FA: Fun With 1921 - New 1921D Morgan Dollar Variety / VAM Book

Old December 12th 03, 11:59 PM
Rob Joyce

Default FA: Fun With 1921 - New 1921D Morgan Dollar Variety / VAM Book

After many years of research and several years of compiling, I
fianally released my new reference "Fun With 1921" a study of
1921-D die varieties.

Over 56 unique die varieties are included in the book, with only 2 of
them detailed in the latest edition (fourth) of the Comprehensive
Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars, By Leroy C. Van
Allen & A. George Mallis a.k.a. the "big VAM book."

108 pages with huge photos and red arrows or lines boldly illustrating
the location of the important features. A value guide is also included
as well as condition census information.

You can see some more details on my web site:
http://www.rjrc.com/fun_in_1921.htm

$29.95 plus $3.95 priority mail shipping within the US. I hope you are
interested!

Rob
Old December 14th 03, 03:06 AM
John Baumgart

It's a well-done book. Good pictures and descriptions of some of the crazy
things that happened to Morgan dollar dies in Denver. Most 1921-D varieties
are die failure varieties (cracks, breaks, cuds, gouges) rather than
doubling (although there are some) and repunched dates (date was part of the
hub). Anyone who likes to see die failures would likely enjoy pursuing a
"set" or 21-D Morgans. For now, 1921-D Morgans are still quite available
and inexpensive. As more and more people get into them, their numbers will
dimish and it will no longer be easy cherrypicking. Some will be found to
be ultra-rare, others not. The Top 100 VAM book came out in 1996, and now
it's quite difficult to find one at a show unattributed. The first 1878 8TF
book came out in 1999, and it's become more difficult to find _any_ 1878 8TF
at a show. Forget about cherrypicking a rare one off eBay. No, 1921-D
isn't as rare a coin as 1878 8TF, but that's what will make the challenge of
building a 21-D set more palletable to more people. You can pick up some
of the coins in XF-AU by "dumpster diving" through junk boxes. Of course,
that was also the case with most of the Top 100 in 1996.

John Baumgart

P.S. No, Rob didn't pay me to say this.

ganews.com...