Q: Frederic Remington

Old July 10th 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Default Q: Frederic Remington

In my German Art Stamp catalogue Scott #1176 (USA 1961) is listed as a
painting by Frederic Remington, while Scott 2005 lists it as a drawing by
Charles M. Russell. Assuming that Scott is correct, rather than the German
catalogue (Michel 806), I wonder how Remington comes into the picture? Does
anyone know?

There are not tooo many paintings by Remington available, but I have the
Trans Mississippi issues 1898, the portrait 1940, and the "Smoke Signals"
1961.

Mette

Old July 10th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Frederic Remington

G'day Mette,
unable to answer the question (SG numbers only)

The "smoke signals" is a detail,
here is the full picture (apologies for poor scan -my old scanner)
http://cjoint.com/data/hknAKsODeD.htm

Also Remington features in the US "illustrators" set of 2001
SG3917 34c
If you do a feature on Remington, would love to see it!

HTH

. ..

Old July 10th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse
G'day Mette,
unable to answer the question (SG numbers only)

The "smoke signals" is a detail,
here is the full picture (apologies for poor scan -my old scanner)
http://cjoint.com/data/hknAKsODeD.htm

Thanks Rod, interesting stamp. It must be fairly recent, since it is not
listed in my art cat. Do you know the year of issuance? And also, do you by
any chance have the three Paraguay Remington-issues 1975 (one stamp) and
1976 (two stamps) ? If not, it's no disaster, I may be able to find them
elsewhere.

Also Remington features in the US "illustrators" set of 2001
SG3917 34c
If you do a feature on Remington, would love to see it!

I have the illustrators pane, and will find that one too. And I just found
one from 1981, Scott 1934 (sculpture, Coming through the Rye). I am working
on a small Remington-page, and will let you know :-)

Mette

Old July 10th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jeffry L. Johnson

In article ,
"Mette" wrote:

In my German Art Stamp catalogue Scott #1176 (USA 1961) is listed as a
painting by Frederic Remington, while Scott 2005 lists it as a drawing by
Charles M. Russell. Assuming that Scott is correct, rather than the German
catalogue (Michel 806), I wonder how Remington comes into the picture? Does
anyone know?

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/Aff-...FID--665713/TK
ID--15034878/pd--12017922/posters.htm
The Trail Boss by Charles Russell

http://www.jcs-group.com/oldwest/wes...ussellart.html
http://www.jcs-group.com/oldwest/wes...ingtonart.html
http://www.fredericremington.org/
Old July 10th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Rod, interesting stamp. It must be fairly recent, since it is not
listed in my art cat. Do you know the year of issuance?

The details are always top of the CJoint image Mette,
(unless I misunderstand you)
1976 SG2056

And also, do you by
any chance have the three Paraguay Remington-issues 1975 (one stamp) and
1976 (two stamps) ? If not, it's no disaster, I may be able to find them
elsewhere.

I checked Paraguay without luck, I'm afraid.

I have the illustrators pane, and will find that one too. And I just

found
one from 1981, Scott 1934 (sculpture, Coming through the Rye). I am

working
on a small Remington-page, and will let you know :-)

Yes, I had no idea he was a sculptor as well, what a gifted creature!

Mette

Old July 10th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Mette wrote:

Thanks Rod, interesting stamp. It must be fairly recent, since it is not
listed in my art cat. Do you know the year of issuance? And also, do you by
any chance have the three Paraguay Remington-issues 1975 (one stamp) and
1976 (two stamps) ? If not, it's no disaster, I may be able to find them
elsewhere.

Mette

Mette:

The Nicaragua stamp is Scott #1028 issued 1976-May-25.
The Paraguay issues a
Scott #1625e 25c The Emigrants - Remingtom (1975-Nov-20)
Scott #1694e (5 guarni) F Remington (1976-Sept-09)
Scott #1694f (10 guarni - horizontal) F Remington (1976-Sept-09)

Blair

Old July 10th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

- snip -

Mette:

The Nicaragua stamp is Scott #1028 issued 1976-May-25.
The Paraguay issues a
Scott #1625e 25c The Emigrants - Remingtom (1975-Nov-20)
Scott #1694e (5 guarni) F Remington (1976-Sept-09)
Scott #1694f (10 guarni - horizontal) F Remington (1976-Sept-09)

Thank you Blair. I will keep an eye out for them. For the moment I will have
to do without, but that's not very serious, since I can present a fair
number of Remington-stamps already for a web page.

Mette

Old July 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Mette wrote:
In my German Art Stamp catalogue Scott #1176 (USA 1961)
is listed as a painting by Frederic Remington, while Scott
2005 lists it as a drawing by Charles M. Russell. Assuming
that Scott is correct, rather than the German catalogue
(Michel 806), I wonder how Remington comes into the
picture? Does anyone know?

Mette

Good Morning , Mette:

Here is the stamp:
http://www.1847usa.com/identify/1960s/1176.jpg

Here is "The Trail Boss" by Charles M Russell (1864-1926)
(monochrome sketch)
http://69.69.245.68/gallery/sketches/trailbmo.gif

Please note that the LEFT side of the design comes from
Russell's "The Trail Boss" (see below).

The RIGHT side of the design differd from the Russell work.
I do not know its source, or if it comes from a Remington work.

By the way, according to Renner (1956; reprinted in Dippie,
1999, p. 288) the colored print version of Charlie Russell's
famous original pen-and-ink sketch of The Trail Boss is a
forgery. Renner (1956) specifically named eight C. M. Russell
pen sketches that were water colored by unscrupulous
mountebanks and sold to unsuspecting collectors as "originals".

Note: Frederic G. Renner is usually regarded as the most
knowledgeable and leading authority on C. M. Russell. As
a boy, Renner spent time in Russell's studio in Great Falls,
Montana. J. Frank Dobie claimed that Renner knew more
about Russell "... than anybody else alive"
(Taliaferro in Dippie, 1999, p. 210)

Blair