Illegal Stamps in Exhibits at the New York 2016 World Stamp Show

Old July 23rd 16, 09:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Illegal Stamps in Exhibits at the New York 2016 World Stamp Show

The huge World Stamp Show (WSS) opened its doors in New York City on May 28,
2016 and closed them on June 4, 2016. Held under the direct patronage of the
International Federation of Philately ( FIP), it included the display of
4,146 frames of the best competitive stamp exhibits from around the world.
Tens of thousands of visitors were able to admire the multiple facets of the
wonderful world of stamp collecting and spread worldwide their impressions
related to this exceptional celebration of stamp collecting.

As is the case with any public and international event, it is necessary to
take stock of both the positive and eventually any negative aspects in order
to ensure that the next such event could be even more successful. Although
the WSS is over, we still should take a closer look at what was exhibited
and what we should remember about the exhibits. And then we should not
oversee the fact that even such a world-class exhibition can reveal the
darker sides of a generally bright and exciting picture of what philately
and stamp collecting should represent. More precisely, illegal stamps were
found included in a number of competitive stamp exhibits.

For more information: http://www.pwmo.org/Illegals/16-WPO-Report-WSS-NY.htm

Victor Manta, PWO

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old July 24th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

wrote in message

[...]

Nice to see a posting from you, Stan!

Victor

Old July 25th 16, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:18:12 -0400, "Victor Manta"
And then we should not
oversee the fact that even such a world-class exhibition can reveal the
darker sides of a generally bright and exciting picture of what philately
and stamp collecting should represent. More precisely, illegal stamps were
found included in a number of competitive stamp exhibits.

Victor

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

If memory serves, we had seebecks, et. al; Black Blots and other
spurious issues far back over 100 years ago.

Shame the elite hoi-poloi now don't consider them as a ground for
downgrading.

Another good reason NOT to bother with the 'exhibit' foolishness.
Old July 27th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:18:12 -0400, "Victor Manta"
And then we should not
oversee the fact that even such a world-class exhibition can reveal the
darker sides of a generally bright and exciting picture of what philately
and stamp collecting should represent. More precisely, illegal stamps
were
found included in a number of competitive stamp exhibits.

Victor

If memory serves, we had seebecks, et. al; Black Blots and other

spurious issues far back over 100 years ago.

Sorry, but you don't write about the same issues I did.

" The APS was appalled, and created the “black blot†program. The society
published a monthly magazine for members, and began to include a list of new
stamp issues that were judged to be overpriced or unnecessary."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...atelic_Society

"Illegal stamps are postage stamp-like labels issued in the names of
existing independent countries or territories used to defraud postal
administrations, stamp collectors, and the general public. Often, but not
always, a member nation of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) will have asked
the UPU to issue of an "International Bureau Circular" advising others of
the illegal stamps."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_stamps

Old July 28th 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

Sorry, but you don't write about the same issues I did.
Miss d'Point, the problem has existed in various forms for well over
a century.

" The APS was appalled, and created the “black blot” program. The society
published a monthly magazine for members, and began to include a list of new
stamp issues that were judged to be overpriced or unnecessary."

"Around 1970" ... Yawn - they came about 75 years AFTER the GB
publications initiated that!

As always with the APS, much too little, far too late!

I gave you a hint in mentioning "Seebeck"

"Illegal stamps are postage stamp-like labels issued in the names of
existing independent countries or territories used to defraud postal
administrations, stamp collectors, and the general public. Often, but not
always, a member nation of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) will have asked
the UPU to issue of an "International Bureau Circular" advising others of
the illegal stamps."

Only one of many schemes to "defraud postal administrations, stamp
collectors, and the general public." Especially stamp collectors!

What about the 'reproductions' that are fooling many younger
collectors - promoted BY the Postal 'Authorities' ????

Victor Manta, PWO

Old July 28th 16, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

What about the 'reproductions' that are fooling many younger
collectors - promoted BY the Postal 'Authorities' ????

Speaking of the devil, in these articles:

http://www.pwmo.org/Illegals/15-inva...ive-issues.htm
http://www.pwmo.org/abusives/abusives-2013-en.htm

you can learn about the PWO position on them. I suppose that our opinions
are similar.

Old July 29th 16, 04:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

What about the 'reproductions' that are fooling many younger
collectors - promoted BY the Postal 'Authorities' ????

Speaking of the devil, in these articles:
http://www.pwmo.org/Illegals/15-inva...ive-issues.htm
http://www.pwmo.org/abusives/abusives-2013-en.htm
you can learn about the PWO position on them. I suppose that our opinions
are similar.

I'm perhaps even stronger because of things as:
http://tinyurl.com/gt9lega

There are others.

Here, the colour and the crosshatch background to the KGV head 'give
it away', but I'll be we'll have many a collection with it in,
priced as full value. Some on eBay had a 'start' of £100!

NO legitimate PO should be producing such trash !!!

The mass of 'pretty pictures' is why I quit my US collecting, it's
also why I stopped my GB and Australia collections at
decimalization. There are some 'labels' included, but the mass wave
was yet to come, flooding the market with garbage.

Right now, through 2014 issues, the Concise uses 302 pages to list
them. Of that only 57 pages are needed to deal with 130 years of
solid postally needed issues [well most are], the rest for the bulk
wallpaper of the last 35.