A medium level brag

Old October 21st 03, 05:09 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Default A medium level brag

Saturday at a tag sale I picked up for $0.50 the first edition (which
was a large trade paperback) of The Dune Encyclopedia (1984). I was
flabbergasted when I checked the market on addall.com. I had no idea it
was so scarce.

I started reading the "article" on the Butlerian Jihad and recognized
the pseudo-pedantic style of the quotes used at the start of chapters in
the Dune series. Although it never says so in the book itself, I infer
that Frank Herbert was in fact the author of these snippets, even if
someone else compiled them. Does anyone have information about the
writing of the Encyclopedia?

Francis A. Miniter

Old October 22nd 03, 05:01 PM
William M. Klimon

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message ...

Saturday at a tag sale I picked up for $0.50 the first edition (which
was a large trade paperback) of The Dune Encyclopedia (1984). I was
flabbergasted when I checked the market on addall.com. I had no idea it
was so scarce.

I would think, too, that the new books by Herbert fils and the recent
SCI-FI movies have helped interest in the book.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com
Old October 22nd 03, 05:45 PM
Doug McClure

This is an example of a book where the Book Club edition is often more
valuable than the true first edition. I assume that enthusiasts would
rather have the more rugged HB version.

DKM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:09:05 -0400, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Saturday at a tag sale I picked up for $0.50 the first edition (which
was a large trade paperback) of The Dune Encyclopedia (1984). I was
flabbergasted when I checked the market on addall.com. I had no idea it
was so scarce.

I started reading the "article" on the Butlerian Jihad and recognized
the pseudo-pedantic style of the quotes used at the start of chapters in
the Dune series. Although it never says so in the book itself, I infer
that Frank Herbert was in fact the author of these snippets, even if
someone else compiled them. Does anyone have information about the
writing of the Encyclopedia?

Francis A. Miniter

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE KAY EMM AT CEE TEE ESS D0T CEE OH EMM
Old October 22nd 03, 08:42 PM
Eric Bustad

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
Saturday at a tag sale I picked up for $0.50 the first edition (which
was a large trade paperback) of The Dune Encyclopedia (1984). I was
flabbergasted when I checked the market on addall.com. I had no idea it
was so scarce.

Probably because so many people were sick and tired of the way Herbert
was dragging out the whole Dune series. I read and enjoyed "Dune" and
also read some of the later books, but I gave up on it long before "The
Dune Encyclopedia" came out.

= Eric