Anecdotal Lincoln Comments

Old July 13th 04, 04:12 PM
Alan Williams

Default Anecdotal Lincoln Comments

A few things I've noticed in my three-year search of Lincoln Cent rolls
in Western Maryland are detailed below. Some have been discussed here
before, as they popped up, others are being mentioned for the first time.

I have no statistical evidence for these comments, they are impressions
I've formed from the microscopic examination of cents in circulated
rolls over 36 months. The total number of coins inspected is
approximately 78,000.

Wheatback cents are present in the circulating coinage, at a rate in the
neighborhood of one per thousand. Wheaties are most likely to come from
rolls stored in the vault for a long time, or from customer redeemed
rolls in 'less-affluent' neighborhoods. Wheaties are least frequent
from credit unions and banks with little commercial business, those
least involved in supplying coin to retailers. Vault service rolls do
not selectively remove steel, canadian or wheatbacked cents. Vault
service rolls are not adept at removing heavily damaged coins.

1973 Lincoln Cents are most often found with a prominent fin on the rim.
Unfinned 1973 cents are uncommon.

1992 Lincoln Cents are often machined doubled on the date.

1986 and 1987 Lincoln Cents are often poorly struck, with doubling,
pressure ridges and uneven fields, especially the obverses near the rims.

1972 Lincoln Cents in BU condition are found more frequently than any
other date within 5 years of 1972 in either direction. I can think of
no explanation for this phenomenon.

1969-D's are often poorly struck and weakly mintmarked with a
pencil-thin 'D' that is poorly centered and sometimes skewed. I now
save all 1969-D cents with strong mm's that are well-centered.

In this relatively small number of coins, I have been handed three
uncirculated rolls of early (1959-1963) Memorial cents, 7 steel cents,
one Indian Head (holed), several dimes, about 4 dozen canadian cents, a
blank planchet, five Type 2 reverses (one 1998, three 1999 and one
2000), three counterstamped coins (two with JFK's bust, one with a
horseman), and about a half pound of tar, bubble gum, glue, tape
residue, motor oil and paint. ;-)

Alan
'has no intention of stopping'
Old July 13th 04, 05:47 PM
Bob Flaminio

Alan Williams wrote:
1972 Lincoln Cents in BU condition are found more frequently than any
other date within 5 years of 1972 in either direction. I can think of
no explanation for this phenomenon.

I'll hazard a guess. In '72, IIRC, the big news was the discovery of the
new doubled die. So, people started hoarding 72s thinking that they
might have one of those "million dollar rarities". Years later they've
completely forgotten why they saved so many pennies, and dumped 'em all
back at the bank...

Only to be reclaimed...

By YOU .

--
Bob

Old July 13th 04, 05:58 PM
Alan Williams

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Alan Williams wrote:
1972 Lincoln Cents in BU condition are found more frequently than any
other date within 5 years of 1972 in either direction. I can think of
no explanation for this phenomenon.

I'll hazard a guess. In '72, IIRC, the big news was the discovery of the
new doubled die. So, people started hoarding 72s thinking that they
might have one of those "million dollar rarities". Years later they've
completely forgotten why they saved so many pennies, and dumped 'em all
back at the bank...

Only to be reclaimed...

By YOU .

--
Bob

That's a premise that holds water, assuming that the 1972 DDO was
'common knowledge' to the public. Or enough collectors grabbed boxes
and bank rolls!

A side note about 'S' Lincolns, which are not all that common here 120
miles from the Chesapeake Bay. 1974's are the most frequent (as
explained here in the past by ?Tom Delorey?, the Fed mixed the 1974 'S'
cents with D and P mintages to discourage hoarding) while the 1968 and
1969-S are least frequent. Oddly, about thirty minutes ago, I found my
first 1969-S in rolls from Kelco Federal Credit Union, the first rolls
I've searched from that source.

It's AU, bright Red, and heavily thumbprinted. ;-)

Alan
'marked for life'
Old July 13th 04, 06:04 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:12:24 GMT, Alan Williams is
alleged to have written:

A few things I've noticed in my three-year search of Lincoln Cent rolls
in Western Maryland are detailed below. Some have been discussed here
before, as they popped up, others are being mentioned for the first time.

*snip*

Very interesting. I'd have thought the proportion of wheaties was higher, but
maybe that's just Ohio.

Who knows? The Full mint mark coins may be worth money in a few decades. Who'd
have ever thought that FBL Franklins would take off the way they have?

