Can we change the name of this group?

Old May 30th 04, 08:40 PM
Lloyd Thoburn

Default Can we change the name of this group?

I don't know if everybody agrees with me, but I don't know how people
find this group. If you do a google search for groups on jukebox, you
don't get this group, yet if you search for pinball, you immediately
get a busy vibrant online group. Could we get a rec.games.jukebox or
something similar going so the group could be expanded? I sell
hundreds of video arcade games and pinballs off the newsgroups, but
almost no jukeboxes, and I think one reason is the newsgroup name is
so difficult to track down. Anybody else feel like I do? I think a
group with the name jukebox instead of juke-boxes would get a lot more
interest and activity. Lloyd from www.coinopwarehouse.com
Old May 30th 04, 08:49 PM
Bob E.

Lloyd Thoburn wrote:

I don't know if everybody agrees with me, but I don't know how people
find this group. If you do a google search for groups on jukebox, you
don't get this group, yet if you search for pinball, you immediately
get a busy vibrant online group. Could we get a rec.games.jukebox or
something similar going so the group could be expanded? I sell
hundreds of video arcade games and pinballs off the newsgroups, but
almost no jukeboxes, and I think one reason is the newsgroup name is
so difficult to track down. Anybody else feel like I do? I think a
group with the name jukebox instead of juke-boxes would get a lot more
interest and activity. Lloyd from www.coinopwarehouse.com

It isn't as easy as it sounds. You should read up on how newsgroups
are created:

http://www.duke.edu/~mg/usenet/newnewsgroup.html

Basically, to get it started in any heirarchy except for "alt", you
have to put out a call for discussion, then take votes, and you have
to have the necessary proportion of yes votes. I don't think names
can be changed, only created.

It is simpler for "alt" groups, but then, we already have one! You
can just add it to your newsreader subscription list, or if you must
google, refine your Google search techniques!

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)
Old May 30th 04, 10:00 PM
Ken In Texas

The reason why the alt group was picked is because of the difficulty in
getting a "non alt" based group approved and started.

The other issue is that pinball and video games are much more popular
than jukes. We just dont get the traffic the other two do and never
will. I doubt changing the name of the group would help.

My jukebox pages on my website got about 25,000 hits this month...while
my pinball pages got almost 500,000

When I did a search for "jukebox newsgroup" on google I saw several hits
in the top 10 that would lead people here. If you search the groups
section of google for "jukebox" it will not return a good hit. However
a search there for "jukeboxes" will return this group.

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.