Stupid Questions...

Old November 24th 04, 12:12 AM
Chris Mitchell

Default Stupid Questions...

Hello all,

When I first made a post here about two months ago about being new to coin
collecting, I have learned a great deal both from this group and various
books. I've posted a few times since with some reasonable questions and
have received well informed answers. Once again, many thanks for all the
help.

That said, someone replied to my first post by saying that the only stupid
questions here were the ones not asked, so, here are a few incredibly dumb
questions to which I have no good answer. I am hoping someone will help
alleviate my cluelessness.

1) Where does one find plain old circulated SBA dollars? Are these still
available to a small extent at banks?

2) I've gone to four seperate banks looking for regular half dollars and
they usually look at me as if I'm crazy and then are most impatient when
they go to scrounge up whatever they can find. Is this the usual state of
affairs? For instance, it's easier to get SAC dollars at the machine in the
post office than it is at the bank. Is it a similar situation for halves?

3) I've gotten numerous rolls of coins at the bank (cents, dimes, quarters)
to sort through to fill some of the inexpensive Littleton folders I have.
Half of the rolls I get provide a good mix of dates regardless of
denomination. Yet, the other half of the time I seem to get entire rolls of
a specific date and mint mark. Provided these aren't obviously hand rolled
and in shotgun rolls, are these usually uncirculated coins from the Federal
Reserve branch in town?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

--
Remove "remove." to reply to email.

Old November 24th 04, 12:30 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Chris Mitchell" wrote in message

Hello all,

When I first made a post here about two months ago about being new to
coin collecting, I have learned a great deal both from this group and
various books. I've posted a few times since with some reasonable
questions and have received well informed answers. Once again, many
thanks for all the help.

That said, someone replied to my first post by saying that the only
stupid questions here were the ones not asked, so, here are a few
incredibly dumb questions to which I have no good answer. I am
hoping someone will help alleviate my cluelessness.

1) Where does one find plain old circulated SBA dollars? Are these
still available to a small extent at banks?

Yes. Most banks and cedit unions around here are happy to sell you loose
coins or rolls of dollar coins (just keeps them from having to send them
back, since they obviously aren't going to allow them to be used in
commerce). Those rolls are usually mixed SBA and GD, although sometimes
they are all of one or the other.

2) I've gone to four seperate banks looking for regular half dollars
and they usually look at me as if I'm crazy and then are most
impatient when they go to scrounge up whatever they can find. Is
this the usual state of affairs? For instance, it's easier to get
SAC dollars at the machine in the post office than it is at the bank.
Is it a similar situation for halves?

I don't have any problem getting rolls of dollars or half dollars (Kennedy
only) at the local banks and credit unions here on the Central Coast of
California. I keep several rolls of each on hand and carry 3 or 4 of each
at all times to use as tips and to purchase inexpensive items.

3) I've gotten numerous rolls of coins at the bank (cents, dimes,
quarters) to sort through to fill some of the inexpensive Littleton
folders I have. Half of the rolls I get provide a good mix of dates
regardless of denomination. Yet, the other half of the time I seem
to get entire rolls of a specific date and mint mark. Provided these
aren't obviously hand rolled and in shotgun rolls, are these usually
uncirculated coins from the Federal Reserve branch in town?

Can't help you here. The only time I have ever got a roll of coins where
all were the same date and mint mark was when buying mint rolls straight
from the Mint.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old November 24th 04, 02:51 AM
B.J. Herbison

Chris Mitchell wrote:
1) Where does one find plain old circulated SBA dollars? Are these still
available to a small extent at banks?

About 25% of the dollar coins I've picked up recently have been SBA.
Many banks have some dollar coins, and some have lots of rolls.

2) I've gone to four seperate banks looking for regular half dollars and
they usually look at me as if I'm crazy and then are most impatient when
they go to scrounge up whatever they can find. Is this the usual state of
affairs? For instance, it's easier to get SAC dollars at the machine in the
post office than it is at the bank. Is it a similar situation for halves?

Most bank tellers are glad to get rid of any funny money they have --
they don't want the stuff cluttering up their drawers. The occasional
banks that don't have any usually have a regular customer (or relative
of an employee) who takes all they get.

B.J.

--
B.J. Herbison / / http://www.herbison.com/herbison/bj.html
The Next Asylum / 203 Long Hill Road / Bolton, MA 01740-1421 / +1 978

Old November 24th 04, 03:45 AM
SCHMIDTL14

HI Chris, ask the friendly tellers that you come to know to order you whatever
ammount of halfs or SBAs you want. My bank orders 1,000.00$ worth of halfs
almost every tuesday. If I don't buy all of them they keep them until I do.
Don't mind the impatient tellers as they seem to be mostly menaspausel head
tellers. Most tellers warm up after they get to know you.
The mint state rolls that I get come from the counting houses, as the
closest Fed Res. is 500 miles away. Last month I bought a 100.00$ box of 2002D
Jeffersons. I also purchased 1 box of Peace Medal and 2 boxes of Keelboats from
different banks. Last week I bought 50 loose rolls of of Jeffersons and 47
were Keelboats. I only kept a few rolls of each though. I like older
Jeffersons better. I searched 700 rolls
of Jeffersons last week and quit cold turkey yestreday. My grades were
suffering. I'll go back to halfs after finals next month.
If you have any more stupid questions, I have plenty more stupid awnsers.
As my humorous biology teacher said, there are no stupid questions, just
stupid people.
Regards,
Dan

Old November 24th 04, 03:57 AM
George D

Chris Mitchell wrote:
Hello all,

When I first made a post here about two months ago about being new to coin
collecting, I have learned a great deal both from this group and various
books. I've posted a few times since with some reasonable questions and
have received well informed answers. Once again, many thanks for all the
help.

