89 years on the march

Old January 31st 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 89 years on the march

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:32:01 -0500, Alan Williams
is alleged to have written:
And Lord only knows where it's been! But it's home now, home for good.
Just popped out of a roll of nickles I got at the bank this morning, a
1917 Buffalo Nickel, full date, G-4. Welcome home, old man.

I had a feeling I was due for another Buffalo. The real one, not the
2005 honorary bison. ;-)

Some people may not like roll searches or collecting this way. Some may
prefer browsing the web to buy ancient coins using their credit cards.
Cleaned ancient coins. Cleaned ancient coins of uncertain provenance.
And demanding that all reference works on said material be in English.
To each their own. g

Alan
'just what I hear'

Gotcha beat this time! A 1903 5c grading fine or showed up at the
local McDonalds last week. Technically, I didn't find it...the clerk
did and held it for me.

Bruce (Perhaps it will be a lucky year)

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old January 31st 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

[...]

You got me beat and not just for this time! I have never found a
Liberty 'V' nickel in circulation, either in a roll search, in change or
laying unclaimed in a public space. The only one I've ever had that
wasn't in a collector's hand was buried in plaster between layers of
wallpaper over 12 inch thick locust logs chicked with cement over mud.

Alan
'if everything was that hard to find, I'd be empty-handed'
Old January 31st 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

John wrote:

"e" wrote in message
In article ,
(Jim Birkner) wrote:

That's a good fine but back in Aug 2005. I stopped at a local Burger
King for a breakfast sandwich, drive through. Gave the lady my money and
of course she handed me my change. As I drove away and was about to
throw the change into my car change holder, I looked and there was an
1883 Liberty Nickel in EF condition. She must have thought it was a
foreign coin. That's the oldest I ever found and I use to search rolls
back in the 60's. Oh by the way, it was the NO CENT type. Can't win them
all.

Jim.

i'm curious to know everyone's best circ find.
mine was an 89cc morgan in 1955.
in the 20-30's, my grandfather put 2 complete morgan sets
together from circulation, (minus proofs, of course). i will
never even come close.....
he also got a lot of saints but not a set.

Mine is no where close to that. I did find a 37 buff nickel in my daughters
change bottle. She and my son save their change, which I then search through
and give them the cash for. Better than coin star! I don't charge them the 3
% or whatever it is. I know, what a guy huh :-)
Last year when going through my son's change I found a 1995 DDO Lincoln
which was very cool. Neither they or my wife see what I get out of doing the
searches, but I always enjoy it

John C (Fl)

OHHH!!! Congrats on the 95 DDO. I continue to look....

Alan
'many thousands of non-DD DDOs found'
Old January 31st 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Alan Williams" wrote in message

Mine, in terms of value, is a tossup between the 4 (four) 1999 Type 2
Lincoln Cents that have crossed my felt and a 1972 DDO cent. In terms
of pure 'Hey! Lookie here!'...I like my blank cent planchet and the
Peruvian one cent piece with that rather brutish-looking portrait. ;-)

Alan
'cuds, culls and curios'

I have looked and looked for a 1999 type 2 and have yet to see one. I have
several of the type 2 98 and 2000. Also congrats on the 72 DDO. I received a
wheatie the other day and saw 1955...
My heart leaped at the thought of a 55 DDO, but it was a short lived
excitement...oh well, the search continues! Wouldn't care to swap a 99 for
either a 98 or 2000 would ya hmmm?

John C (Fl)
cross-eyed but having fun...

Old January 31st 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote in message
Gotcha beat this time! A 1903 5c grading fine or showed up at the
local McDonalds last week. Technically, I didn't find it...the clerk
did and held it for me.

Bruce (Perhaps it will be a lucky year)

That's the kind of clerk I like. Maybe I should eat more happy meals!

John C (Fl)

Old January 31st 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

John wrote:

"Alan Williams" wrote in message

Mine, in terms of value, is a tossup between the 4 (four) 1999 Type 2
Lincoln Cents that have crossed my felt and a 1972 DDO cent. In terms
of pure 'Hey! Lookie here!'...I like my blank cent planchet and the
Peruvian one cent piece with that rather brutish-looking portrait. ;-)

Alan
'cuds, culls and curios'

I have looked and looked for a 1999 type 2 and have yet to see one. I have
several of the type 2 98 and 2000. Also congrats on the 72 DDO. I received a
wheatie the other day and saw 1955...
My heart leaped at the thought of a 55 DDO, but it was a short lived
excitement...oh well, the search continues! Wouldn't care to swap a 99 for
either a 98 or 2000 would ya hmmm?

John C (Fl)
cross-eyed but having fun...

Ummm...no thanks anyway. I have some of each. Wierdly, I now have
found more 1999's than 1998's (3)
or 2000 Type 2's (1) ! Everything I see online and in the price guides
says the 1999's are the rare (as opposed to scarce) ones. I must be
sitting in the right pocket or something.

Alan
'location,location,location'
Old January 31st 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

True, you surely must be in the right location. I figured it couldn't hurt
to ask. Thanks any ways.
I did look through some rolls today (8) nickel and (8) cents, and found the
following...

nickels
1939 (1)
1941 (1)
1952S (1)
1952 (1)
1953D (1)
1953 (1)
1954 (1)
1956D (1)
1956 (1)
1957D (3)
1958D (1)
1959D (8)
1970S (1)

Cents:
1944D (1)
1969S (1)
1970S (1)
1971S (1)
1972S (1)
1973S (1)
and 1 UK penny 1990

20 of the nickels were found in 1 roll
All of the S mint cents were in 1 roll

Not a bad haul

John C (Fl)

Old January 31st 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

John wrote:

(snip)

Cents:
1944D (1)
1969S (1)
1970S (1)
1971S (1)
1972S (1)
1973S (1)
and 1 UK penny 1990

20 of the nickels were found in 1 roll
All of the S mint cents were in 1 roll

Not a bad haul

Not bad? NOT BAD!! I have yet find a single 1969-S Lincoln in a roll
search, and only one 1968-S. 1974-S is plentiful, 70-73 are not
unknown, but the 68-S and 69-S do not pop out of circulation very often!

Alan
'100 make a dollar, unless they predate 1959'
Old January 31st 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:08:07 -0500, "John" is
alleged to have written:

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote in message
.. .
Gotcha beat this time! A 1903 5c grading fine or showed up at the
local McDonalds last week. Technically, I didn't find it...the clerk
did and held it for me.

Bruce (Perhaps it will be a lucky year)

That's the kind of clerk I like. Maybe I should eat more happy meals!

John C (Fl)

Just be a regular at the local fast food or kwickie mart. Once they
recognize you as a regular more than not are willing to pull change
for you.

It also helps if you offer them 2x face minimum. :-)

Bruce (And you can count these as found in change!)