1939 Rockola ST-39 Luxury Light up wiring/Tranformer

Old June 23rd 15, 03:42 AM
bruceR bruceR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Alberta Canada
Default 1939 Rockola ST-39 Luxury Light up wiring/Transformer

I am restoring a 1939 Rockola Std Luxury Light Up jukebox, the one with all the Catalin and 16 light bulbs, and have a problem withoverheating of the small transformer (Rockola PH-568)(about 2 1/2" cube) that is attached to the underside of the Mechanism.I do not have a wiring diagram for the jukebox...I believe it supplies voltage to the play accumulator ratchet(PH-1082) solenoid(PH-3147) and starts the mechanism..the whole mechanism was working fine until the overheating problem and now will work without the transformer but will not shut down unless I intervene and the solenoid(PH-3147) will not pull in.I bench tested the transformer and with 117vac on the primary(I hope), output on the secondary(heavier wires) is approx 20vac.Of course it plays all 20 records by default unless I select a play in the interim but will not shut down or accumulate plays on the ratchet...Any info on the transformer, voltages, the problem or a wiring diagram or even a replacement transformer would be greatly appreciated...there is plenty of room in there to put in any replacement if need be but I am unsure about the voltages or volt/amp rating of the transformer or even if it is just the symptom not the problem....It does not seem to overheat when not under load although now if rehooked up the solenoid now will not draw in..The transformer or voltages are not mentioned in the service manual....grrrr...Anyway thanks for your consideration...Bruce.

Last edited by bruceR : June 27th 15 at 03:42 PM.
Old June 24th 15, 02:37 PM
bruceR bruceR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Alberta Canada

ps....Since my first post I have gotten the Mechanism to shut down by manually repositioning the ratchet wheel so it will operate normally..I can add plays by manually moving the ratchet cog/dog and the Rockola plays and shuts down normally...It still will not engage the ratchet by electrical means and unfortunately I still need to know the voltages of the transformer or wiring information to get the Solenoid working...DCR resistance ohms on the solenoid is around 7 ohms I believe and I don't know if that is normal or not..I do have a spare Solenoid and it seems to have the same dcr resistance and continuity..Hope all of this doesn't add to the convoluted post...Bruce
Old June 27th 15, 03:40 PM
bruceR bruceR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Alberta Canada

[Just an update since my last post...I removed the solenoid and tested it to find an internal short (probably around the first couple of turns of wire..) Luckily I had another old solenoid which I bench tested with the metal slug attached to the ratchet and it worked fine so I installed it..Be VERY carful with the plastic /bakelite ends of the solenoid as they will crack or break off..I had to use epoxy putty(JB Weld) to reinforce the solenoid end covers to prevent breakage and a possible short to the ratchet dog or metal slug..Mechanism will work if external power (around 20vac) is supplied to the solenoid terminals but I still can't find out where in the wiring the secondary voltage that is supposed to come from the little Transformer goes or where the 117vac primary voltage to the transformer has gone..or into which switch they diasappear...So, anyone having a wiring diagram for the ST-39 Std Luxury Light up or some hints on tracing would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..Bruce
Old June 27th 15, 09:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Default 1939 Rockola ST-39 Luxury Light up wiring/Tranformer

On 06/27/2015 7:40 AM, bruceR wrote:
[...]

Hi Bruce,

Have you checked out http://www.Victoryglass.com for a good quality copy
of the original manual? That should show how everything is put together,
and include the wiring diagrams...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old June 28th 15, 02:55 PM
bruceR bruceR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Alberta Canada

Hi John..Thanks for the info..The picture of their Service Manual is the same as the one I have but I will check and see if theirs contains a wiring diagram...Mine does not but I do have a copy of the amp schematic which was helpful....Thanks for the info...By the way, the latest saga is I was able to trace the secondary output of the step down transformer to one side of the Play accumulator micro switches( One momentary on for 5 cents, two for a dime and 5 for 25 cents) and the other side to the accumulator solenoid(which operates the count ratchet and starts the mechanism and motor)...Bottom line is the solenoid is across the 20vac secondary of the transformer broken by the micro swich(IF there is power to the transformer primary)..Put in a nickel, the switch momentaily closes the circuit through the solenoid, solenoid slug pulls in the ratchet dog causing the ratchet wheel to move one notch, and the motor and mechanism start..Simple eh...not.....The bad news is I still havent found where the primary 117vac voltage has disappeared and I temporarily rewired the primary through one of the on/ off light switches for 117vac( to make sure the voltage to the primary was only on when the jukebox was turned on)..Works beautifully..So far...all done without a wiring diagram and lots of pain and suffering...Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll keep looking and tracing...Bruce
Old June 29th 15, 10:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 06/28/2015 6:55 AM, bruceR wrote:
[...]

This PDF may help. It is of the 1940 machines, but the 39 should be
similar...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Old July 1st 15, 10:25 PM
bruceR bruceR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Alberta Canada

Hi John..Thanks for the info but the PDF or PDF link has vanished into the ether....If you can resend it would be greatly appreciated or send me in the right direction...by the way, the Luxury Light up is working awesome as rewired above and I have attached a 1940 Rockola Deluxe speaker (8 ohms)and Rockola Cabinet to the 8 ohm permanent magnet output side of the Amp in addition to the lower 12 inch Electro-dymamic speaker.It is the one that tilts backward on top of the Jukebox and has yet again another light bulb inside(mine doesn't(yet)) .Now my neighbours aren't talking to me after the performance tests(and they're a quarter of a mile away) HAHA....Also replacing the upper music script lights with programable fading bulbsTried replacing the lower bulbs but the Catalin is too thick and only a minor effect can be seen or the wrong effect..ie when the bulb turns blue the red catalin turns purple)The whole thing is absolutely awesome..Mind you I havent gotten my first electric/hydro bill yet.(16 original incandescent bulbs).Thanks again...bruce R
Old July 2nd 15, 08:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 07/01/2015 2:25 PM, bruceR wrote:
[...]

Bruce,

Send me an email directly and I'll pop the schematic back to you. The
return email address is valid.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com