International eBay sellers on RCC: I have a problem

Old May 3rd 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default International eBay sellers on RCC: I have a problem

I live in Switzerland, full time, so I am registered with eBay here.
My CC is registered with a Swiss bank. So it is only logical that I
have registered with eBay.ch (Swiss eBay) and not eBay.com.

Up to now, I have had few or no problems browsing auctions and BUYING
coins in whatever country I wanted to see. However, the listing
categories are completely different for each eBay site (actually, they
are the same for ebay.de -- Germany -- and ebay.ch -- Switzerland,
because

For example, I can go to ebay.com and drill down as follows:
"Coins-US coins-Dollars-Morgan-1878-93". Same for copper cents.
Lots of ways to limit the lists to just what you want to see. If I
don't want to see Lincoln cents, I can just look at Injuns.

OK. Go to ebay.ch and you get the following (translated):
"Coins-International-USA". Under the "USA" heading, I have a choice
of:

- single type coins
- mint sets
- bullion coins
- commemoratives
- gold and platinum coins
- other

That's it! So if I want to list my coins on the Swiss eBay site, I'm
stuck ... all the Morgan dollars get mixed up with Buffalo nickels and
Indian cents (as well as Lincoln cents and large cents. Yuck!!) I've
gotten used to it in the meantime, but when I think about selling
coins, I don't want them all lumped together in the same categories.

So I thought I could try to list my stuff under eBay.com. But I can't
even log in! Even though I have no problems logging in to ebay.ch, I
always get the "Your login information is invalid" page when I try to
log in to ebay.com. Logging out of ebay.ch first doesn't help, either.

It wasn't always like this ... up to a month or so ago, I used to be
able to log into whatever ebay site I wanted to with the same user ID
and password. But recently, I noticed that I could only bid on an
auction if I changed the URL to read ebay.ch instead of ebay.com. Then
everything was fine.

What gives? Does anyone else have the same problem? I sent a message
to eBay about it (eBay Switzerland ... can't send a message to
eBay.com because I can't log in there!), but they haven't been any
help.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old May 3rd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 03 May 2006 16:29:51 +0200, Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

categories are completely different for each eBay site (actually, they
are the same for ebay.de -- Germany -- and ebay.ch -- Switzerland,
because

.... because the Swiss site is actually run by the German site -- which
comes with its own special set of problems when there are problems
(such as trying to get PayPal buyer protection).

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old May 3rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hi Bob:

I am physically located in Germany and have absolutely no problems
listing stuff on ebay.com, ebay.de, or anywhere else. You are supposed
to be able to list at any of the sites - I remember reading this in a
guideline a few weeks ago, but I have mis-placed the URL.

In addition, I can log-in to "my ebay" at the USA site, which I often
do when I am unclear about a specific task or procedure, because of the
language.

You may want to put in an inquiry on this - it just does not sound
right...

Kind Regards,
John

Old May 4th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 03 May 2006 17:45:40 +0200, Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

On 3 May 2006 07:58:23 -0700, wrote:

I am physically located in Germany and have absolutely no problems
listing stuff on ebay.com, ebay.de, or anywhere else. You are supposed
to be able to list at any of the sites - I remember reading this in a
guideline a few weeks ago, but I have mis-placed the URL.

In addition, I can log-in to "my ebay" at the USA site, which I often
do when I am unclear about a specific task or procedure, because of the
language.

You may want to put in an inquiry on this - it just does not sound
right...

Thanks, John. I went to the eBay.com site, tried unsuccessfully to log
in there, then clicked on the "register" button, then clicked on "chat
with a live person" (or something like that).

Within 2 minutes I was connected with a real person (very courteous
and friendly, BTW, although I must say I probably wasn't quite as
friendly...) who sent me a new temporary password which I changed
immediately. The new password then worked without a problem in both
the Swiss and the U.S. eBay sites!

So I'm up and running now! It's still a mystery to me why I could log
on at one site but not another. Anyway, I'm a happy camper now!

Bob,
Perhpas it has something to do with some incompatibilities with the
non-English alphabetic characters. For example, I have a program
written by an Italian, and there is a configuration section for
defining certain keys such as the slash, which apparently is defined
on the keyboard differently in different languages.
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies