Help with dead Seaburg 222 Satelite speaker.

Old October 19th 10, 02:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dave27

Default Help with dead Seaburg 222 Satelite speaker.

Hi I have a pair of 8" satelite Speakers and I hooked them up and 1 is
dead I have them set on the 16 setting I tried swaping speakers from
left to right and the same one works on the other line. I read one is
a -1 and one is supposed to be a -2 but it appears I have 2 -1's I
think, does that make any difference,if not is there any repair hints
or things to look for inside that could be making it not work.I have
one wire going to A and one to B on the speaker. I peeked inside the
dead one and it looks brand new inside.Thankyou in advance....Dave
Old October 19th 10, 03:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

On Oct 19, 8:22*am, Dave27 wrote:
Hi I have a pair of 8" satelite Speakers and I hooked them up and 1 is
dead I have them set on the 16 setting I tried swaping speakers from
left to right and the same one works on the other line. I read one is
a -1 and one is supposed to be a -2 but it appears I have 2 -1's I
think, does that make any difference,if not is there any repair hints
or things to look for inside that could be making it not work.I have
one wire going to A and one to B on the speaker. I peeked inside the
dead one and it looks brand new inside.Thankyou in advance....Dave

What tools do you have? A multimeter of some sort?

You could try connecting an outside source (receiver, amp etc)
directly to the voice coil wires right on the actual speaker itself.
if you hear normal sound: it's the transformer or wiring. If no sound
from a direct connection: it is the speaker's voice coil.
If so take the speaker out and examine the flexible wires that go from
the two solder connections on it's frame to the cone itself. these
sometimes fray and break.

You can also do a quick test using a 1-1/2 volt battery on the voice
coil and listening for clicks as you touch the battery to the
terminals.

If the transformer is bad you can replace it with any decent 70Volt to
voice coil transformer, Rat Shack used to have a very good one but I
don't see it there anymore. the common ones will only go to 10watts,
but that is more than enough for what you are doing.

Also, open them both speakers and just trace the wires. If you have a
multimeter-meter, test for continuity across both the input and the
side that goes to the speaker. you will need to disconnect one wire
from the speaker itself for that test.

The "1" and "2" mean nothing. They are just decoration to tie-in the
speaker with the jukebox.

Rob
Old October 19th 10, 04:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dave27

On Oct 19, 7:50*am, Rob in NYC wrote:
On Oct 19, 8:22*am, Dave27 wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rob I'll try what you sujest.I have a Fluke Multi Meter and a
soldiering gun as well as some other things. I dont know much about
electronics but I can soldier and check for continuity and
voltages.Thankyou for your help Dave...Oh if I used my 100watts per
channel home stereo as an outside source it would probly blow the
speaker wouldnt it. I'll just try the battery thing and listen for
clicking Thanks again....Dave