Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Old October 27th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Mike Schilling

Default Texas Death Penalty was Bookstores Around etc

W. Citoan wrote:
That still states that the power lies with the Governor. He cannot
do it without the recommendation of the board, but the board only
gives a recommendation. It cannot actually pardon anyone.

But he cannot willy-nilly grant pardons or commutations over the
recommendations of the Board so his power is limited.. Take care

Yes. That's what I said...

Of course, since the Board is appointed by the governor, there's no reason
to think they won't act on his suggestion.

Old October 28th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
The Giant Brain

"Stanley Moore" wrote in message
Plenty of defendants in capital cases get the death penalty here in Texas even
with good representation. Texas juries tend to be pretty hard on murderers.
True there have been abuses especially with regard to forensic evidence in
Harris County with prosecutors getting the evidence they expect from the crime
labs but this hopefully has been cleaned up recently.. And it is true that
court assigned lawyers are not always the best but even they must meeet
certain requirements to defend capital cases.. But the fact remains that
Texans are not lenient with murderers. Take care

Texas has the highest percentage of dickheads, rednecks and scumbags in the
nation.
The best thing you can say about Texans is that eventually they will wind up
executing all of themselves.
Every country needs an asshole and Texas performs that role perfectly.

Old December 2nd 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Mark Zenier

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANT

In article ,
Stephen Graham wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:

Worth adding is Abraxus Books, 5711 24th Ave NW, in Ballard. They built
a new branch library in Ballard (along with about a dozen others on a
big bond issue) and the 1970's vintage not so old library is now a used
book store. Average for Science Fiction, but the Philosophy section
is impressive.

That's out-of-date. Abraxus moved to Lower Queen Anne about a month ago.
524 1st Avenue.

There's at least one more used bookstore in Ballard, too,
(Epilogue Books?) that I've not been to yet.

2001 NW Market St. I haven't been in it recently but my roommate thinks
it's reasonably good.

According to my sister, Epilogue ended up with a non-negotiable
landlord and recently finished their going out of business sale.

[Deity of your choice], preserve us from illiterate real estate
investors and managers.

Mark Zenier

Old December 20th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
J[_2_]

On Dec 2, 2:25�pm, (Mark Zenier) wrote:

According to my sister, Epilogue ended up with a non-negotiable
landlord and recently finished their going out of business sale.

[Deity of your choice], preserve us from illiterate real estate
investors and managers.

I own a two-family house in a modest residential neighborhood in New
York City. My taxes go up every year, and most years there's an
inctrease in the assessed value of my property as well (which is
another way of increasing the taxes). The cost of electricty, water,
and gas go up, never down--and those are just the major monthly
expenses.

We booklovers often like to demonize landlords, but most of them are
just businesspeople, too, looking to make a return on their
investment.

Old December 28th 09, 07:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
John Duncan Yoyo

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 06:21:13 -0800 (PST), J
wrote:

On Dec 2, 2:25?pm, (Mark Zenier) wrote:

According to my sister, Epilogue ended up with a non-negotiable
landlord and recently finished their going out of business sale.

[Deity of your choice], preserve us from illiterate real estate
investors and managers.

I own a two-family house in a modest residential neighborhood in New
York City. My taxes go up every year, and most years there's an
inctrease in the assessed value of my property as well (which is
another way of increasing the taxes). The cost of electricty, water,
and gas go up, never down--and those are just the major monthly
expenses.

We booklovers often like to demonize landlords, but most of them are
just businesspeople, too, looking to make a return on their
investment.

The problem is that these landlords sacrifice the businesses that
could pay them something for rent. They kill the business that gets
into trouble instead of working something out. Now they get nothing
for rent and have a vacant maybe an unrentable property. So they
screw themselves.
Old December 28th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Mark Zenier

wrote:

On Dec 2, 2:25?pm, (Mark Zenier) wrote:

According to my sister, Epilogue ended up with a non-negotiable
landlord and recently finished their going out of business sale.

[Deity of your choice], preserve us from illiterate real estate
investors and managers.

I own a two-family house in a modest residential neighborhood in New
York City. My taxes go up every year, and most years there's an
inctrease in the assessed value of my property as well (which is
another way of increasing the taxes). The cost of electricty, water,
and gas go up, never down--and those are just the major monthly
expenses.

Well, in Seattle, (the location of the bookstore in question),
my real estate assesment went down by 20% because of the popping
of the bubble.

We booklovers often like to demonize landlords, but most of them are
just businesspeople, too, looking to make a return on their
investment.

The problem is that these landlords sacrifice the businesses that
could pay them something for rent. They kill the business that gets
into trouble instead of working something out. Now they get nothing
for rent and have a vacant maybe an unrentable property. So they
screw themselves.

There is (or was) a lot of B grade retail around here, either buildings
dating back to when there were trollys and are now out of the traffic
pattern, or old strip malls that never made it. Prime territory for
used bookstores or other high inventory/low turnover businesses.

The common story here is that the landlord dies and the next or next+1
generation puts the properties under professional managment. And junior
employee at the management firm decides that they can get a lot more
money out of the location, despite lousy parking and no foot traffic.
So yet another local business that's been there for decades ends up as
an empty store front.

Mark Zenier