FA: Added a couple interesting error coins.

Old March 30th 04, 01:00 PM
MarkC

Default FA: Added a couple interesting error coins.

Here's a few more to go with my spring cleaning.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&userid=vikubz

Thanks,
Mark

Old March 30th 04, 02:08 PM
Mike Diamond

Nice stretch on the double struck cent. It looks like there may be some
post-strike damage in the lower right quadrant, though.

Host: Error Coin Information Exchange (Yahoo:Groups); CONECA #2969.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a
member of..
Old March 31st 04, 02:17 AM
MarkC

Mike Diamond wrote:
Nice stretch on the double struck cent. It looks like there may be some
post-strike damage in the lower right quadrant, though.

Host: Error Coin Information Exchange (Yahoo:Groups); CONECA #2969.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a
member of..

Looking with my 10X loupe, what looks like a notch is actually more of a
shelf, if that makes sense.

Mark

Old March 31st 04, 04:39 AM
Mike Diamond

Looking with my 10X loupe, what looks like a notch is actually more of a
shelf, if that makes sense.

I can't generate a clear mental image from your description. However, if the
coin is warped, that is a clear indicator of post-strike damage. If the
reverse is flattened opposite the "notch", that is also an indicator of
post-strike damage.

Old April 1st 04, 01:41 AM
MarkC

Mike Diamond wrote:
Looking with my 10X loupe, what looks like a notch is actually more of a
shelf, if that makes sense.

I can't generate a clear mental image from your description. However, if the
coin is warped, that is a clear indicator of post-strike damage. If the
reverse is flattened opposite the "notch", that is also an indicator of
post-strike damage.

Perhaps a better description would be a step, as opposed to a valley.

Probably is some post-strike damage. Next I wonder, with errors of this
type, how can one tell which things happened after the striking, and
which are a result of the striking process? There's quite a bit going on
with the second strike and the stretch and all.

Mark

Old April 1st 04, 05:16 AM
Mike Diamond

Next I wonder, with errors of this
type, how can one tell which things happened after the striking, and
which are a result of the striking process? There's quite a bit going on
with the second strike and the stretch and all.

There's no way to summarize all the diagnostics of a genuine error vs.
post-strike damage. There are hundreds of basic error types, innumerable
subtypes, an infinite number of combinations and permutations, and a large
number of effects associated with each error type.

One needs to start with a thorough knowledge of the minting process. The steps
involved in preparing a die, preparing a planchet, and striking a coin imposes
a set of constraints on the finished appearance of a coin. Violation of these
"rules" is always cause for concern. Warping of a coin's surface, or a "step"
on the surface is a clear indicator of post-strike damage, since the die face
itself has no such topography.

Old April 1st 04, 12:20 PM
MarkC

Mike Diamond wrote:
[...]

What about the collar around the die, or other machinery parts?
When a coin it that far out of alignment on a strike, can it be affected
by other things?

I've never seen the process in person, but with a piece of high speed
industrial equipment operating at 15 tons of pressure or so, it would
seem a lot of things could affect the coin?

Mark