Help with 200? Dime error???

Old January 31st 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Help with 200? Dime error???

I found this in my pocket change and noticed this on the date, the date
reads 200 with a very faint top of a 2 on the end I scanned a picture and
would like opinions of this and is it common or what...since I"m new at
collecting coins. TIA

Tina

http://members.cox.net/thouse5/2002dime.html

Old January 31st 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

It's an example of what can happen when a recessed part of the die, in
this case the last digit of the date, fills with grease during the
minting process. It's interesting, but not valuable.

Very good picture, by the way!

...Tom

Old January 31st 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"LRC-Tom" wrote in message
ps.com...
It's an example of what can happen when a recessed part of the die, in
this case the last digit of the date, fills with grease during the
minting process. It's interesting, but not valuable.

Very good picture, by the way!

..Tom

Thanks Tom...I scanned it and did a 200% so ya can see the detail...I think
I did it in grayscale also.

Tina

Old January 31st 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

A filled die. I found one just like it only it was a 200-P dated coin. You
can see it at

http://coins.richlh.com/Coins/Errors...D_10c_date.htm.

They are interesting but not very valuable.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

Old February 1st 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Tina" wrote in message
I found this in my pocket change and noticed this on the date, the date
reads 200 with a very faint top of a 2 on the end I scanned a picture and
would like opinions of this and is it common or what...since I"m new at
collecting coins. TIA

Tina

http://members.cox.net/thouse5/2002dime.html

2002's and 2000's of both MM's had problems with the blanks--they didn't get
softened up enough when they made the rims. You can tell that's what this
one is because you can see the lighter colored area near the rim all the way
around the coin. Plus because the digit didn't get fully struck it would
make it more prone for the die to wear out faster there and also be more
prone to filling up with goo.
There are hundreds of millions just like it. The ones that are worthy don't
show any of the last digit at all or better still have a fully struck last
digit. The ones that have the complete last digit are tougher to find than
what you found.
HTH

Old February 1st 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message
. ..
A filled die. I found one just like it only it was a 200-P dated coin.

You
can see it at

http://coins.richlh.com/Coins/Errors...D_10c_date.htm.

They are interesting but not very valuable.

--
Richard

Why does your URL say 2000-D?

Jonathan_ATC

coin disposal - headed for bullion paragon Coins 8 January 25th 05 09:53 PM
2003 Dime error? Shystev99 Coins 2 November 15th 03 09:03 PM
FA: 1844-O RARE Seated 1/2 Dime & 180deg rev rotation error! Jon L. Coins 1 October 3rd 03 05:32 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM
interesting stamping error on dime Edward McGrath Coins 3 July 26th 03 01:59 PM