Ebay note grading

Old April 25th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

Default Ebay note grading

On 25 Apr, 14:42, wrote:
Anyway, could I get some confirmation. Is this VG or F?

If I were to grade this, it would be a VG, and I'd never pay $15
shipping for this note.

I was charged $7, I was reckoning the same to send it back....

The item was well packaged to be fair, which is more than can be said
for the note I just received.

$6.95 postage, and what did I get? Just a note in a standard letter-
sized envelope.

Unsurprisingly after a transatlantic voyage, USA to England, the
corner of the envelope was bent over and so was the note. You have got
to question the logic of people that send stuff out like this.

I wouldn't mind, but this guy sells nothing but banknotes:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZforestbar

and has 1950 feedback.

Old April 25th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

I'm not sure I like that system. If a note has extensive surface
damage it appears to still be possible to rate VF+

Theoretically that would be possible but in practice very hard to
achieve. The note would have to be uncirculated in every other aspect
and have extensive surface damage. This would be a freak of nature. It
would be very hard for a note to get extensive surface damage yet not
folds (or wrinkles as they are small folds) and no dirt. It would be
more likely that a seller would classify the note as "apparent au with
extensive surface damage". The same would apply to an otherwise high
grade note with a tear extending into the design. I would rather own a
torn crisp note than a dirty limp note.

The only note that I have ever seen in this sort of condition was a
note that had extensive bubbling on the surface. It is likely that
this was caused by a fault in the paper making process.

Using the numeric grading process would also allow the vendor to show
how the grade was determined by showing the actual calculation for the
grade. This would give the buyer extra information.

But the rating of anything but mint and near mint notes I guess is
always going to be problematic, because the real world notes will be
damaged in ways that don't necessarily correspond perfectly to a
system. For instance you can have a very nice looking note that has an
apparently low grade, and vice versa.

Actually here is one I received today:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4...03/backuv6.jpg

I am really not happy with it.

The seller sold it as VF. The picture was far too small to judge.

There is NO WAY that the note is VF.

My "Standard Catalog of World Paper Money" shows "Very Fine: Minimal
dirt or possible color smudging. "

That note is filthy. It really is not a nice-looking collectible.

On the reverse, top right there is some paper that at one point has
got stuck to the surface of the note and has been torn away leaving
some residue behind. The edges are showing nicks. There is some
central crease wear.

The note is not just folded, but very wrinkled.

A few small pen marks are visible on the obverse.

The only question for me is if it is F, or merely VG.

Pick gives this note a value of $40 in VF but only $15 in VG.

The item sold for $27.

The seller of course says in the auction that grading is a matter of
his personal opinion, and that returns are at my cost both ways.

But I don't see why I should end up $15 out of pocket for postage as a
result of the seller misrepresenting the condition of the item.

Anyway, could I get some confirmation. Is this VG or F?

Old April 25th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

On Apr 26, 5:19 am, Matthew Brealey wrote:
On 25 Apr, 14:42, wrote:

Anyway, could I get some confirmation. Is this VG or F?

If I were to grade this, it would be a VG, and I'd never pay $15
shipping for this note.

I was charged $7, I was reckoning the same to send it back....

The item was well packaged to be fair, which is more than can be said
for the note I just received.

$6.95 postage, and what did I get? Just a note in a standard letter-
sized envelope.

Unsurprisingly after a transatlantic voyage, USA to England, the
corner of the envelope was bent over and so was the note. You have got
to question the logic of people that send stuff out like this.

I wouldn't mind, but this guy sells nothing but banknotes:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZforestbar

and has 1950 feedback.

I would rate the note at VG+ (45 points)

Market grading vs. Technical Grading.....the answer to my coin grading question Ira Stein Coins 10 July 26th 05 08:38 PM
Grading on eBay Gene Paper Money 5 January 11th 05 09:49 PM
Ebay Grading KLH Coins 3 August 25th 04 12:42 AM
A grading challenge on eBay Bob Peterson Coins 4 February 9th 04 05:11 PM
Grading on eBay.. JEEEEZZZ! Gene Mack Paper Money 8 July 21st 03 09:19 PM