Dealer makes foolish statement in BNR

Old July 10th 03, 07:17 PM
Coin Saver

Default Dealer makes foolish statement in BNR

From: jstonefeel

He's a PM dealer/author, not the Pope. He's entitled to a loose lip opinion

like anyone else. Even you Tim and comments like this one of yours.
Freudian transferrence of blame. He made the statements, not I.

Go start a newspaper tomorrow filled with nothing but edited responsible

comments. Even a cartoon of a newspaper like US Today, couldn't get beyond a
page 1 like that.....!
Again, you say it's therefore OK for misinformation to be published without
peer review (which is the only thing I'm guilty of)

Re-read my statement slowly......No one is buying volumes of notes on the

internet one note at a time.
I did. it's contradictive. You either buy one at a time, or you buy in volume.

Then I go on to say.....at least not on line.

Which, as I pointed out, is incorrect.

That, as always, has been more the pity. The "same old game" included a lot

of deception and underhanded negotiations
Even if this statement wasn't non-sequiter to the discussion at hand, what

makes you think that the internet has miraculously removed dickheads from this
"""or any other""" aspect of the real world as we know it today?
They may be *here* but the opportunity for *second opinions* are here too - not
so in private shops, where the underhanded dealers played their *game*.
The Internet has, as I stated, provided a forum of discussion and peer review,
such as this NG and as this particular discussion.
I went into one shop some time ago, during a trip, and saw a very common Series
1999 $1 being sold by him for $200 - when I asked about it, he pointed out the
serial number - that it started with 2000, making it a "Millennium Note" worth
twice his price.
I continued the conversation as if I were completely unaware as to Note
collecting, to see what he'd say. His schpiel was pretty good, and included the
warning to not let others know, and to tuck it away for at least 5 years, etc.
I wonder how many such Notes he's sold for that price. The difference was that
there was no place for a review, unlike here.

One of the benefits of the internet, to include this newsgroup, is that we

have a forum where one person's opinion can be held open for debate by the
person's peers.
And "before" this miracle called the internet, we had.....conversation?

We had private and semi-private encounters between Dealers and the public. At a
show, I overheard someone (a woman had the coin, a man was with her) being
verbally talked out of a 1oz Gold Coin for about 1/3 spot by a fast talking
*slick sam*. During that conversation, the guy with her looked at me with a
confused expression. I got out my Red Book, found the coin in the listings,
circled it, and showed it to him. Needless to say, two things transpired: the
couple kept their coin, and the Dealer had Security eject me from the show.

You pick the damndest threads to get half-assed ornery with, you know that?

Yup. It's called Peer Review. My point, exactly.

One final note: when I read posts and the like, I always try to feel it, trying
to see how it comes across to newbies. If it misleads, I try to adjust. This is
called service. No, I am not perfect. There have been a few times when
something I've stated resulted in reply posts from several others. But I
welcome those. It keeps the scrutiny up, and the sellers honest, and continues
to educate us. When someone thinks they're so knowledgable that they cannot
learn anything new about numismatics, then that person is outdated.

8-/

Coin Saver
Old July 11th 03, 07:12 PM
Coin Saver

total denial.
Coin Saver
Old July 11th 03, 07:14 PM
Coin Saver

hear that sound? time to wake up.

I can think of only one reason why someone would thusly justify the shady
deallings of others.

But, I could be wrong, and am still willing to hear whatever justification you
may offer.

8-/
Coin Saver
Old July 12th 03, 07:25 PM
Coin Saver

From: Jim
Coin Saver adds... Because it is just you & I makes it moot

[rambing feeble attempt at justification of spreading disinformaton for the

sake of grasping onto archaic obsolete standards snipped]

just can't let it go, can ya? making incorrect statements out of desire to
continue to sustain 'how it used to be' does not make it so, and further
retards the efforts of progress.

'how it used to be' was profitable for those who, by passe standards, were 'in
the know', which has progressed to becoming identified as 'unscrupulous', and
replaced by a more honest and open standard of values.

I don't know if you cannot or will not understand that, but it really does not
matter which is the case. I do not lose sleep over my purchases, sales and
trades. For those who hang onto the "old" ways and also are not bothered by
such, I pity them, for their material profits results in a moral and spiritual
deficit.

8-/
Coin Saver
Old July 13th 03, 11:40 PM
Coin Saver

From: jstonefeel
coinsaver wrote:
For those who hang onto the "old" ways and also are not bothered by such, I

pity them, for their material profits results in a moral and spiritual
deficit.

You are in the ozone by your lonesome on this one

I think not.
8-/

Coin Saver
Old July 14th 03, 11:53 PM
Coin Saver

From: mike1949marotta
The point is that the online world has changed the fabric of the numismatic

marketplace.

Exactly so.
Thank you.

8-/