Bruce

Old July 13th 04, 06:11 PM
Alan Williams

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:12:24 GMT, Alan Williams is
alleged to have written:

A few things I've noticed in my three-year search of Lincoln Cent rolls
in Western Maryland are detailed below. Some have been discussed here
before, as they popped up, others are being mentioned for the first time.

*snip*

Very interesting. I'd have thought the proportion of wheaties was higher, but
maybe that's just Ohio.

Who knows? The Full mint mark coins may be worth money in a few decades. Who'd
have ever thought that FBL Franklins would take off the way they have?

Bruce

Given enough decades, they will all have value. What does your Local
Coin Shoppe charge for IHC's in Good? ;-)

The wheat percentage is a guessestimate that I cannot refute nor
confirm. (Maybe I have a future inside the Beltway with language like
that!) I could count the wheat cents in my jar, but I'd be missing
those good enough for a 2x2 and I'd be adding those I received from Dan
Floyd which are intermingled. ;-/

It varies out here. I've gone through a stretch of $20 without a single
wheat (2,000 chances) and I've found up to 7 in a single roll (14%).
1/1000 is conservative, I think. 1/500 might be closer. 1/200 would be
too much. Eliminate the 1956-D, 1944 and 1958-D and the percentage drops
incredibly fast. ;-)

Alan
'they have nice tails, though'
Old July 13th 04, 06:18 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:58:24 GMT, Alan Williams is
alleged to have written:

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Alan Williams wrote:
1972 Lincoln Cents in BU condition are found more frequently than any
other date within 5 years of 1972 in either direction. I can think of
no explanation for this phenomenon.

I'll hazard a guess. In '72, IIRC, the big news was the discovery of the
new doubled die. So, people started hoarding 72s thinking that they
might have one of those "million dollar rarities". Years later they've
completely forgotten why they saved so many pennies, and dumped 'em all
back at the bank...

Only to be reclaimed...

By YOU .

--
Bob

That's a premise that holds water, assuming that the 1972 DDO was
'common knowledge' to the public. Or enough collectors grabbed boxes
and bank rolls!

IIR, the local fishwrapper did a front page story on the darn thing. The local
banks were most upset, lots of folks came in looking for 1972 rolls.

I got a couple of rolls just at the right time and managed to product a roll of
1972 DD's. I wish I still had that roll.

Bruce (bet I could get a lot more now)

Old July 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:11:07 GMT, Alan Williams is
alleged to have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:12:24 GMT, Alan Williams is
alleged to have written:

A few things I've noticed in my three-year search of Lincoln Cent rolls
in Western Maryland are detailed below. Some have been discussed here
before, as they popped up, others are being mentioned for the first time.

*snip*

Very interesting. I'd have thought the proportion of wheaties was higher, but
maybe that's just Ohio.

Who knows? The Full mint mark coins may be worth money in a few decades. Who'd
have ever thought that FBL Franklins would take off the way they have?

Bruce

Given enough decades, they will all have value. What does your Local
Coin Shoppe charge for IHC's in Good? ;-)

Whatever he thinks he can get and he's willing to deal, just like your local
coin shop. :-)

It varies out here. I've gone through a stretch of $20 without a single
wheat (2,000 chances) and I've found up to 7 in a single roll (14%).
1/1000 is conservative, I think. 1/500 might be closer. 1/200 would be
too much. Eliminate the 1956-D, 1944 and 1958-D and the percentage drops
incredibly fast. ;-)

I think (disclaimer: I've never really kept track of the chaff) that removing
those would make wheaties almost non-existant.

Alan
'they have nice tails, though'

I was going to call you a creep for that comment, but I think I'll call you a
"stalker" instead. :-)

Bruce (Apologies for the bad pun, but surely Alan deserves it!)

Old July 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Alan Williams

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

[...]

LOL! A stalker! Only too true. A double-stalker with deer hound hat
pursuing the Common Wheatie with diligence and no stealth.

Alan
'Here! wheatie,wheatie, wheatie! Nice coin!'
Old July 14th 04, 10:25 PM
Bob Flaminio

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I got a couple of rolls just at the right time and managed to product
a roll of 1972 DD's. I wish I still had that roll.

I once dated a girl that had a couple of DD's. I wish I still had her,
too ;-) ...

--
Bob

Old July 14th 04, 11:09 PM
Alan Williams

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I got a couple of rolls just at the right time and managed to product
a roll of 1972 DD's. I wish I still had that roll.

I once dated a girl that had a couple of DD's. I wish I still had her,

--
Bob

Those are DDO's...fifty of them? My goodness, Bruce, I'd be unable to sell
more than 40 or 45 of them... ;-)

Alan
'king of the VF 1967 Cent'