ANA selling email addresses

Old July 28th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

Default ANA selling email addresses

I just received an email from Collateral Finance Corporation headed up
ANA Members and I really hope that the ANA received a lot of money for
selling my name to them.

George
--
Support Communism

SHOP

Walmart
Old July 29th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Jul 28, 6:12*pm, George D wrote:
I just received an email from Collateral Finance Corporation headed up
ANA Members and I really hope that the ANA received a lot of money for
selling my name to them.

You have a unique email address just for the ANA, is that right?

I have not received anything via email from CFC though I do have
emails from the ANA in the queue right now.

Is another explanation possible?
Did someone at CFC tell you that they bought the ANA email list?

What did they attempt to sell you that they did not offer me?

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Skeptical and yet somehow envious ...
Old July 29th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 28, 6:23*pm, Mike Marotta wrote:
On Jul 28, 6:12*pm, George D wrote:

I just received an email from Collateral Finance Corporation headed up
ANA Members and I really hope that the ANA received a lot of money for
selling my name to them.

You have a unique email address just for the ANA, is that right?

I have not received anything via email from CFC though I do have
emails from the ANA in the queue right now.

Is another explanation possible?
Did someone at CFC tell you that they bought the ANA email list?

What did they attempt to sell you that they did not offer me?

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Skeptical and yet somehow envious ...

CFC is a group of numismatic insiders who have put together a finance
company-like arrangement to provide some $$$ to help people hold
inventories of numismatic and bullion coins. I am not sure how they
are chartered or otherwise regulated compared to other financial
institutions. No doubt there is a need for the service.

They "sell" loans.

oly
Old July 29th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

Mike Marotta wrote:
On Jul 28, 6:12 pm, George D wrote:
I just received an email from Collateral Finance Corporation

headed up ANA Members

and I really hope that the ANA received a lot of money for
selling my name to them.

You have a unique email address just for the ANA, is that right?

I have not received anything via email from CFC though I do have
emails from the ANA in the queue right now.

Is another explanation possible?
Did someone at CFC tell you that they bought the ANA email list?

What did they attempt to sell you that they did not offer me?

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Skeptical and yet somehow envious ...

As I see it the only way they could know I was a ANA member is if ANA
sold them their list...

"headed up ANA Members"
--
Support Communism

SHOP

Walmart
Old July 29th 09, 12:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Jul 28, 10:56 pm, George D wrote:
As I see it the only way they could know I was a ANA member is if ANA
sold them their list...

George, while you are a long time poster and all that, please
appreciate the fact that from a reader's point of view, in not
answering any of my questions, you provided no evidence of your claim.

An ANA member myself, I never heard of CFC until your message. So,
obviously, they are not polling all ANA members.

Searching "Collateral Finance" on the ANA website, I found this press
release from two years ago, almost to date. Here is a snippet from
the top:

IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 30, 2007
CONTACT: Andy Dickes
Telephone: 719-482-9814
E-mail:
New Agreement Means Discounts for ANA
Members from Collateral Finance Corporation
The American Numismatic Association has selected Collateral Finance
Corporation (CFC) of Santa Monica, Calif., as the exclusive official
numismatic lender of the Association. As part of the agreement, ANA
members will have the opportunity to obtain discounted rates on loans.

Of course, this is from the days of Chris Cipoletti. Perhaps you
could ask the Board to ask the President to terminate the agreement.

As for CFC itself, according to its website, their "affiliates" also
might have access to your information, if you ever did business with
any of them.... or even asked for an auction catalog... or bought a
coin on Teletrade...

Collateral Finance Corporation is proud to be the Official Numismatic
Lender of the American Numismatic Association!
Collateral Finance Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of A-Mark
Precious Metals, Inc.

Please visit our affiliates:
Bowers and Merena Auctions
Greg Martin Auctions
A-Mark Precious Metals, Inc.
H.R. Harmer, Inc.
Heinrich Köhler Auktionshaus
Teletrade
Spectrum Numismatics
John Bull Stamp Auctions
Corinphila

http://www.cfccoinloans.com/

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Dogged and relentless pursuit of facts."
Old July 29th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Charles Edwards

The ANA has long had my my e-mail address and I did not receive any
such message. I checked with two other local ANA members and they also
received no message.

Chas. Edwards

Old July 29th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oepepper

I am also an ANA member and have not been contacted by CFC, in any manner.
The ANA sends me newsletters and other member related email.

Old July 31st 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Jul 30, 12:50*pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
George D wrote:
I just received an email from Collateral Finance Corporation headed up

Me too
JAM

Was the email from the CFC or from the ANA?
At the bottom, did it not say that to be removed from the email list,
contact money.org?

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Sometimes, details are important."

Old July 31st 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

wrote:
George D wrote:
I just received an email from Collateral Finance Corporation headed up

Me too
JAM

Was the email from the CFC or from the ANA?
At the bottom, did it not say that to be removed from the email list,
contact money.org?

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Sometimes, details are important."

I never got to the bottom. I submitted it as spam as soon as I saw what
it was.

JAM