Coin Books

Old February 15th 04, 01:34 AM
Dale Hallmark

Default Coin Books

I placed an order for David Sear's book:
Roman Coins and their Value, Volume I (Millennium Edition )

I already have the Volume II and it is a great book!

Looking forward to Volume III!

Reid can have his Greek crap :-)) LOL (just kidding)
However, I have to admit that as for beauty, the Romans leave a little to be
desired over the Greek stuff.
Another however, as for interest, diversity, and historical siginificance,
they equal any other
area of numismaticts that you care to name. As for duration (tenacity) they
far exceed all others!

My collection of Roman coin books, presently at 7 now exceedes my collection
of Roman coins!
This is an area of numismatics that I have long been attracted to but have
been very reluctant to delve into.

I ain't starting yet and it is the only area of numismatics that I have ever
bought the book before I bought the coin!

Dale
Life is shorter than the coin supply! Damn it!

Old February 15th 04, 03:03 AM
The Fausts

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
I placed an order for David Sear's book:
Roman Coins and their Value, Volume I (Millennium Edition )

I already have the Volume II and it is a great book!

Looking forward to Volume III!

Reid can have his Greek crap :-)) LOL (just kidding)
However, I have to admit that as for beauty, the Romans leave a little to

be
desired over the Greek stuff.
Another however, as for interest, diversity, and historical siginificance,
they equal any other
area of numismaticts that you care to name. As for duration (tenacity)

they
far exceed all others!

It's great how different, but complementary, Greek and Roman coins are.
Between the two there's something for just about anyone, and for many
people, the two together provide everything for one person.

My collection of Roman coin books, presently at 7 now exceedes my

collection
of Roman coins!
This is an area of numismatics that I have long been attracted to but have
been very reluctant to delve into.

Dive in, you won't regret it! A complete type set here would be require many
lifetimes and lottery winnings.

Dale
Life is shorter than the coin supply! Damn it!

Exactly what I mean.

Eric

Old February 15th 04, 08:03 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:34:23 -0600, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

Reid can have his Greek crap :-)) LOL (just kidding)

Hey! OK, how's this: Since you don't like Greek coins, I'll trade you
an equivalent Roman coin for any Greek coin you have now or acquire in
the future -- VF denarius for a VF drachm, etc. That way, I'll have
all the crappy Greek stuff, and you can have all the beautifully
styled, never debased Roman stuff. g

I ain't starting yet and it is the only area of numismatics that I have ever
bought the book before I bought the coin!

There's a lot of good information on the Web too about ancient coins.
Here's part of an article I wrote about this not long ago. You may be
familiar with some of these sites but maybe not all:

INFORMATIONAL WEB SITES

Out of their love for ancient coins and as a service to others, a
number of ancient coin collectors have put up informational Web sites,
usually lavishly illustrated with coin images. A number of dealers
include useful instructional information at their Web sites as well.

Brad's Introduction to Ancient Coins
http://www.blarg.net/~brad/coins.htm

This site deals mostly with Roman coins, but this is where a lot of
people get started, as ancient Roman coins are on average are about
one-third the cost of ancient Greek coins. You can read about buying
and storing, identifying and attributing, grading, and fakes.

Doug Smith's Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
http://dougsmith.ancients.info

This is the most comprehensive collector site about ancient coins on
the Web. Doug has written and illustrated more than 100 pages of
information, including pages on coins of various Roman emperors and
Greek city-states, coins of the "barbarians," judging the
attractiveness of ancient coin styles, ancient coin glossaries, plated
and countermarked coins, coin photography, and stereo microscopes.

Warren Esty's Ancient Roman and Greek Coins FAQ
http://www.math.montana.edu/~umsfwest/numis

The server of this site is usually very slow, making surfing somewhat
tedious, but if you're patient, the wait is worth it. You'll find good
advice about buying and selling ancient coins, various collecting
strategies, women on ancient coins, grading, and fakes.

Dennis Rider's Ancient Cash
http://www.ancientcash.com

Using a clever image map of a real map of the ancient world, you
navigate to Rome, Greece, Macedonia, Asia Minor, Egypt, and elsewhere.
Once there, you see and read about examples of the coins that were
minted in these locales, and you also read background historical
information about the places themselves.

Tom Buggey's Ancient Coins: In Praise of the Celators
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~tjbuggey/coin.html

Here you'll find a complete list of Roman emperors, a list of Roman
mints and mint marks, a list of Roman coin denominations, common
abbreviations, maps of ancient Rome and Greece, astronomical symbols
on ancient coins, nominations for the most beautiful ancient coins,
and tips for new collectors with a limited coin budget.

The Money Museum
http://www.moneymuseum.com/index_english.html

An offering from Germany with an English version, this site has lots
of information about money in general, including coins. There's
material about ancient, medieval, and modern coins, coin production,
how the eagle got on coins, lions on coins, women on coins, and more.

Bearers of Meaning
http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/art/bue.../contents.html

This scholarly site hasn't been added to in a while, but the
information is still useful. You'll find essays about ancient coin
production, portraiture, and other subjects as well as a catalog of
ancient coins with detailed descriptions.

Barry & Darling Ancient Coins
http://www.bitsofhistory.com/index_info.html

One of the best ancient coin informational sites from a dealer, this
site provides a plethora of information covering coin hoards, cleaning
ancient coins, spotting counterfeits, the origins of ancient coins,
deciphering Roman inscriptions, and ancient mythology.

Harlan J. Berk
http://www.harlanjberk.com/departmen...s/articles.htm

You'll find a number of articles here from a well-respected ancient
coin numismatist and dealer. Along with articles about specific coins,
there's also a suggested catalog of your first 25 Greek gold and
electrum coins and your first 25 Greek silver coins.

Pegasi Online
http://www.pegasionline.com/html/archives.cfm

You'll find a whopping 127 articles here about various topics related
to ancient coins, though most are short, introductory pieces. Most of
the articles describe the history and numismatic output of various
regions of the ancient world.

Ancient Impressions
http://aicoins.tripod.com/ai

Here you'll find common Roman coin inscriptions and terms, a list of
Roman emperors, a list of women on Roman coins, imperial titles, and
gods and goddesses on Roman coins.

Indo-European Chronology
http://www.geocities.com/indoeurop/p...on/chronn.html

Here's a site about history, not about coins, but it provides
excellent background information about the people who minted and used
ancient coins and the places where they lived.

PRICING AND ATTRIBTION

You can also find excellent information on the Web about ancient coin
pricing and attribution.

Wildwinds
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins

This site provides the descriptions and prices realized of Roman,
Greek, Byzantine, and Celtic coin auctions, primarily from eBay. The
attributions are all provided by sellers, but this is still a good
place to go when you're looking for information about your coins or
for information about what coins you may be interested in have sold
for.

Virtual Catalog of Roman Coins
http://artemis.austincollege.edu/acad/cml/rcape/vcrc

This site focuses just on Roman coins, but it's a quick and easy way
to view and read about and identify representative Roman Imperial
coins of various emperors and Roman Republic coins of various time
periods.

FORVM Ancient Coins
http://ancient-coin-forum.com/catalog.htm

This site provides a helpful "Attribution Assist System" where you
type in a word or words from the legend of a Roman Imperial coin to
try to identify which emperor minted it.

Jencek's Ancient Coins and Antiques
http://www.ancient-coins.com

Similarly, this site provides a search engine, in this case for
obverse legends of Roman coins, along with a list and description of
Roman emperors and a handful of articles on other subjects.

CoinArchives.com
http://www.coinarchives.com

This is a relatively new site that provides the descriptions and
prices realized of ancient coins from European and U.S. auction
houses, which typically are higher end, and higher priced, than those
sold through eBay.

Often the descriptions at CoinArchives.com are in languages other than
English (mostly German), though you can usually make sense of them
with the help of a translation tool such as AltaVista's BabelFish, at
http://world.altavista.com/tr. For converting among different
currencies, xe.com, at http://www.xe.com/ucc, is very useful.

Calgary's Modern Fakes of Ancient Coins
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/fakes.htm

Here you'll find excellent information and photos of counterfeits of
ancient coins, including types of modern fakes, how to recognize
forgeries, and recommended books for further study.

Barry & Darling Ancient Coins' Counterfeits and Counterfeiters
http://www.ancient-times.com/newsletters/n13/n13.html

This site also includes good information and photos of fakes of
ancient coins, such as ancient counterfeits, methods of manufacture
for modern counterfeits, ways that counterfeits were detected in
ancient times, and punishment for counterfeiting.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos