You want weird? I got weird for yez.

Old May 27th 05, 06:32 AM
Bud Webster

Default You want weird? I got weird for yez.

I got an e-mail out of the blue from someone I've never heard of
before with "R. A. Lafferty" as the subject line. I almost deleted it
unread, but I'm glad I didn't.

In part, he asked:

"I'm searching for a 'Bud Webster' who back on 8/16/81 wrote a
inscription on a FEP of a book to a individual who must have broken a
leg under questionable circumstances."

Didn't ring bell one with me. Was this something I did at a
convention? Have I ever signed a book to anyone with a broken leg?
have I ever KNOWN anyone with a broken leg? And what was the
connection to Lafferty?

Pondering this, I replied asking for more details. I heard back
tonight, and it was one of those "HUH!" moments. It seems that back
in 1981, Firesign Theater performed here in Richmond at VCU, and I was
there not only as a fan, but to cover it for the local college radio
station. I was set to do a nice, leisurely interview, but the day
before the gig, Reagan was shot, and they closeted themselves in their
hotel room rewriting their entire show to reflect the news. So the
interview took place in a hallway surrounded by fans who thought
they'd "help" me by shouting out "funny" answers to the questions I
asked before the FT could get in a word.

Finally, they had to go back for the second show, and I called out
"Break a leg!" Phil Proctor, who is a student of theater history,
explained to me that this wasn't just a way of not jinxing the actors
by wishing them luck, but a reference to the way that Elizabethan
performers bowed to Nobility/Royalty, with one leg extended backwards
and the knee slightly bent (or "broken").

In gratitude for their willingness to put up with a bunch of frat-boy
yahoos in order to give me a pretty good interview, I sent them all
books - Dave Ossman, the poet, got a collection of beat poetry; Phil
Austin, the rock fan, got a copy of _Paperback Writer_, a fantasy
novel about a Beatles reunion; Peter Bergman got a nice old hostory or
radio; and Phil Proctor got a copy of _Does Anyone Else Have Something
Further to Add?_ by Lafferty, with the following inscription from me:

"After having been a drama major for 3 years, you show me what 'break
a leg' means. What are they teaching in college these days? A book by
one of my favorite writers to one of my favotite performers. Loved the
spots for 'Comin' At Ya''- Bud Webster 8/16/81"

The book somehow made it from Proctor's library to a Goodwill store
outside Chicago where my correspondant, a fellow bookseller, bought
it; thus is provenance created.

Easily one of the weirdest, and most satisfying, experiences I've had
lately. Or at all.

Old May 28th 05, 11:48 PM
William M. Klimon

"Bud Webster" wrote in message

The book somehow made it from Proctor's library to a Goodwill store
outside Chicago where my correspondant, a fellow bookseller, bought
it; thus is provenance created.

Great story, Bud.

Reminds me of finding a signed copy of Fr. Robert Greene's *Calvary in
China* that my grandfather requested Fr. Greene send to a family friend--of
course, the friend lived in New England, my grandfather's been dead for 30
years, and I found it in a thrift store 3 miles from my house in Northern
Virginia. More details he

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...4b3ade00?hl=en

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old May 29th 05, 12:32 AM
Shelf Space

This just about takes the bloody biscuit. You object to posts which
include links to books which would almost certainly be of great
interest to book collectors, yet you inflict an incredibly dull and
long-winded story of a tenuously book-related nature on the world?

Speaking as I find (because I don't know anything about you), you
appear to be a hypocrite. Yes you are right in the tedious minutae of
the newsgroup rules, but taking a step back for a moment, that must
mean that the rules need changing.

Old May 29th 05, 04:35 AM
Bud Webster

On 28 May 2005 16:32:24 -0700, "Shelf Space"
wrote:

This just about takes the bloody biscuit. You object to posts which
include links to books which would almost certainly be of great
interest to book collectors, yet you inflict an incredibly dull and
long-winded story of a tenuously book-related nature on the world?

Speaking as I find (because I don't know anything about you), you
appear to be a hypocrite. Yes you are right in the tedious minutae of
the newsgroup rules, but taking a step back for a moment, that must
mean that the rules need changing.

**** you and the horse that rode you in. If you don't like it here,
gp the hell away. I doubt anyone will miss you - unless their aim is
bad.
Old May 29th 05, 04:38 AM
Bud Webster

On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:13:40 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

A nice story and not weird at all IMO. Just a tribute to your generosity.

Not weird? How many times does a bookseller *successfully* track down
a cryptic inscription? How many have even tried?

"Generosity..." Yeah, I guess, although considering how much Firesign
gave me over the years for the price of a few albums, it's scant
repayment.
Old May 29th 05, 12:11 PM
Shelf Space

Well, what with the foul language and the rambling, off-topic posts, it
amazes me that you have the temerity to criticise others for postings
interesting links to interesting book sales. Yes, we all despise
spammers, but a great many book collectors do want to know about the
occasional auction or publication of a book that will be of interest to
discerning book collectors.

