Another bookfair bites the dust?

Old March 30th 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Another bookfair bites the dust?

Yesterday, I slogged out (in the endless rain) to the Long Island Antiquarian Book and Paper Fair, now held at Hofstra University. This is not easy to reach if one does not have a car: I took the subway from my home to the Long Island Rail Road, then took a bus from Hempstead to the college. (I walked that last wet leg going home--though it took me 25-30 minutes, I was afraid if I waited for the bus, I would miss the once-an-hour train!)

When I got to the show, there were a whopping 13 vendors on hand; there were 22 in the fall, and 33 back in Spring 2012. There was almost no general fiction available, which I'd think would be the easiest stuff to sell. Although I did buy a few things, they were serendipitous (not from my want list), and the trip was hardly worth my expense and trouble.

Worst, neither the LIABDA website nor that of the producer lists dates for a fall show. I assume the dealers will not make a final decision until their next meeting, but since most of the members in the LIABDA directory stayed away, I can't imagine them voting to continue. Very sad.
Old March 30th 14, 10:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Hardyboys

Worst, neither the LIABDA website nor that of the producer lists dates for a
fall show. I assume the dealers will not make a final decision until their
next meeting, but since most of the members in the LIABDA directory stayed
away, I can't imagine them voting to continue. Very sad.

The LIABDA Book Fair has been steadily going downhill, especially since the move
from Garden City to Hofstra.
I last went to one 2 or 3 years ago and vowed to never again attend.
The books are generally overpriced by dealers who don't seem to realize that the
market paradigm has changed dramatically, with the internet killing your average
used book shop and used book dealer.
I don't need to patronize dealers any more thanks to used book sales on
Amazon.com, BN.com and eBay.
I miss going to a used book store - I loved the smell of the place and the
occasional find but that's progress, I suppose.

Old April 5th 14, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Fie on progress!

I very much regret the demise of the "real" bookstore, as a collector for whom condition matters--not to mention the pleasure of browsing. I recently sent the same book back to Amazon twice, being unwilling to accept a new paperback at a cost of $15 with the bottom of the spine bashed in. (They shipped it to me in a padded envelope, and you know what the Post Awful is...) I ordered a mystery novel from England from the Book Depository, and then from Amazon, both times getting a second printing, which would not happen to me in a brick-and-mortar bookstore.

Old April 6th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin

I recently sent the same book back to Amazon twice, being unwilling
to accept a new paperback at a cost of $15 with the bottom of the
spine bashed in. (They shipped it to me in a padded envelope, and
you know what the Post Awful is...) I ordered a mystery novel from
England from the Book Depository, and then from Amazon, both times
getting a second printing, which would not happen to me in a brick-
and-mortar bookstore.

Then why did you patronize Amazon in the first place?

I've managed to never buy anything from those union-busting
exploitative ****s. It's not exactly difficult.

Old April 7th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Hardyboys

"Jack Campin" wrote in message

Then why did you patronize Amazon in the first place?

I like shopping on Amazon, particularly from their 3rd party vendors.

I've managed to never buy anything from those union-busting exploitative
****s. It's not exactly difficult.

Well good for you!