ebay silver craze!!!

Old May 3rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default ebay silver craze!!!

looking at various silver bullion and bar auctions on ebay...

what are people thinking?!?!?

with silver at $14.25, people are bidding $15+ an ounce PLUS SHIPPING..
often bringing an ounce bar to $18+

why would people pay so much when most coin dealers sell for $1.50-$2.00
over spot???

I guess the "sit at home and load up" factor makes it too comfortable to
stop by a dealer.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Mark Reed" wrote in message
.142...

with silver at $14.25, people are bidding $15+ an ounce PLUS SHIPPING..
often bringing an ounce bar to $18+

why would people pay so much when most coin dealers sell for $1.50-$2.00
over spot???

I guess the "sit at home and load up" factor makes it too comfortable to
stop by a dealer.

I don't know... suppose one lives 10 miles from the nearest coin store.
Suppose further that one's car gets 20mpg. With gas at $3/gal, a trip to the
coin store for that ounce bar would cost $14.25 spot + $2.00 dealer markup +
$3.00 gas = $19.25/oz.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

e wrote:
In article , Mark Reed wrote:

looking at various silver bullion and bar auctions on ebay...

what are people thinking?!?!?

with silver at $14.25, people are bidding $15+ an ounce PLUS SHIPPING..
often bringing an ounce bar to $18+

why would people pay so much when most coin dealers sell for $1.50-$2.00
over spot???

I guess the "sit at home and load up" factor makes it too comfortable to
stop by a dealer.

never underestimate human stupidity.

"The only two things you can truly depend upon are gravity and greed."
- Jack Palance

Old May 3rd 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The "sit at home and load up" concept runs e-bay, and not just for coins
either. If you are still in a buying mode for silver, there are a couple
of ways to cut costs. Higher prices are general paid for coins to the
sellers that take personal checks opposed to only M/O'ers, I guess more
for the convience. But hey, if you're going to the postoffice or bank
anyway, whats the big deal. Also, if you can find sellers that only use
Pay-Pal (and if you have an account with pay-pal) chances are you're
going to get a good deal. Sometimes bidding can get real sparse with
those auctions. Just a couple of suggestions.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
m...

never underestimate human stupidity.
-rah

"The Universe is made of stupidity." - Frank Zappa..

Harv

Old May 3rd 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Mark Reed wrote in
.142:

looking at various silver bullion and bar auctions on ebay...

what are people thinking?!?!?

with silver at $14.25, people are bidding $15+ an ounce PLUS
SHIPPING.. often bringing an ounce bar to $18+

why would people pay so much when most coin dealers sell for
$1.50-$2.00 over spot???

I guess the "sit at home and load up" factor makes it too
comfortable to stop by a dealer.

Maybe they don't live near a coin dealer. Maybe they're betting that
silver will go up to $20 an ounce, or even more. Maybe they're stupid.

ebaY is a strange place, full of strange people.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I resemble that remark.

Old May 3rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 03 May 2006 18:18:33 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

Mark Reed wrote in
7.142:

looking at various silver bullion and bar auctions on ebay...

what are people thinking?!?!?

with silver at $14.25, people are bidding $15+ an ounce PLUS
SHIPPING.. often bringing an ounce bar to $18+

why would people pay so much when most coin dealers sell for
$1.50-$2.00 over spot???

I guess the "sit at home and load up" factor makes it too
comfortable to stop by a dealer.

Maybe they don't live near a coin dealer. Maybe they're betting that
silver will go up to $20 an ounce, or even more. Maybe they're stupid.

ebaY is a strange place, full of strange people.

The closest dealer to me is over 30 miles away. My truck gets 18
miles to the gallon. I get off at 5, she closes at 6. She's not
interested right now in selling small amounts. She has an open
account for as much as she can buy. To stop and sell a few ounces is
not worth her time. So, I buy a little on ebay, do price averaging,
have found some good deals with low shipping and I still get to play
the game with a lot less hassle.

As it is, I've added my second shoulder holster and have additional
clips and that's a lot of extra weight but the trip to the coin shop
goes through some pretty rough areas. I always carry one pistol, but
now you have to stand ready to win a gun fight if someone sees you
coming out of the shop carrying something. Would my little bag of
silver be worth shooting someone over? Normally no, but what they are
doing now is walking up, stabbing people in the stomach, when they go
down they get watch, ring, bag and wallet as you are falling. I
don't let anyone get that close to me without studying the situation
and you are darn right that I'd put six in them before I'd take a
blade anywhere.

Reminds me of that old song, people are strange, when you come out of
the range, people are strange......

By the way, I am licensed to carry concealed and I'm heavily trained
is using the items I carry.
Cliff

Old May 4th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 03 May 2006 16:37:21 -0400, Cliff
wrote:

By the way, I am licensed to carry concealed and I'm heavily trained
is using the items I carry.

Awesome stuff, Cliff ... how would you like to accompany me to Russia
to buy some rare coins? I could use someone like you ... (just
kidding! For the moment there are enough on the market over here to
keep me busy).

It can be tough even *before* you buy the coins! A local dealer here
in Switzerland once told me about a friend of his who went to Kiev to
live and work for a few months. The dealer thought that his friend
might be able to pick up some old Russian coins for him. So he started
asking around, very discreetly, of course, where he could buy some
coins. Within 24 hours the guy had several death threats on his
telephone saying that he would be sorry if he kept asking about buying
coins! I guess they were concerned that rich Westerners would spoil
the market for them.

(By the way, I am licensed to carry concealed ... Morgan dollars! g)

--
Bob Hairgrove