That said, someone replied to my first post by saying that the only stupid
questions here were the ones not asked, so, here are a few incredibly dumb
questions to which I have no good answer. I am hoping someone will help
alleviate my cluelessness.

1) Where does one find plain old circulated SBA dollars? Are these still
available to a small extent at banks?

I get them mixed with the Sacs. I get from the bank. When I use the PO machines I get
mixed types also

2) I've gone to four seperate banks looking for regular half dollars and
they usually look at me as if I'm crazy and then are most impatient when
they go to scrounge up whatever they can find. Is this the usual state of
affairs? For instance, it's easier to get SAC dollars at the machine in the
post office than it is at the bank. Is it a similar situation for halves?

I normally do not get any static from the tellers in the 2 banks I go to. Of course I am
there from 3 to 5 times a week and am a merchant which helps. Get to know one of the
tellers and it will go much smoother.

3) I've gotten numerous rolls of coins at the bank (cents, dimes, quarters)
to sort through to fill some of the inexpensive Littleton folders I have.
Half of the rolls I get provide a good mix of dates regardless of
denomination. Yet, the other half of the time I seem to get entire rolls of
a specific date and mint mark. Provided these aren't obviously hand rolled
and in shotgun rolls, are these usually uncirculated coins from the Federal
Reserve branch in town?

If they are all current dates they are probably Uncirculated. If they are older dates they
may be from another collector that is getting rid of some of the coins he has no need for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ
AAA, AARP, ANA, NRA, RCC ?+1, PIA, PIAAZ, GATF 85006-3032-18-4

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old November 24th 04, 04:32 AM
Jerry Dennis

"Chris Mitchell" writes:

When I first made a post here about two months ago about being new to coin
collecting, I have learned a great deal both from this group and various
books. I've posted a few times since with some reasonable questions and
have received well informed answers. Once again, many thanks for all the
help.

That said, someone replied to my first post by saying that the only stupid
questions here were the ones not asked, so, here are a few incredibly dumb
questions to which I have no good answer. I am hoping someone will help
alleviate my cluelessness.

1) Where does one find plain old circulated SBA dollars? Are these still
available to a small extent at banks?

Depending on your bank, you may still be able to get uncirculated rolls of 1999
SBAs. In my area of NY State, I usually pick up a couple of hand-wrapped rolls
of dollar coins and there are usually a few Suzies mixed in with the Sacs.
Some banks will have hand-wrapped rolls of SBAs marked "Rare Dollar Coins from
the 1900s." (Hey, Fred!) These will be SBAs.

2) I've gone to four seperate banks looking for regular half dollars and
they usually look at me as if I'm crazy and then are most impatient when
they go to scrounge up whatever they can find. Is this the usual state of
affairs? For instance, it's easier to get SAC dollars at the machine in the
post office than it is at the bank. Is it a similar situation for halves?

Ah, the never ending search for halves. You might try the main branches of
your local banks, maybe even talk to the vault manager. My son bought a $500
box of them to fill his Kennedy collection, and he picked up quite a few,
including a 1953 Frankllin (EF-40), a few 1964s and about a roll's worth of 40%
Kennedys.

3) I've gotten numerous rolls of coins at the bank (cents, dimes, quarters)
to sort through to fill some of the inexpensive Littleton folders I have.
Half of the rolls I get provide a good mix of dates regardless of
denomination. Yet, the other half of the time I seem to get entire rolls of
a specific date and mint mark. Provided these aren't obviously hand rolled
and in shotgun rolls, are these usually uncirculated coins from the Federal
Reserve branch in town?

Some banks machine wrap their coins themselves rather than bag them and ship
them to the Feds. These should yield the same search results as hand wrapped
rolls. From what I've noticed here, the banks that wrap their own don't
usually get uncirculated coins from their carrier. Those that bag and return
their coins will get uncirculated rolls on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for any help.

And a belated You're Welcome. :-)

Chris

Jerry
Old November 24th 04, 03:48 PM
J. A. M.

Chris Mitchell wrote:

[...]

If you have a business account with the bank it's easy to get rolls of coins.

JAM
Old November 24th 04, 04:27 PM
Edward McGrath

If only the banks had Ike dollars : )

Old November 26th 04, 06:25 AM
M. Scott Reynolds

Amazingly, I got one a few months ago from a teller who asked me if I
wanted the "big silver dollar"! Heck yea, I said! :-) Last time I saw
one at a bank was over 20 years ago.

Scott

Old November 26th 04, 07:00 AM
Henry Mensch

On 2004-11-23 16:12:39 -0800, "Chris Mitchell"
said:
1) Where does one find plain old circulated SBA dollars? Are these
still available to a small extent at banks?

yes. you can also get them (as you've noted below) from post office
vending machines. also, if you are in san francisco you can get $1
coins at change-making machines in certain underground stations.

2) I've gone to four seperate banks looking for regular half dollars
and they usually look at me as if I'm crazy and then are most impatient
when they go to scrounge up whatever they can find. Is this the usual
state of affairs?

usually. depends on whether the folks at the bank know you or not, how
the coins circulate in your area, ... if the coins don't circulate then
your bank won't see too many of them unless they place an order ... or
unless someone deposits them. you may get a better reception if you're
a regular depositor at the branch where you make your query ...

--
# henry mensch / san francisco california
# http://www.henare.tk/