Working With Specific Catalog Publishers - Advice Needed on RR Project

Old March 3rd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Working With Specific Catalog Publishers - Advice Needed on RR Project

Hi -

I was planning on writing to the following stamp catalog publishers
for permission to use their Belgian RR / Parcel Post and related
catalog numbers (overprinted regular stamps). This would allow a
serious cross-reference and provide a platform for the niche market of
collectors to hone in on this area of philately. There are actually
quite a few collectors!

A good start:
=============

I already have written permission from Scott Catalog to use their
catalog numbers - relating to these stamps - in a non-competitive way.
This is how I will be working on this. No money will be exchanged for
this project.

Here's who I thought about contacting:
======================================

1) Stanley Gibbons - Benelux. I have read that they updated their RR
related content in the latest release. Very expensive, however. Does
someone have an older (1990-2003) Benelux that they'd like to part
with?

2) Michel - their Euro content would be helpful. I have no idea what
section this would be under. Does someone have an older (1990-2003)
Belgian related Michel that they'd like to part with?

3) Uitgave - I have their 1992 catalog, but would have to purchase a
new one. Does anyone have a post-1992 Uitgave that they'd like to
part with?

I have plenty of stamps that I can trade for this materials.

Questions:
==========

1) I wonder if anyone still has the copyright for Willy Balasse? I
have a 1930s catalog and a 1949 2 volume catalog that cost a few
dineros a while back. The information would be wonderful to add.

2) Are there any other Belgian related catalogs published? I'll be
doing a search, on-line, but maybe some of you have encountered more
of the esoteric. (Sort of like the Simoes-Ferreira for Portugal)

Research:
=========

I have also been in contact with a few of the Belgian Study Groups. It
appears that there has been an update to the Tom Jones 1974 study of
cancellations.

Current Status:
===============

ALL of the Scott Catalog data has been entered. This includes the
following:

Stamp Proper: Q1 - Q482, O1 - O96, etc.
Stamp Type: PP, M, etc.
Stamp Category: Parcel Post, Official, etc.
Printing Type: Engraved, Photogravure, etc.
Paper Type: Normal, Polyvalent, etc.
Perforations: All Various
Stamp Colors: 190+ different colors

Most of the depot and depot line information has been entered or is
available for me to enter. It is not critical at this point.

Depot Info: Brussels-Noord, Brussels-Zuid, Antwerp, Liege, etc.
Depot Line: Nord-Belge, Chimay, etc.

I now have to work on scanning decent copies of each stamp "type" and
then move on to the cancellation data. This section is composed of:

Cancellations: All cancels recorded - where, data, etc.
Cancel Major: Major type - hexagon, octagon, straight-line, etc.
Cancel Minor: Supplemental information - dock 1, factage, facteur...
Cancel Color: Plenty to choose from!
Cancel Status: Stamp, on piece, waybill, card, etc.
Damage: Type of damage, if any

Thanks for any support you can send my way. This includes any public
domain maps of Belgium with HUGE detail. Time period: 1880 - present.

Tracy
Old March 3rd 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

dear Tracy,

you know I'm interested in the Belgian Railway stamps as well.

The Official Belgian Catalogue hasn't added any new stamps since 1987, so
your 1992 copy should be OK.

As to other catalogues I don't have very recent copies but may try to scan
certain pages should you like.

Quality more or less like this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dziewon/download/blg_sgpak01.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dziewon/download/blg_sgpak02.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dziewon/download/blg_sgpak03.jpg

after about a week I'll remove the files...

groetjes, Rein

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old March 3rd 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:40:12 +0100, Rein wrote:

dear Tracy,

you know I'm interested in the Belgian Railway stamps as well.

Yes, indeedy. We have had some discussion here in the past. It seems
that there is some renewed enthusiasm for these issues.

The Official Belgian Catalogue hasn't added any new stamps since 1987, so
your 1992 copy should be OK.

Short of any FDC, CTO or special ceremony cancels that SNCB / NMBS may
have applied to the "speculative" stamps of the 1990s and 2000s.

As to other catalogues I don't have very recent copies but may try to scan
certain pages should you like.

Fair usage. We can take this off-group. I'll e-mail you and not bore
the locals.

Quality more or less like this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dziewon/download/blg_sgpak01.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dziewon/download/blg_sgpak02.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dziewon/download/blg_sgpak03.jpg

Good quality for me. I remember we were discussing the different
perfs for this series.

after about a week I'll remove the files...

OK! I already captured those 3 files. Thanks, any info is
appreciated.

Tracy

Advice Needed renster General Discussion 11 July 27th 04 12:25 PM
Advice Needed Sam Hess Coins 8 July 15th 04 10:25 PM
Help or advice needed John Books 0 July 14th 04 08:40 PM
Non-working jukebox for project in mid-west Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner Juke Boxes 0 August 18th 03 09:23 PM
Do catalog publishers ever reformat their catalogs? Dakota General Discussion 11 August 13th 03 10:26 AM