions are considered sight unseen by me. *The pictures
provided are usually worthless. *Having a seller who produces large,
clear photos is truly a rare thing on eBay.

I guess I've been lucky, as I generally get what I expect. *But, yes, the
photo has to be of good quality, showing both sides of the coin, and have a
return privilege. *My purchases are mostly of world coins, so maybe that is
what makes the difference.

James- Hide quoted text -

I am told by two local veteran ebay coin sellers that they get 1/3 to
1/2 of all U.S. coins that they sell on ebay back for a refund.
People are trying (or hoping) to play the crackout game with the
slabs; with raw coins, the same people try to get more than they paid
for in terms of quality, hoping to get the piece in a slab with a high
grade and make a quick buck.

When the small fry who can't even afford to travel to major coin shows
are playing this game, the game is up.

U.S. slabbed coins are one more good reason to collect world coins.

oly

Old February 22nd 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

_______________

I've always wanted to buy a couple nice early thalers and/or pillar dollars,
but have lately become gunshy after hearing so much about tricky raw Chinese
copies. I suppose the only safe alternative to slabbed examples is to seek
out a reliable big time world coin dealer and to be resigned to paying top
price.

Old February 22nd 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

Early thalers (late ones, too) are a favorite target for the modern Chinese
counterfeiter, but the pillar dollars have been counterfeited literally for
centuries. It's getting harder and harder not to get snookered by the
unscrupulous these days, so know your dealer, and there are many well-known
and reputable ones. They are entitled to their fair markup, so even if you
have to pay "top" price, enjoy your coins and bitch not.

James

Old February 22nd 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

I agree that counterfeit world coins are getting better and better all
the time. It is way scary. I don't have a problem with buying a
slabbed coin for reasons of authentication. OTOH, if you don't have
experience in what certain coins should look like, maybe you should
buy books or just go on a nice vacation with those discretionary
funds.

oly

Old February 22nd 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

One of our basic freedoms is the freedom to bitch about a price. I see it
practiced here often. :)

Old February 22nd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote:
PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

Oh all right, repeat after me: Cripes, you wouldn't believe what I had to
pay that jerk of a dealer for a common pillar dollar in VF. He must have a
boat payment due.

James

Old February 22nd 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote:
PC wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

Now wait a minute. You said stick with well-known, reputable dealers. No
more jerks, please. There are enough of those in my area already. Now I
need to find a few reputable dealers. Any recommendations? And I don't
trust dealers who are making boat payments. Same with doctors, dentists,
and financial advisors.