Review: Kaweco Sport ink roller

Old April 23rd 08, 11:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Review: Kaweco Sport ink roller

Specs:

Length capped: 4-1/8 inches
Length uncapped: 4 inches
Length posted: 5.25 inches
Diameter: 3/8 inch at the grip
Weight with Monteverde mini converter: 0.325 oz.

The Kaweco Sport ink roller is a pleasant surprise. I avoided ordering one
earlier because a similar pen made by a different company sold in a local
store wrote too broadly for me. The photo at Pendemonium showing line
comparisons and describing the line as .6mm persuaded me it was worth a try
and I'm glad I did.

I got the red Ice which is a very attractive, compact pen that fits well
into a pocket. It's a true red, not orangey. It's translucent enough to see
the ink level inside the clear barrel without unscrewing the cap. I usually
write with caps unposted, but this feels better, and is comfortable, with
the cap posted.

The ink cartridge that came with the Kaweco lays a bright, attractive blue
line that is too broad for my writing and made it sloppy. I then filled the
optional mini Monteverde converter with Montblanc Sepia by inserting the
converter into the ink and pulling up the stem until the chamber was nearly
full, withdrawing the converter from the ink, pulling up the stem the rest
of the way so the ink would be drawn completely inside enabling me to wipe
the outside without wicking up the ink inside. Writing with the MB ink
brought the line width down to .4mm. Very nice.

The Kaweco doesn't write as smoothly as my Fine Parker rollerballs and
requires more pressure with either ink I tried, but being able to have
different ink colors makes up for any lack of smoothness. Having to use more
pressure, however, means that I can't write as long as with my fps or my
Parker Reflex rb.

This will be an enjoyable pen to use up the MB inks that I bought just to
have the bottles and I look forward to trying other inks in it, too.

I like it well enough that I ordered another in a different color with the
matching fp for the 14th birthday of a friend's daughter.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

M.SUNDIN seasson review review ft Jean-Marie Béland Hockey 0 December 15th 07 06:19 PM
Kaweco Sport ( hotrod ) Juan Pens & Pencils 2 October 24th 06 04:48 AM
Kaweco Sport (Ice) Ink Ball [email protected] Pens & Pencils 0 February 16th 06 07:48 AM
Kaweco Set Wanted. Don Pens & Pencils 2 July 7th 05 04:39 PM
Kaweco "Eyedropper" Ink Rollers Chuck Swisher Pens & Pencils 7 May 21st 05 07:10 PM