Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

Old February 3rd 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Are 2008-2009 nickels scarce?

"Rav" wrote in message
On 2/2/2010 5:03 PM, Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message

"Bruce wrote in message

"Mr. Jaggers"lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in message

Aren't all coin shops local?

To somebody undoubtedly, but not to all of us. But then we ARE in the
electronic age................

SHUSH! We don't want to encourage anybody with ideas about replacing
currency with purely electronic forms of "money".

If nothing else, how are you going to enjoy confounding a cashier when
halves and dollar coins go the way of the two-cent piece?

Vagrant thought: If there is a transitional period where paper money
and
coins are on the way out in favor of a universal debit card, it will
give
new meaning to the question "Paper or plastic?"

- mazorj, Monetary Luddite

I noticed in the paper last week that some local parking meters have been
converted to accept credit cards. I've seen this elsewhere, too. Oddly,
in
the article, there was no mention of whether the machines already or soo
will accept dollar coins. Plastic and electronics do seem to be taking
over. How long will it be before a few holdouts wave their cash but
nobody
is willing to accept it?

We may end up skipping right over that dollar bill vs dollar coin issue,
as
encroaching plastic and electronics will essentially solve that problem.

I don't expect to see coins and paper money totally disappear in the US
in
my remaining lifetime, but it's already getting pretty close to being
unnecessary in one's daily routine. I never thought I'd be able to
experience all Las Vegas has to offer (well, almost all) without a dollar
in
my wallet.

Here in Montgomery County, MD, some of the parking meters now say you can
pay via cell phone. I don't know how that works, but it's apparently yet
another alternative.

Wow! Now that's scary! I'm just starting to ponder all the potential
ramifications of that.

-- Bruce, down in Fairfax

Old February 3rd 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Hugh G. Rection

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Another disappearing form of payment is the personal check.
I don't write more than 1 or 2 a month anymore, preferring to pay online
whenever possible.

I think it's ironic that the personal check, credit card, and cash have
coexisted as popular means of payment for decades, yet we seem to have a
serious problem today accepting both our dollar coin and dollar bill as
payment options.

All the strippers I encounter are more than happy to accept $1 bills (they
prefer $5's and $10's)

Old February 3rd 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

If you had anything at all going for you, you wouldn't have to be paying to
watch strippers and stuffing bills in their whatevers so they'll fall in
love with you. Have you tried using Zip-loc bags with five or ten dollars
worth of presidential dollars? Might be a conversation starter. ;)

Old February 3rd 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tom Wayne

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:03:20 -0500, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it would be difficult to pay a stripper in Las Vegas with a debit
or credit card. I suppose one could pay with a gift card, but that
might chafe a bit and cause the quality of the performance to
deteriorate.
Old February 3rd 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Hugh G. Rection

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
If you had anything at all going for you, you wouldn't have to be paying to
watch strippers and stuffing bills in their whatevers so they'll fall in love
with you.

If you had anything at all going for you, you wouldn't be making specious
supercilious moral judgments about strangers on the Usenet...
Besides, I just like watching naked ladies dance...

Old February 3rd 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Hugh G. Rection" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
If you had anything at all going for you, you wouldn't have to be paying
to watch strippers and stuffing bills in their whatevers so they'll fall
in love with you.

If you had anything at all going for you, you wouldn't be making specious
supercilious moral judgments about strangers on the Usenet...
Besides, I just like watching naked ladies dance...

Anyone who doesn't want folks making specious supercilious moral judgements
about them shouldn't choose a Usenet name like yours. And don't forget to
try those Zip-loc bags of dollars. Let 'em see your Johnson in 2011. ;)

Old February 3rd 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RAV

wrote in message

"Bruce wrote in message

[...]

I just did a quick Google search and found the following information
about the program at Montgomery Countys web site:

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dp...s-release1.asp

Old February 3rd 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RAV

wrote in message

"Bruce wrote in message

[...]

[Sorry if this message appears twice, my connection crapped out in the
middle of sending the first time]

Old February 3rd 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

wrote in message

"Bruce wrote in message

[...]

That can be done in the UK also. Billy

Old February 3rd 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall[_3_]

wrote in message

"Bruce wrote in message

[...]

I saw this on TV the other night and it said you have to establish an
account with the County. Then when you want to park at a meter, you dial a
special number and enter the parking meter number and the time you want to
use. And the cost gets charged to your phone bill.

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

Where are 2009 nickels and dimes Jim Dunigan Coins 2 October 4th 09 12:07 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (11/21/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 November 21st 08 09:18 AM
2008/2009 TV Show Status (9/26/08) Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 0 September 27th 08 12:28 AM
Two scarce nickels Alan Williams Coins 1 September 28th 04 12:48 PM
FA: Some very scarce thaler fractions and some really cruddy buffalo nickels Josh Moran Coins 0 February 13th 04 06:06 PM