Selling Opinions - Modern US Proof/Mint Sets

Old September 3rd 03, 03:15 AM
Nick Knight

Default Selling Opinions - Modern US Proof/Mint Sets

Me again ...

Yes, I've still got these proof and mint sets. After all of the recent talk
about selling stuff on eBay vs. to a dealer, I'm waffling back and forth on
what to do.

Basically, I have an accumulation of proof and mint sets dating from 1969
through 1993. This includes some Ikes in proof packaging. It's not 100%
complete, but for the most part, I've got "one of each" proof and mint sets
for these years. I did manage to tally them up with Grey Sheet prices. The
low price was $490 and the higher $544.90. 49 pieces total.

Opinions on what I might get by selling under various options? Basically,
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble parting the lot out and
selling indivually, vs selling all as a lot, either via eBay or to a dealer.
To me, $50 more to sell 49 individual items on eBay would not be worth it

Any guess as to what the spread might end up being, selling to a dealer vs.
individually on eBay? I realize there's no real answer short of trying one
or the other technique, but I figure I'd listen to opinions and see if any
move me

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Old September 3rd 03, 03:26 AM
Stujoe

In article , Nick
Knight spoke thusly...

Opinions on what I might get by selling under various options? Basically,
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble parting the lot out and
selling indivually, vs selling all as a lot, either via eBay or to a dealer.
To me, $50 more to sell 49 individual items on eBay would not be worth it

If you are looking for more convenience and willing to take a little
less overall, I would go for the One Big Lot on Ebay, ask for offers
here, or find a dealer.

Additionally, if you don't happen to want to take the time to write
up a good description of everything, don't want to take some decent
photos, don't want to worry about a return privilege, if you have a
low (not saying bad but rather low) feedback rating and such, I would
just go with a dealer.

Me? I can pinch a penny and make it scream in pain and also have some
Ebay selling experience (and enjoy it to an extent) so I would
probably do multiple (probably not 49, but multiple) Ebay lots. But,
it sounds like you are looking more to just liquidate and be done
with it and that is something dealers are very good at doing for you.

--
Stu Miller
Visit the Virtual Coin Museum (over 100 displays):
Old September 3rd 03, 04:22 AM
Andrew Auletta

Nick -- If you're selling to a dealer, you can expect anywhere from 5
to 20% back of bid for proof and mint sets, which varies from
dealer-to-dealer. Depending on our inventory levels, we generally
bring in lots for between 5 and 7% back of bid shipped. This is not
an offer to buy them, just a "heads up" on what you can expect.

--Andrew

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:15:02 GMT, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

[...]

We want to be your only coin supply dealer!
Shop with us online and save:
http://www.brent-krueger.com

Visit our new dealer showroom and retail outlet:
Brent-Krueger Coin Supplies
186 Scotch Rd.
Ewing NJ 08628
(800) 259-0158
Old September 3rd 03, 04:34 AM
Mike

I have been slowly selling some of mine off. I set the starting bid at ask
on most of them so I can get "bid" money after the Ebay fees. About half of
the listings last week sold.

There is an ad on the back of the Graysheet from a company to buy most sets
at bid. I searched for their website and it appears they are buying for one
of the home shopping channels. What ever I don't sell I'll probably package
up and ship off to there.

t...

Old September 3rd 03, 10:58 AM
Ed Kelley

We will generally pay bid for nice, clean sets in excellent condition. As
such, we pay a little more than most dealers BUT we will return any sets
that are not up to our quality standards. If they have any toning, spotting,
carbon spots, other distractions or the envelops/boxes are not in great
shape, we will not buy them and will send them back along with payment for
the ones we keep.

--
Ed Kelley - Proprietor
http://www.kelleyscoins.com