What is this postal stationery ?

Old November 30th 03, 10:58 PM
Didier Maistre

Default What is this postal stationery ?

Hello,

Who could help me identify this :
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier1.jpg
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier2.jpg
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier3.jpg

Which country ?
Ref ? or date of issue ?
Estimated value ?

Thanks In Advance,

--
Didier Maistre

French collector of chinese stamps

Old December 1st 03, 12:07 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:58:34 +0100, "Didier Maistre"
wrote:

Hello,

Who could help me identify this :
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier1.jpg
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier2.jpg
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier3.jpg

Which country ?
Ref ? or date of issue ?
Estimated value ?

Thanks In Advance,

It's definitely Ceylon. The Higgins & Gage catalog on letter "C" only
goes to 1974. It looks "close" to an airmail envelope, but I couldn't
find it in there. Maybe there's an Addendum that I overlooked,
upstairs. Will check later.

Value? Not much... no world cruise, for sure.

Tracy Barber
Old December 1st 03, 04:26 AM
Pierre COURTIADE

Tracy Barber wrote :

It's definitely Ceylon. The Higgins & Gage catalog on letter "C" only
goes to 1974. It looks "close" to an airmail envelope, but I couldn't
find it in there. Maybe there's an Addendum that I overlooked,
upstairs. Will check later.

Value? Not much... no world cruise, for sure.

Tracy Barber

Hi Tracy and Didier,

I found stamps from Sri-Lanka with the same design in the centre,
catalogued by Yvert as "Fiscaux-Postaux" (stamps for common usage as
normal and revenue stamps).
Issued in 1984.
These stamps are catalogued by Scott in the normal section (Sc #
726-727)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace my 1st name by my last one

Old December 1st 03, 06:55 AM
TC

wrote:

Hello,

Who could help me identify this :
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier1.jpg
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier2.jpg
http://didier.maistre.free.fr/frp/entier3.jpg

Which country ?
Ref ? or date of issue ?
Estimated value ?

Thanks In Advance,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Salut Didier:

Here is my (less than well educated) guess,
now confirmed.

(1) Where is it from?

Sri Lanka (Ceylon)
see top 2 lines of characters in "entier2"
versus the 2 lines at top of stamp at:
http://tinyurl.com/x5vj

The lion is the lion of Sri Lanka/Ceylon.
It can be seen on their flag:
http://www.buddel.de/bs/fl_srila.jpg

(2) What is its ID number or date?

Number:
Not listed in Scott as it is postal stationery.

[Note: The item does NOT meet UPU requirements for
international mail, (ie Country name
is NOT also in ROMAN characters, as required)
so it must be a DOMESTIC only rate item.]

Date: It could be period late 1983 to end of 1985.

Date Rationale:
As far as I can see, the major domestic
postal rate for that period was 60c.
[see Scott 698A, 704, 709, 712-719, 722,
733, 735, 743, 745-747, 750, 753-759,
762, 771-772, and 774.]

It looks like the rate rose to 75 cents
in early 1986 (see Scott 778, etc.)

(3) Value? I have no idea.

Note: Postal forgeries of Sri Lanka postal
stationery exist.

I hope that this has been helpful.

a bientot

Blair

Old December 1st 03, 07:32 AM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 04:26:05 +0100, "Pierre COURTIADE"
wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote :

It's definitely Ceylon. The Higgins & Gage catalog on letter "C" only
goes to 1974. It looks "close" to an airmail envelope, but I couldn't
find it in there. Maybe there's an Addendum that I overlooked,
upstairs. Will check later.

Value? Not much... no world cruise, for sure.

Tracy Barber

Hi Tracy and Didier,

I found stamps from Sri-Lanka with the same design in the centre,
catalogued by Yvert as "Fiscaux-Postaux" (stamps for common usage as
normal and revenue stamps).
Issued in 1984.
These stamps are catalogued by Scott in the normal section (Sc #
726-727)

As a follow up, my reprinted Higgins & Gage stationary catalog doesn't
cover them. Looked up Sri Lanka, not even represented. Then again,
that section was done up in the early 70s.

Tracy Barber
Old December 1st 03, 06:59 PM
Eric Bustad

wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote :

It's definitely Ceylon. The Higgins & Gage catalog on letter "C" only
goes to 1974. It looks "close" to an airmail envelope, but I couldn't
find it in there. Maybe there's an Addendum that I overlooked,
upstairs. Will check later.

Value? Not much... no world cruise, for sure.

Tracy Barber

Hi Tracy and Didier,

I found stamps from Sri-Lanka with the same design in the centre,
catalogued by Yvert as "Fiscaux-Postaux" (stamps for common usage as
normal and revenue stamps).
Issued in 1984.
These stamps are catalogued by Scott in the normal section (Sc #
726-727)

As a follow up, my reprinted Higgins & Gage stationary catalog doesn't
cover them. Looked up Sri Lanka, not even represented. Then again,
that section was done up in the early 70s.

*Is* there a catalog that would list modern postal stationary of 3rd
world countries? I checked the Michel site, but they only cover Europe.

= Eric

Old December 1st 03, 07:32 PM
Tracy Barber

wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote :

[...]

The people who took over Higgins & Gage's catalog had mentioned they
were "working on it". What that means, one doesn't know. I think
they even posted here a short while back about it, but don't remember
when...

Tracy Barber
Old December 2nd 03, 09:33 AM
TC

wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote :

[...]

Didier , Pierre and Tracy:

Further to the above, I would like to point
out that Scott #726-727 have been DELETED
from the Scott 2004 catalogue.

At the end of the regular stamps listing is
a section on POSTAL-FISCAL stamps is added.

Only 2 (1984) stamps are illustrated - 50R
and 100R. The numbers are AR6 and AR7.

However, the following note appears.

"The editors believe that seven additional
revenue stamps were authorized for postal use
during 1979-98 and would like to examine them."

Blair

Old December 2nd 03, 04:24 PM
Tracy Barber

wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote :

[...]

The only problem with the "revenue" slant is that not many revenues
have been stationery. Maybe over there, but not so more elsewhere.

Tracy Barber
Old December 3rd 03, 12:46 AM
TC

wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote :

[...]

It's not a revenue. It's a 60 cent DOMESTIC rate
postal stationery. The design is similar to the
postal-fiscals of the same period.

Blair