Still Hope for 5-Coin AE Set?

Old November 14th 11, 02:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

Default Still Hope for 5-Coin AE Set?

I received an email from the US Mint today regarding the status of the
25th Anniv AE 5 Coin Silver set i had ordered a couple days after the
sellout was announced. On the 9th, they sent an email saying I would be
placed on a waiting list in case of a cancellation (do fools still exist?),
and that I would only be notified again if the set was scheduled for
shipment or that my order was cancelled. Today's email contained no
message-- just a backorder number and an expected shipping date of 11/28.
Of course I am taking this as an affirmation that someone cancelled their
order and that I am taking their place. There just may be hope for us
latecomers.

Old November 14th 11, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Some Guy[_2_]

"Bremick" wrote in message ...
I received an email from the US Mint today regarding the status of the 25th
Anniv AE 5 Coin Silver set i had ordered a couple days after the sellout was
announced. On the 9th, they sent an email saying I would be placed on a
waiting list in case of a cancellation (do fools still exist?), and that I
would only be notified again if the set was scheduled for shipment or that my
order was cancelled. Today's email contained no message-- just a backorder
number and an expected shipping date of 11/28. Of course I am taking this as
an affirmation that someone cancelled their order and that I am taking their
place. There just may be hope for us latecomers.

I thought the Mint stopped taking orders the day after the set was offered?
At any rate, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your order if I was you.
Then again, you may get lucky - after all people win at the lottery every week!

Old November 14th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RAV

On 11/14/2011 8:59 AM, Bremick wrote:
I received an email from the US Mint today regarding the status of the
25th Anniv AE 5 Coin Silver set i had ordered a couple days after the
sellout was announced. On the 9th, they sent an email saying I would be
placed on a waiting list in case of a cancellation (do fools still exist?),
and that I would only be notified again if the set was scheduled for
shipment or that my order was cancelled. Today's email contained no
message-- just a backorder number and an expected shipping date of 11/28.
Of course I am taking this as an affirmation that someone cancelled their
order and that I am taking their place. There just may be hope for us
latecomers.

I also got that e-mail this morning (my order was at 5:00PM on the first
day of sale). Besides the basic info containing the order number, my
name and the expected ship date (11/28), the "text" of the message
consisted of a single hyphen (-).
Old November 14th 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Nov 14, 10:27*am, Rav wrote:

I also got that e-mail this morning (my order was at 5:00PM on the first
day of sale). *Besides the basic info containing the order number, my
name and the expected ship date (11/28), the "text" of the message
consisted of a single hyphen (-).

No luck here. Got this email this morning.

Greetings from the United States Mint.
Thank you for ordering from the United States Mint.
We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
are currently sold out. A customer service representative
will be happy to assist you in finding an alternative item.

Oh well.
Old November 14th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Rav" wrote in message ...
[...]

That was the extent of the body of my email, too-- a (-) hyphen. Now,
after seeing the different email JUD received, I'm even more hopeful,
especially noting that single sets are going on eBay for over $700. I still
haven't begun to hold my breath yet though.

Old November 14th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , "Bremick"
wrote:

I received an email from the US Mint today regarding the status of the
25th Anniv AE 5 Coin Silver set i had ordered a couple days after the
sellout was announced. On the 9th, they sent an email saying I would be
placed on a waiting list in case of a cancellation (do fools still exist?),
and that I would only be notified again if the set was scheduled for
shipment or that my order was cancelled. Today's email contained no
message-- just a backorder number and an expected shipping date of 11/28.
Of course I am taking this as an affirmation that someone cancelled their
order and that I am taking their place. There just may be hope for us
latecomers.

In some cases, the cancellations were NOT at the request of the buyer
.... the Mint set a limit of five sets per HOUSEHOLD, and in the past has
proactively searched out people trying to circumvent the limit (using
multiple names, multiple credit cards, minor variations of mailing
addresses, etc.).

When found, the extra orders are cancelled and the sets are reallocated
to people on the waiting list. Depending on how may people tried this
trick, and how many got caught, there could be a lot of happy "waiting
list" people in the next few weeks ...

[For the record, I ordered five sets and received them on Saturday. I
hope to sell a few at the Santa Clara show this weekend and recover my
cost!]

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old November 14th 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Benveniste

On 11/14/2011 8:59 AM, Bremick wrote:
Today's email contained no message-- just a backorder number and an
expected shipping date of 11/28.

I got the same message, but I'm not taking it for any sort of
affirmation.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
Old November 14th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
In article , "Bremick"
wrote:

[...]

That makes much more sense than some people cancelling their order due to
buyer's remorse or guilt feelings about buying a government product and
making a potential killing from it.

[For the record, I ordered five sets and received them on Saturday. I
hope to sell a few at the Santa Clara show this weekend and recover my
cost!]

I missed the boat with the 2006 Silver sets after ordering five of them and
then deciding to keep them all. Must have been my collector gene out of
control.

Old November 14th 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Mike Benveniste" wrote in message
On 11/14/2011 8:59 AM, Bremick wrote:
Today's email contained no message-- just a backorder number and an
expected shipping date of 11/28.

I got the same message, but I'm not taking it for any sort of
affirmation.

pessimist. No sort of affirmation at all??

Old November 15th 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Benveniste

On 11/14/2011 4:20 PM, Bremick wrote:

I got the same message, but I'm not taking it for any sort of
affirmation.

pessimist. No sort of affirmation at all??

Well, it does affirm that at least as of yesterday, they didn't
lose my order, but a slip of this length seems to imply that
they don't have sets ready to ship.

Since all of the coins were minted and packaged before they went
on sale, that means at best, I'm on a wait list for "bounced"
sets. I don't expect that to be a very large quantity.