What does 'type' mean?

Old November 2nd 03, 11:55 PM
HERBERT SCHMITT

Default What does 'type' mean?

What does 'type' mean in the context of silver 50 cent commems?
PCGS lists prices for 'type' coins, and then again for specific mint marks.
Their lingo guide does not explain this sufficiently
Thaniks,
Herb Schmitt

Old November 3rd 03, 12:19 AM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

There may be several dates and mint marks for particular coins. E. g., the
Booker T. Washington Memorial commemorative was made each year from
1946-1951 at all three mints, Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco. So
there are 18 coins in all. A "type" just means a representative example, i.
e., one coin, from these dates and mm's.

ink.net...

Old November 3rd 03, 12:26 AM
Bill Krummel

"HERBERT SCHMITT" wrote in message
ink.net...
What does 'type' mean in the context of silver 50 cent commems?
PCGS lists prices for 'type' coins, and then again for specific mint

marks.
Their lingo guide does not explain this sufficiently
Thaniks,
Herb Schmitt

Type reflects commonality within the specific design.

For example, if you want a nice Oregon commemorative half, just to have
that type of coin, get a 1926 (83,000 mintage)or a 1926-S (43,000 mintage),
but don't look for anything in 1939, regardless of mint mark (3,000 mintage
each for PDS).

It's just like any series of coin. If you just want a nice example, you get
a common date with high mintage rather than an date, mm example that is low
on supply and high in demand. Of course, if you have the money, you can
build a type set with the most expensive keys and semikeys. Most collectors
could not afford to do that. Bill

Old November 4th 03, 12:40 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"HERBERT SCHMITT" wrote:
What does 'type' mean in the context of silver 50 cent commems?

You got the right answers, already. You did specify that your concern
was for the PCGS price listing of 50-cent commemoratives.

I just wanted to append a footnote for you here. The word "type" does
have a broader meaning that does not necessarily conflict with what
was posted in answer to your initial question. If someone says that
they collect "U.S. Type" they mean one of each kind of coin,
regardless of year and Mint mark. That is clear. However... a
footnote to the footnote... it is not always clear that this includes,
for instance, early Federal coins, especially Early American Copper.
To me -- and others may perceive the matter differently -- the Indian
Head Cent is a "Type" coin, but the Large Cent is not. Generally, U.S.
Type most often refers to coins from the Seated Liberty Series forward
and ending with the coming of the Presidents. Our current coins are
not always considered "Type." If I tell someone that I collect U.S.
Type, the Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, etc., may or may not be in
that set and in my case, it would not be. There is no dictionary
definition for this, that I know of.
Old November 4th 03, 01:04 AM
Bob Flaminio

Michael E. Marotta wrote:
If I tell someone that I collect U.S.
Type, the Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, etc., may or may not be in
that set and in my case, it would not be. There is no dictionary
definition for this, that I know of.

Indeed, and every collector has to come up with their own definition of
"type", if that is their way. I can ask the question: How many "types"
comprise the Lincoln series of cents, and the answer can be most any
number, all of which are correct to that collector. (Except of course
that the real answer, as we all know, is four.)

--
Bob

Old November 4th 03, 03:58 AM
George D

Michael E. Marotta wrote:
"HERBERT SCHMITT" wrote:

Snip

the Indian Head Cent is a "Type" coin, but the Large Cent is not. Generally, U.S.
Type most often refers to coins from the Seated Liberty Series forward
and ending with the coming of the Presidents. Our current coins are
not always considered "Type." If I tell someone that I collect U.S.
Type, the Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, etc., may or may not be in
that set and in my case, it would not be. There is no dictionary
definition for this, that I know of.

Balderdash for US coins every publication I have read lists at least 5 different "types"
of large cents. I believe that all coins minted in the us since 1776 with a major design
change would be considered a "type".

IMHO that is.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

"A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he
felt. He said, I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One
wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving,
compassionate one. The grandson asked him, Which wolf will win the
fight in your heart? The grandfather answered, The one I feed."

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.