When the credit cards stop working...

Old February 19th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bullandbearwise

Default When the credit cards stop working...

Having watched the U.S. dollar credit market debt-to-GDP ratio balloon
to nearly 4:1, I'm growing increasingly uneasy we may be faced with a
credit collapse of the hundred-year-storm variety. As such, I have
been thinking about the best way to survive the possibility of food
lines and armed gangs roaming the streets. My conclusion is the
judicious use of coins, an investment area that is new to me.

I'm less than enthusiastic about flashing Krugerands to buy whatever
food may be for sale any given day. My thinking is along the lines of
1/3-1/2 oz silver coins such as 1964 Kennedy half-dollars or silver-
clad Eisenhowers. By my reckoning, should things get a bit dicey, each
of these should be good for around $50 (today's value) worth of
essentials. Using these would hopefully be not enough to get undue
attention but enough to keep the family fed.

Thoughts? Any better candidates for this sort of protection?

Peter
Old February 19th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Johnson

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:52:45 -0800 (PST), bullandbearwise
wrote:

been thinking about the best way to survive the possibility of food
lines and armed gangs roaming the streets. My conclusion is the
judicious use of coins, an investment area that is new to me.

The way you asked your question, it seems storing food and buying
guns may be a more viable solution than bartering for food with
coins or protecting yourself from those with guns.

Best Regards.
Bob Johnson
http://www.coinsheetlinks.com
Old February 19th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Feb 19, 3:52*pm, bullandbearwise wrote:
[...]

Better stock up on freeze-dried vittles and extra ammunition - they
will be more useful and valuable than gold or silver in such a
scenario.
Old February 19th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"bullandbearwise" wrote in message
[...]

I recall reading that bottles of liquor were the preferred medium of
exchange in New Orleans, post Katrina.

Old February 19th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Ok, forget the armed gangs and food lines. Might be too late by then.

But picture a scenario of a severely stressed banking system where
credit cards don't work anymore. What's the short list of coins you
wish you would have more of.

Peter
Old February 19th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dukenfield

Honus wrote:

[...]

Yes, they work very well in the Grand Canyon too. We used them to trade
for ice, fruit juice and meat with one of the commercial outfitters.

JAM
Old February 20th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

[...]

Just recently checked with both of the banks that I do business with, if
they had accounts in Euros, they don't.

TerryS

Old February 20th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
dissatisfied

Using these would hopefully be not enough to get undue
attention but enough to keep the family fed.
Thoughts? Any better candidates for this sort of protection?

You won't have to worry about keeping the family fed because anyone with a
family tying them down (children) won't last long. When the time you
described comes, gold and silver won't even mean anything. Only water,
food, guns and ammo. My brother and I will be going house to house,
building to building taking everything we need by force and there won't be
anything anyone can do to stop us. We will shoot to kill everyone and
everything in sight that moves.

Old February 20th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Feb 19, 9:52*pm, bullandbearwise wrote:
[...]

You might get more useful comments on a more precisely defined
scenario.
Are merely considering a suspension of bank activity (such as
Roosevelt proclaimed early after his first election)?

Are you considering a local civil disorder?
General war? Famine?

In most likely cases, having actual cash might be enough. My
impression, here, is that most people (in Europe) haven't seen a
silver coin, much less a gold coin. Consequently, you may be thinking
a little far ahead.
Old February 20th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "dissatisfied" wrote:

Using these would hopefully be not enough to get undue
attention but enough to keep the family fed.
Thoughts? Any better candidates for this sort of protection?

You won't have to worry about keeping the family fed because anyone with a
family tying them down (children) won't last long. When the time you
described comes, gold and silver won't even mean anything. Only water,
food, guns and ammo. My brother and I will be going house to house,
building to building taking everything we need by force and there won't be
anything anyone can do to stop us. We will shoot to kill everyone and
everything in sight that moves.

I suspect you yourself would get shot pretty quickly.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :