Ebay's Second Chance Offers

Old July 14th 03, 02:43 AM
Bill Krummel

Default Ebay's Second Chance Offers

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Has anyone ever questioned why eBay's Second Chance Offer option offers
the second highest bidder the option to BIN at a price elevated by the
voided high bid? I was about to win an auction at $105 until I was
sniped in the last seconds. I had entered a $185 proxy bid. The sniper
renegged and the seller sent a SCO email via Ebay at $185.

I realize that I had been prepared to spend $185, but if the voided bid
had not been made, I would have won at $105. Seems only fair to me that
if Ebay acknowledges a non-paying bidder, the effects of his bid should
be voided as well when a SCO is made. I have not dealt with this seller
before (Feedback 100% pos) but have no reason to suspect hanky panky.

Bruce

There may be no hanky panky, but let me give you a reason to consider the
possibility of hanky panky. A last second bidder pops in with a high enough
snipe bid to raise the sell price roughly 80%. Then reneges. Could be
innocent. But, if the seller does not want to sell a coin for $105, and has
a figure in mind he needs to have in order to actually part with the coin,
well, it is not to difficult to have a friend or even a regular client do a
favor by popping in a bid. Did you investigate the high bidder who reneged?

But, not your question. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable with taking
the seller up on the SCO. I might try one attempt at a counter offer,
explaining that I would have won for $105 except for a last second snipe,
placed by an eventual NPB. Maybe an offer of $140. If the seller passes, I
would think more suspiciously of the auction's outcome.

Which is still not your question. I guess it is the easy way as far as FVFs
if the item sells for the same price as the high bid, even if a SCO. No
adjustments necessary to FVF or the bookwork. There, that is my answer to
your question. Bill

Old July 14th 03, 02:44 AM
Bill Krummel

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

[...]

Whoops, I still haven't answered your question. My answer is - no. Bill

Old July 14th 03, 02:46 AM
Bill Krummel

[...]

My answer is not necessarily correct. My final answer - final answer? -
yes, final answer, is - I don't know, I never have. Bill

Old July 14th 03, 02:55 AM
Barry K

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:12:21 -0400, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Has anyone ever questioned why eBay's Second Chance Offer option offers
the second highest bidder the option to BIN at a price elevated by the
voided high bid? I was about to win an auction at $105 until I was
sniped in the last seconds. I had entered a $185 proxy bid. The sniper
renegged and the seller sent a SCO email via Ebay at $185.

I realize that I had been prepared to spend $185, but if the voided bid
had not been made, I would have won at $105. Seems only fair to me that
if Ebay acknowledges a non-paying bidder, the effects of his bid should
be voided as well when a SCO is made. I have not dealt with this seller
before (Feedback 100% pos) but have no reason to suspect hanky panky.

Bruce

I would offer the seller $105 for the coin, explaining that's all your
winning bid would have been. Worst that happens is he says no.
A similar situation came up with me. High bidder was outside US and
the auction was US bidders only. I offered it to the second bidder
(outside Ebay) for the winning bid (worth a try!), and he said he'd
give me what his bid was before the high bidder got in there. I agreed
and deal was done.

BTW, I thought bids couldn't be cancelled at the last minute any more.
No?
Barry

--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies
Old July 14th 03, 03:00 AM
Ken Barr

In article , wrote:

Has anyone ever questioned why eBay's Second Chance Offer option offers
the second highest bidder the option to BIN at a price elevated by the
voided high bid? I was about to win an auction at $105 until I was
sniped in the last seconds. I had entered a $185 proxy bid. The sniper
renegged and the seller sent a SCO email via Ebay at $185.

I realize that I had been prepared to spend $185, but if the voided bid
had not been made, I would have won at $105. Seems only fair to me that
if Ebay acknowledges a non-paying bidder, the effects of his bid should
be voided as well when a SCO is made. I have not dealt with this seller
before (Feedback 100% pos) but have no reason to suspect hanky panky.

As a seller, I only use the Second Chance Offer to offer
duplicate(s) to the underbidder(s) at their bid price.

The few times I've been stiffed by a buyer I simply reslist
the item and hope the original underbidder sees it ...
more often than not it sells to a third person for more than
the original reneged bid ...

