Frederic Remington on Stamps

Old July 11th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Default Frederic Remington on Stamps

For quite some time I have been wanting to set up a page about the American
painter and sculptor Frederic Remington. I had -- more or less -- the
material needed, but not enough info to set up a proper page.

A couple of days ago I received a beautiful book "Wyoming on Stamps" by Jack
Rosenthal, compiled by the Nicolaysen Art Museum, Casper, Wyoming. All of a
sudden everything fell into place, and my page about Frederic Remington is
now online.
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/frame-Remington.htm

I could still fiddle around a bit with the page, but right now it is
absolutely worth a visit. Other than Remington you will also meet such
flamboyant characters as Buffalo Bill (Pony Express Rider) and Sitting Bull
(chief and medicine man of the Sioux nation), both part of Remington's
colourful history.

Mette
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk
------
Outgoing messages checked with Norton AV

Old July 12th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

I very much look forward to reading this tonight,
I was fascinated by Buffalo Bill when I was a kid, and read
numerous books about him, and ended up naming my son after him (Cody)
When he gets home tonight, we'll take an extended bo-peep.
Unfortunately, the a habit formed of getting hooked on dime novels,
which took all my pocket money, Remington's paintings coloured the
imaginations like no other

. ..

Old July 12th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse

I very much look forward to reading this tonight,
I was fascinated by Buffalo Bill when I was a kid, and read
numerous books about him, and ended up naming my son after him (Cody)

Once I saw a photograph of Cody, I had a feeling that this might be the
case, but never dared ask directly :-)

When he gets home tonight, we'll take an extended bo-peep.
Unfortunately, the a habit formed of getting hooked on dime novels,
which took all my pocket money, Remington's paintings coloured the
imaginations like no other

Within the first 24 hours after publishing the page has had some 500 hits,
and I have received 125+ emails about this particular page. It seems that
people like it -- something about lassoing and flying horse hooves, indians
and cowboys, the true Wild West ... ;-)

Mette

. ..

Old July 13th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:16:59 +0200, "Mette"
wrote:

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse

I very much look forward to reading this tonight,
I was fascinated by Buffalo Bill when I was a kid, and read
numerous books about him, and ended up naming my son after him (Cody)

Once I saw a photograph of Cody, I had a feeling that this might be the
case, but never dared ask directly :-)

When he gets home tonight, we'll take an extended bo-peep.
Unfortunately, the a habit formed of getting hooked on dime novels,
which took all my pocket money, Remington's paintings coloured the
imaginations like no other

Within the first 24 hours after publishing the page has had some 500 hits,
and I have received 125+ emails about this particular page. It seems that
people like it -- something about lassoing and flying horse hooves, indians
and cowboys, the true Wild West ... ;-)

Yee-haa! Cool page. What would accentuate this is some of the
Remington statues that were created. The smaller, desktop ones I am
talking about. I guess that many were expensive, unless there are
knock-offs being created. I've seen a few - one in my ex-dentist's
office in Albany. His waiting room was done "Wild Wild West" with
plenty of Native American and "Go West, Young Man!" type art.

Dime novels were the rage in the U.S. in the late 19th century,
playing up their favorite heroes of the expansion to the West. Davy
Crockett, Buffalo Bill, Wyatt Earp, Annie Oakley, the James Gang,
Custer and the Sioux, even Pancho Villa! What a bunch... Remington
is somewhat like Rockwell - an American standard.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old July 13th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Lovely page Mette,
worthy of any "Boy's Own Manual"
we loved it.
The dime novels fade over time, but some phrases remain

"He hitched his prad to the sprig of a skunkweed,
hunkered down, and fished for the makings'"

I don't know about the "true wild west", after reading
"Bury my heart at wounded knee" you sense the real tragedy that occurred.
Remington's romanticism is the salve.

"Mette" wrote in message
. ..
"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse

I very much look forward to reading this tonight,
I was fascinated by Buffalo Bill when I was a kid, and read
numerous books about him, and ended up naming my son after him (Cody)

Once I saw a photograph of Cody, I had a feeling that this might be the
case, but never dared ask directly :-)

When he gets home tonight, we'll take an extended bo-peep.
Unfortunately, the a habit formed of getting hooked on dime novels,
which took all my pocket money, Remington's paintings coloured the
imaginations like no other

Within the first 24 hours after publishing the page has had some 500 hits,
and I have received 125+ emails about this particular page. It seems that
people like it -- something about lassoing and flying horse hooves,

indians
and cowboys, the true Wild West ... ;-)

Mette

. ..