ANI stinks

Old August 31st 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

Default ANI stinks

"Purchased" an 1858 Flying eagle cent in an ANI case graded VF-30. Shoulda
heeded the few warnings about 3rd tier graders.
Turns out when I got the coin and could inspect it ,it would probably grade
VG -8,except for the gouge on the reverse which wasn't shown in the lousy
picture.
Now,I know grading is subjective,but between VG an VF-30 is a big gap.The
tail feathers are barely show seperation.There's about 25% wing feather
detail.The eagle head and eye are very worn. It's just awful(for a VF). Good
news is,I get my money back,including shipping so I won't mention the shop I
got it from. I've learnt' my lesson cheaply.

Old August 31st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:16:08 GMT, don't look don't wrote:

Now,I know grading is subjective,but between VG an VF-30 is a big gap.The
tail feathers are barely show seperation.There's about 25% wing feather
detail.The eagle head and eye are very worn. It's just awful(for a VF). Good
news is,I get my money back,including shipping so I won't mention the shop I
got it from. I've learnt' my lesson cheaply.

And, they'll sell it to some other sucker, over and over maybe, until it
finally finds an ignorantly happy owner. Disgusting.

Old August 31st 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:16:08 GMT, don't look don't wrote:

Now,I know grading is subjective,but between VG an VF-30 is a big

gap.The
tail feathers are barely show seperation.There's about 25% wing feather
detail.The eagle head and eye are very worn. It's just awful(for a VF).

Good
news is,I get my money back,including shipping so I won't mention the

shop I
got it from. I've learnt' my lesson cheaply.

And, they'll sell it to some other sucker, over and over maybe, until it
finally finds an ignorantly happy owner. Disgusting.

You're both right..If they hadn't taken it back,I'd either keep it or crack
it out of the holder and show both sides and honestly describe it.
I still don't think I'd feel right reselling it even properly described and
removed from the capsule..I told them the exact problems with the coin but
there isn't much more I can do.
Don't buy anything from 3rd tier graders.And make sure the person you buy
from has a return/refund policy.

Old August 31st 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

And, they'll sell it to some other sucker, over and over maybe, until it
finally finds an ignorantly happy owner. Disgusting.

Well put. And such is the essence of collectors and collecting.

Old August 31st 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Ng

don't look wrote:
"Purchased" an 1858 Flying eagle cent in an ANI case graded VF-30. Shoulda
heeded the few warnings about 3rd tier graders.
Turns out when I got the coin and could inspect it ,it would probably grade
VG -8,except for the gouge on the reverse which wasn't shown in the lousy
picture.
Now,I know grading is subjective,but between VG an VF-30 is a big gap.The
tail feathers are barely show seperation.There's about 25% wing feather
detail.The eagle head and eye are very worn. It's just awful(for a VF). Good
news is,I get my money back,including shipping so I won't mention the shop I
got it from. I've learnt' my lesson cheaply.

Yes,

But did you pay VG price or VF-30 price or something in between?

Mike
Old August 31st 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"Michael Ng" wrote in message
don't look wrote:
[...]

Doesn't matter.It wasn't cheap.But it wasn't retail either..The main point
is it was professionally graded by ANI,badly.Secondary point is I believe
that damage was intentionally hidden.

Old August 31st 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coinenthusiast

"don't look" don't wrote in message

"Michael Ng" wrote in message
don't look wrote:
[...]

Howdy;

If I have the correct auction the hammer price was less than greysheet bid -
for a VG.

Of course the shipping was ridiculous but still the scan showed enough IMHO
to determine a G-VG grade and with some porous surfaces.

But you are right, it is very easy to "doctor" problems so they don't
appear.

I hope his "merchandise credit" refund is not true.

Regards

Dan

Old August 31st 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Ng

don't look wrote:

Doesn't matter.It wasn't cheap.But it wasn't retail either..The main point
is it was professionally graded by ANI,badly.Secondary point is I believe
that damage was intentionally hidden.

It does matter. Too many times, people look for bargains, thinking that
they can get the $10,000 coin in MS65 when in fact they paid only $100
and it turned out to be an MS63 coin.

On online auctions such as eBay, you really can't expect much, even for
the top tier grading services. What does eBay do? It allows amateurs
to sell coins as they please. These amateurs believe, and sometimes
strongly so, that they can get "labelled grade" prices just because "I
said so."

In fact, 80% of the coins of PCGS and NGC on eBay that I've bought don't
meet my criteria for the assigned grade.

Buy the coin, not the holder, and if you can't determine what the coin
is, buy based on strong reliable knowledge, and if you can't buy based
on strong reliable knowledge, don't buy.

Mike
Old August 31st 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"don't look" don't wrote in message

ANI stinks

Well... of course!

What is the plural of "anus"?

--

Jeff R.

Old September 1st 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"Michael Ng" wrote in message
don't look wrote:

[...]

That's fine. I agree it's partly my fault.But,my points still stand.I knew I
wasn't going to make any kind of big bucks on this one lousy coin.I just
wanted a decent example of a Flying Eagle without paying 50% retail markup.I
like coins,but I'm not rolling in dough.Anything wrong with that?I'll get
one too.Pete

U.S. Mint Service Stinks! RF Coins 5 March 18th 07 12:06 AM
Scott catalog stinks! Ralphael1 General Discussion 9 August 18th 06 07:24 PM
Scott catalog Stinks... Ralphael1 General Discussion 8 January 26th 06 12:45 PM