One reason eBay may not want to go to one-increment-over-the-
underbid is due to multiple snipes ... if someone robosniped
at $160 *after* your proxy had been maxxed out at $185 by the
renegger, their snipe would have been rejected by the eBay
software. Without the bogo bid, you wuddinta got it at $105,
but rather $160 plus whatever the increment wuz ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics

P. O. Box 32541 website:
http://www.kenbarr.com
San Jose, CA 95152 (souvenir cards, MPC, Hickey Bros tokens)
408-272-3247 Next show: Modesto 7/12 (tent., no table)
ADVANCED NOTICE: ANA World's Fair of Money, San Jose, CA 7/27-31/2005
Old July 14th 03, 06:51 AM
Joe Fischer

:
:I realize that I had been prepared to spend $185, but if the voided bid
:had not been made, I would have won at $105. Seems only fair to me that
:if Ebay acknowledges a non-paying bidder, the effects of his bid should
:be voided as well when a SCO is made. I have not dealt with this seller
:before (Feedback 100% pos) but have no reason to suspect hanky panky.
:
:Bruce
:
: I would offer the seller $105 for the coin, explaining that's all your
: winning bid would have been. Worst that happens is he says no.

The Second Chance Offer should not have been used,
and there is no reason to agree to buy at any price under
these circumstances.

In my opinion a reneg smells like a shill,
and the only way to feel comfortable is to just suggest
the seller relist the item, the relisting is substantially
free under certain cirumstances.

Incidently, doesn't anybody else see some
problem with the seller not seeing the same info
as a bidder on the new format (it sucks regardless).

It seems like all programmers of software
and web pages are designing for at least 1024 x 768
resolution or higher, and that really hurts people
who have vision problems, and it makes most people
scroll to see anything at all.
At least Netscape 7.1 has a magnifier in
the browser, this really helps when looking at
coin images, and it helps on almost any image.
I just found it by accident today after
upgrading to 7.1 last night.

Does anybody know how to enter an objection
to the new ebay listing page?

Joe Fischer

--
3
Old July 14th 03, 05:41 PM
WinWinscenario

Even though I tentatively agreed to pay the seller $185, I think I will
try to diplomatically ask if he will split the difference at $140 or so.

If you "tentatively" agreed to pay $185, I would honor my commitment. It is
bad form, it seems to me, to start negotiations that would seem tantamount to a
reneg on your initial acceptance of his offer.

Take the advice offered and the wisdom gained to your subsequent transactions.

Regards,
Tom
Old July 14th 03, 06:29 PM
Edward McGrath

Bruce Remick wrote This isn't a coin. It's a beer can snip $185 for a
beer can??? Bruce I'll sell you a case of empty beer cans for $10

Old July 15th 03, 01:50 AM
Bruce Remick

WinWinscenario wrote:

Even though I tentatively agreed to pay the seller $185, I think I will
try to diplomatically ask if he will split the difference at $140 or so.

If you "tentatively" agreed to pay $185, I would honor my commitment. It is
bad form, it seems to me, to start negotiations that would seem tantamount to a
reneg on your initial acceptance of his offer.

Take the advice offered and the wisdom gained to your subsequent transactions.

Regards,
Tom

That's what I did. If the seller had left me an opening, I would have
brought up a possible price negotiation. I'm comfortable with the
price. I do wish now that I had suggested that the seller relist the
item, figuring I should have a good chance of getting for at less than
$185. Like you say, wisdom gained..... A year from now I'll be glad I
have it and won't remember what I paid for it.

Bruce
Old July 15th 03, 02:03 AM
Bruce Remick

Edward McGrath wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote This isn't a coin. It's a beer can snip $185 for a
beer can??? Bruce I'll sell you a case of empty beer cans for $10

If the cans are over 50 years old with no rust or dents, you're on. I
collect Narragansett Beer can varieties like some people collect bust
halves or large cents. My home town (RI). The can in question is
scarce in top condition, and usually sells for $200-250. It's an
upgrade for me. (No beer can grading services so far) I have a couple
Narragansetts in the $1,000 range. I forget the exact (5-figure) price
a rare Clipper Pale can brought on Ebay a year or so ago.

Bruce

Cards For Sale Make Offers - X-Files\Olivia\Trek LawLuhn Cards:- non-sport 0 November 10th 04 03:10 AM
Cards For Sale Make Offers - X-Files\Olivia\Trek LawLuhn Cards:- non-sport 0 July 2nd 04 06:13 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
Special offers Peter Edwards General 0 February 10th 04 08:06 PM
eBay's phone numbers and address contact ebay EBAY phone number 1-408-558-7400 Card discussions 0 August 22nd 03 04:22 PM