I don't care about you or your boring little jobsworth's FAQ. I think
an unmoderated and usenet based book collecting forum should permit the
on-topic posting of links to sales that might be of interest. I
therefore urge all readers of this group to ignore you and your
downright silly rules, and to post freely as they wish.

Provided that their posts are, unlike yours, on topic and non-abusive,
I can see nothing wrong in it.

CB

(See, it is possible to express oneself without being personally
abusive. If you want to be personally absuive, email me off list, and I
will send you my home address. Then you can call round in person, and
we'll see how brave and personally abusive you dare to be
face-to-face.)

Old May 30th 05, 04:53 AM
Bud Webster

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:41:36 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

Surely more like how many "Bud Websters" are there involved in book
collecting, compiling or whatever, whom a bookseller is likely to have
heard of? Given the likelihood that he presumably must have recognised
the name, if only vaguely, in the first place. Such is the price of
fame maybe. It's not as though you're unknown to Google either.

Oh, I doubt it, Michael. I'm not at all well-known, unless you happen
to hit the same conventions I do. Remember, he found me through the
Analog website, where he found a post I'd made about collecting back
issues of Astounding/Analog, not somewhere that mentioned either my
writing or bookselling. I'd have been less croggled if he'd turned up
a post from here, really.

At least, that's the only place he cited. He may have seen someplace
else, but he didn't mention it.

"Generosity..." Yeah, I guess, although considering how much Firesign
gave me over the years for the price of a few albums, it's scant
repayment.

Even so, very few bother.

Yeah, well, I was raised better'n that.

Old May 30th 05, 06:09 AM
Allison Turner-

on 29 May 2005 04:11:38 -0700, Shelf Space stated:

Well, what with the foul language and the rambling, off-topic posts, it
amazes me that you have the temerity to criticise others for postings
interesting links to interesting book sales. Yes, we all despise
spammers, but a great many book collectors do want to know about the
occasional auction or publication of a book that will be of interest to
discerning book collectors.

CB: This newsgroup was created for conversations about
collecting books. Very specifically, the creators of
this newsgroup designated for-sale and wanted posts as
not allowed. There are other newsgroups for those posts,
and I go to them when I want that kind of information.

I don't get over here as often as I'd like to, but I
really enjoy the "rambling, off-topic posts" that you
so object to, and I don't want to have to weed my way
around advertising to find them. (And how, I ask you,
can a post about collecting books, rambling or not, be
off-topic in rec.collecting.books?)

I don't care about you or your boring little jobsworth's FAQ.

(Side-note: how does this comment support your proclaimed
ability to "express oneself without being personally abusive"?)

I think
an unmoderated and usenet based book collecting forum should permit the
on-topic posting of links to sales that might be of interest.

You can think whatever you want, of course. But just because
a group is unmoderated doesn't mean it doesn't have guidelines
for what's on topic and what's not allowed. Otherwise all
groups would be a mishmash, indistinguishable from each other.

This one does not allow for-sale and wanted posts, and is
specifically for those boring rambling posts about collecting
books, that I want to read and you don't. (Why are you here,
again?)

therefore urge all readers of this group to ignore you and your
downright silly rules, and to post freely as they wish.

Perhaps you'd care to create your own newsgroup, which
allows for-sale and wanted posts? Then those people who
want that can follow you there.

-Allison

Old May 30th 05, 06:20 PM

No one asked you to like the rules here, but they are, nonetheless, the
rules. You don't have to read the newsgroup. You don't have to post to it.
If you do wish to post, don't violate our standards by posting commercial
offerings. There is a place for those, and that place is NOT this one!

Again, no one cares if you like or agree with the no-for-sale-items rule.
Just follow it if you wish to be here.

Old May 30th 05, 08:48 PM
John Pelan

wrote:

[...]

No one cares what you like or don't like, Barker. Save your internet
tough-guy crap for somewhere that you haven't already been pegged as a
snivelling little coward. Seems to me that the last time someone
wanted to take you up on your posturing, you pulled your addy off your
website and went into hiding.

Now run along, your croaking is unwlecome here.

Cheerio,

John

Weird Possessed Jukebox? barry womb Juke Boxes 4 October 26th 04 09:54 PM
Weird Success CMel4 Autographs 4 August 27th 04 02:14 AM
off topic: Weird Al Song dahoov2 Autographs 2 August 5th 04 09:33 PM
weird email dahoov2 Autographs 2 May 27th 04 04:12 AM
Weird Lockhart Jukebox Jo van Dongen Juke Boxes 0 January 12th 04 08:03 PM