Hello, and a question

Old January 10th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Hello, and a question

Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and I am excited to be a
member!! I love to talk and learn about coins. Collecting them is fun
too! I have a question about Civil War Tokens. I have been doing some
reading, and have discovered that there was a half cent token made in
1863. Does anyone know anything about this? I am trying to help out a
friend of mine, who happened accross that token and a store card token
at an auction. Any information would be great, be it good, bad, or
indifferent. Oh, I guess one more thing. I just moved to AL, on the
AL/GA state line. Is anyone from that area and know of any good shops?
Thanks!!

JESSICA

Old January 10th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...
...Oh, I guess one more thing. I just moved to AL, on the
AL/GA state line. Is anyone from that area and know of any good shops?
Thanks!!

Hi, Jessica, and welcome! I used to live in Phenix City on the AL-GA line.
There wasn't much in the way of coin shops in the area that I remember.
There are several shops in the northwest cities of the state, the Atlanta
area, and Macon. If you're in the more southern part of the state,
Tallahassee FL may be the best place to shop for a large selection. Some
antique stores sell coins, but the coins are often polished -- I guess the
stores want the coins to match their silver. I never can figure out why
antique store owners shun re-touched antique furniture, but think cleaned
coins are great.

Your local yellow pages are a good place to start looking. If nothing is
available, eBay and online stores are good places to look.

Anita

Old January 10th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

have a question about Civil War Tokens. I have been doing some
reading, and have discovered that there was a half cent token made in
1863. Does anyone know anything about this?

There are lots of very knowledgable token collectors on
this forum, but they usually require more information to
venture an opinion. Ideally, post a picture on a website
(no binary files here) and link to the website. Or you
can post on abpn. A good picture is best. Second
best is a detailed description, including precise size,
metallic composition, and description of writing and
other engraving on the coin.

Regards,
Tom

Old January 10th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and I am excited to be a
member!! I love to talk and learn about coins. Collecting them is fun
too! I have a question about Civil War Tokens. I have been doing some
reading, and have discovered that there was a half cent token made in
1863. Does anyone know anything about this? I am trying to help out a
friend of mine, who happened accross that token and a store card token
at an auction. Any information would be great, be it good, bad, or
indifferent. Oh, I guess one more thing. I just moved to AL, on the
AL/GA state line. Is anyone from that area and know of any good shops?
Thanks!!

JESSICA

Most of the Civil War tokens, if they had a date at all, traded at one cent.
On the reverse side, a lot of them read NOT ONE CENT, as did many of the
Hard Times tokens a few decades before.

Are you sure the token isn't dated 1837? There's a famous Hard Times token
from that year.

Mr. Jaggers

Old January 11th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
Snip
If you're in the more southern part of the state,
Tallahassee FL may be the best place to shop for a large selection. Some
antique stores sell coins, but the coins are often polished -- I guess the
stores want the coins to match their silver. I never can figure out why
antique store owners shun re-touched antique furniture, but think cleaned
coins are great.

Your local yellow pages are a good place to start looking. If nothing is
available, eBay and online stores are good places to look.

Anita

Unfortunately, Tallahassee has not had a coin shop in over 10 years now.
Lake City is the closest shop near Tallahassee. Unless, of course, you
count the pawn shop that also has a few coins on display... or the antique
stores that have the highly polished coins.

If you know of a shop in Tallahassee, please let me know.

Thank you,

--
Jonathan_ATC