Buffalo Nickels

Old May 9th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Buffalo Nickels

wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message
om...
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

[snipped to cut down on scrolling]

well, i think anyone that believes that's a fine is
ignorant. i can't imagine what the ag's look like.
bat barf, prolly.

They're not pretty, but they are 93 strawberries.

I suspect the slabber put that grade on there to guard against the owner
trying to crack it out and get it into a competitor's holder, knowing
full
well that they had exceeded everybody else's limit.

James
'hey, look what we just slabbed, nya, nya, nya'

ngc does not amuse me. a ploy to keep it out of a pcgs
slab and who cares about anacs?

I kind of like ANACS because nobody sends them coins a second time, hoping
to get an upgrade.

James

ok, but who sends them coins the first time?
i hear they're good for cleaned and errors.
anything else?

1. They'll give you a free opinion at a show.

2. Their grading seems just as accurate as any other company, at least for
the circulated (usually WELL-circulated) coins that I buy. I can't speak
for their prowess at grading Uncs.

3. It seems that they get more "collector" coins than the other outfits,
maybe because they charge less and put on fewer airs.

4. They will slab a coin that has problems (VF30 details, for example).
They used to identify the problem and net-grade the coin, but they don't do
that anymore.

5. I really dislike the look of their new holders.

James

Old May 9th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message
.com...
[...]

sounded good until you hit numbah 5.
well, numbah 4 kinda sucks, too.
but......the only slabbed coins i own i got on swaps. i'm an
anchronism, i buy unslabbed coins exclusively because if i
can't eyeball the summabitch, i don't need it. plastic lies.
2x2's are marginally acceptable.

Nothing wrong with that approach, e. I own a number of slabs, but have this
perverse desire to crack 'em all out (but not to re-submit them,
understand). There's something about tumbling the coin in one's hand, and
being able to examine the edge as well, particularly important for the bust
halves. I agree, plastic often lies, and sometimes it just embarrasses.

James

Old May 9th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

.. .

wrote in message
[...]

I chose ANACS-slabbed gold coins for my Unc 20th century type set.
Authentication without the PCGS/NGC premium. I dislike their new holders,
too, and I'm still searching for the last two gold types I need ($2½ Liberty
and $5 Indian) and in the old ANACS holders.

Bruce

Old May 9th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
om...
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message
ws.com...
[...]

and when i want to buy laege cents, i want to feel the
surface to check for paint, shoe polish, thumbing and other
cute trick the slickee boys play. i love good, honest large
cents with normal wear and no dr.

Will you sometimes even settle for a decent AG3 large cent?

James

Old May 9th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

news

wrote in message
.com...
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

sure, especially on the big buck coins.
if it's an honest wear only ag, it will look good to me.

Well then, you're my kind of copper collector, e!

James

Old May 9th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
ws.com...
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message
synews.com...
[...]

a grumpy old fart with a bad back and an attitude?

We're the backbone of numismatics!

James

Old May 10th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

My hats off to you gentlemen! A well worn coin is a piece of history
in metal. Unless you're financially able, or willing to part with the
next month's rent money, well worn is the way to go on high-priced
keys. I have a 1932 D Washington quarter that is so AAAAAG and
stained that pore ol' George looks uncannily like Beetlejuce. But it
fills that hole ...

Kathy

Old May 20th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
steve

I would ask you what you mean by a desirable set? do you like it? do you
care what another collector thinks? did you buy it for investment or your
own enjoyment? there are a number of things to consider when buying
buffalos, I'm sure everyone has heard the term "weak strike" this is oh so
true with the buffs....... the dies were swapped around so much you can have
a coin with an exf obverse and a vg reverse, because the dies were over used
and the money just wasn't there to make new ones each year. some dies were
"soft" and wore out quickly and not replaced while others were damaged and
tooled to keep them in use. all these factors go into the price of a coin
when buying . you can have a coin that is ms64 that is sharp and another one
that is mushy or weak but both graded ms 64 the difference being the sale
price. i have been collecting buffs for about 40 years now and i keep
trying to upgrade my set all the time as i can afford it. most all of mine
are now in ex fine to ms 66 with only 3 in veryfine including the overdate.
to me it is enjoyment and also investment. i have no retirement so when i am
old and starving they will go up for auction. (one at a time) I accumulated
them one at a time picking each one out for its quality and price. you
bought yours in a one shot deal. i am very proud of my set although i did
make a few mistakes along the way. at a very early stage in the collecting
i was told to get the keys first as they will go up in price much faster.
at first i was getting the easy common ones first. big mistake. they don't
go anywhere in price so i made the change and got the keys, I'm glad i did.
i have all of them in exf now. What i am seeing is the few common coins in
the thirties have gone from being a $3 nickel to a $40 nickel in ms
condition. If you are happy with your set than let it go at that, if i
were to start over again, i would buy a set i can afford and upgrade each
one as i could. i hope this answers your question.

btw,
when grading buffs i go by the old school method of veryfine is a FULL horn,
extra fine is a full rounded horn. 99.999% of the coins you see graded today
on ebay are over graded by 2 to 3 grades!! it is obscene. and some of them
are slabbed that way by the get rich quick new grading companies out there
which are set up in someone's basement. Because of the fact that some of the
buffs are "weak strike" you will have a very hard time finding full horns
(including the tip) on some like the 25 D and the 26 D, if you find a full
horn on them, it will be very expensive.

sr

wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought a set of 65 circulated Buffalo Nickels, all have dates which
all four digits are readable, no acid coins. No rare oddities, but a
rather nice set. At first I was dissapointed, but after looking
around I guess a nicer set would be very, very expensive, especially
for the more rare ones in XF or better. My coins range from mostly
VG8-10 to a handfull of F12-XF45. At least a portion of horn can be
seen on all. I guess I'm wondering if this is a desirable set for
Buffalo collectors, or are my expectations too high?

Jim

9 Buffalo Nickels Jack Coins 0 January 15th 06 11:04 AM
New Buffalo Nickels Dale Hallmark Coins 1 May 7th 05 06:05 AM
FA: 680 Buffalo nickels Ireichel1 Coins 0 April 30th 04 01:22 AM
FA:50 Buffalo nickels Jesse Coins 4 December 1st 03 04:53 AM