Las Vegas and Golden Dollars

Old January 29th 04, 10:42 PM
Fred Shecter

Default Las Vegas and Golden Dollars

I just got off the phone with the new Monorail folks. The fare machines will indeed give
dollar coins (GDs and/or SBAs) in change as well as accept them. "They are the latest
machines that everyone else is using, including BART".

I didn't even know that BART used dollar coins. Perhaps they are finally upgrading.

-Fred Shecter
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

Old January 30th 04, 12:01 AM
Grandpa

Albuquerque's fareboxes are so old that until recently they were
accepting the dollar coins as quarters. It came to light when our fares
increased for 75¢ to $1.

Old January 30th 04, 12:59 AM
jetgraphics

Fred Shecter wrote:
I just got off the phone with the new Monorail folks. The fare machines
will indeed give dollar coins (GDs and/or SBAs) in change as well as
accept them. "They are the latest machines that everyone else is using,
including BART".

I didn't even know that BART used dollar coins. Perhaps they are finally
upgrading.

"Gold and Susan B" are NOT dollars, pursuant to the Coinage Act of 1792, et
seq. They are frauds, as are the Federal Reserve Notes.
Old January 30th 04, 02:53 AM
Bob Flaminio

Fred Shecter wrote:
I didn't even know that BART used dollar coins. Perhaps they are
finally upgrading.

If so, it'd be news to me. I've never successfully used a dollar coin in
any BART ticket or parking machine.

--
Bob

Old January 30th 04, 02:14 PM
Fred Shecter

Check around and see what you can find out. They either started replacing older machines
in the system or there is a new station or a new line/extension. I don't live there, I
just repeated what the Las Vegas monorail guy said over the phone. Perhaps he was
mistaken, or perhaps they are upgrading. if you call the BART folks and they confirm new
machines that will be good news to share with others. And then give them positive feedback
for finally upgrading the machines. I see the brochure indicates a limit on change from
ticket vending machines, so those must be the older ones. Geez - the USPS got rid of those
older machines that could only give quarters in change in the 1980's.

http://www.bart.gov/index.asp
http://www.bart.gov/docs/BART020904.pdf

-Fred Shecter

Old January 30th 04, 04:20 PM
Bob Flaminio

Fred Shecter wrote:
Check around and see what you can find out. They either started
replacing older machines in the system or there is a new station or a
new line/extension.

Next time I cruise BART I'll definitely give it a go. My most recent
experience (previously recounted in RCC, retold for MTU-T) was at the
Millbrae station, which is one of the newest stations in the system.
Parking there is $2 -- tried two GDs in the parking machine, no dice. A
$5 bill returned 12 quarters in change. Icky. At the ticketing machine,
GDs were similarly coinage non grata. I ended up stuffing a $20 in,
which I still have around $10 of fare left on (I don't take BART every
day).

--
Bob

Old January 30th 04, 05:39 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Bob Flaminio"

I've never successfully used a dollar coin in any BART ticket or parking

machine.

When our city government discussed the possibility of upgrading the parking
meters here to accept the GDs, somehow the conversation got waylayed, and we
wound up with the upgrade accepting *=instead of the GDs=* ATM Cards. Here, at
upgraded parking meters, you can now use your plastic.

8-]

Coin Saver
Old January 31st 04, 03:43 PM
WinWinscenario

Here, at
upgraded parking meters, you can now use your plastic.

CalTrain has been taking plastic for a long time. Very convenient.

Regards,
Tom
Old February 4th 04, 05:51 PM
Barney

"Fred Shecter" wrote in
:

The fare machines will indeed give
dollar coins (GDs and/or SBAs) in change as well as accept them. "They
are the latest machines that everyone else is using, including BART".

Good to hear that there's going to be more dollar coins circulating. I
would think that this would help with the draw down rate.

INTERESTING FIND.....

I finally ran across my first 2001 Golden Dollar! (that I know of) It was
a few weeks ago and there was about 2 or 3 of them in the few rolls that I
picked up.

I have the feeling that they could have come from another area since 2001
GDs are still pretty much unheard of in my area.

Barney
Old February 4th 04, 06:28 PM
Michael G. Koerner

Barney wrote:

"Fred Shecter" wrote in
:

The fare machines will indeed give
dollar coins (GDs and/or SBAs) in change as well as accept them. "They
are the latest machines that everyone else is using, including BART".

Good to hear that there's going to be more dollar coins circulating. I
would think that this would help with the draw down rate.

The next thing - $1 coin slot machines in the stations.

;-)

BTW, has anyone heard anything recently about what the current drawdown
rate is and any estimates on when we'll see the next business-strike
production run?

INTERESTING FIND.....

I finally ran across my first 2001 Golden Dollar! (that I know of) It was
a few weeks ago and there was about 2 or 3 of them in the few rolls that I
picked up.

I have the feeling that they could have come from another area since 2001
GDs are still pretty much unheard of in my area.

Barney

About 1 in 50 that I get here are 2001 (either mint).

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |