Survey Time: First IP Celeb You Met??!!

Old February 17th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
pe2[_7_]

Default Survey Time: First IP Celeb You Met??!!

Ok-

Survey time-i know, it's been awhile.

My first ever celeb, was in 1973 - meeting Football HOF'er Kenny Houston of
the Washington Redskins/Houston Oilers. He signed his 1973 Topps for me when
i was a kid.

Approximately 10 years ago-i met him again in Richmond, Virginia at the
annual State Fairgrounds "Tuff Stuff" show. He again, signed a 1973 Topps
for me, then signed HOF on the card. I then showed him the card he signed in
1973 for me, and all he said was "Thank You". We both knew what he meant...

pe2

Old February 17th 08, 04:02 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

ok, i have three answers for this.
MY answer is that the first autograph i got in person was rollie
fingers. it was an old timers baseball game before spring training
when i was in high school...there were old timers and current players
playing...i got him on one of my dad's baseball cards, and he got him
too. Rollie was really, really nice, but i didn't know any better and
got him in ballpoint pen...later, when i got dennis eckersley, he
hollered to see if anyone had a sharpie and i finally knew what to get
my cards signed in (i actually collected cards then)..

now, to the stories i've been told...the first one was the one i
remember...
#2) when i was a kid, the guy who owned my dad's trucking company was
named rod deadeaux (i think that's how it's spelled)..anyway, he
coached the USC baseball team. my dad was the only one at the company
who had little kids so mr. dedeaux let us be bat boys when the team
played asu. it was cute, me and my little brother came in with out
little league jerseys and played catch with the players and everything
and sat at the game.
well, mark mcgwire, randy johnson and jack del rio were all on that
team those years...jack was the only one i really remember..but my
parents still have the photos with mark mcgwire and i still have all
the baseballs with the signatures of all the players on the team
(randy johnson was like a freshman then all i remember was him being
the tallest person i had ever seen.) we got them to sign our gloves
too, but i obviously played with my glove, so the autographs wore off
over time..

story #3) which i don't believe except my mom has the pictures to
prove it. i was like a baby so there's no way i can possibly remember
it...but apparently my mom worked in an lawyer's office and i went to
work with her one day and elvis presley came in hollering at his
lawyer for some reason or another...but i guess, since i was a baby,
he warmed up to me and my mom snapped a picture...she doesn't have an
autograph or anything like that..but that's the story i'm told and the
picture hangs in my parent's house in the hallway, and has for as long
as i can remember....story goes that he died a few years later and my
parents took me to the church to have the priest explain death to me
because i was crying all the time about it....at that time, i didn't
know or had ever met anyone who had died...like i said though, if it
weren't for the picture, i don't believe it to be true.

i guess the last 2 stories tell you my age PRECISELY...so i bet you
can guess my age from that...sorry there was 3 stories, but like i
said...there's MY story, the one i remember, and the ones i've been
shown pictures of that i don't remember that well (or not at all, i
don't remember mcgwire that year at all, like i said, i remember del
rio.)
mike

Old February 17th 08, 11:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

The first celeb I met was in the early 80's back in australia. I was
living in sydney and about 12-13 years old and met footballers Brett
Kenny and Ray Price and Peter Wynn. Since then I have met many more
celebs in Australia. The 2-3 I enjoyed the most was chatting with the
Late great Barrye Sheene awesome guy and racing legend Sir Jack
Brabham.

I have worked Security for many other groups/singers etc.

Happy Collecting

Mick
Old February 17th 08, 04:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

My first meeting of a celeb as I recall was back in the 70's; there
were a few... one at a local grocery store (like a 7-11 called "Little
General" was a Red Sox player very famous at the time - forgot now who
it was but my brother had gotten an autograph). Then, at a car show,
Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) and Nick Nolte (at the time a promotion of
"Rich Man, Poor Man"). I didn't get autographs and was sour (didn't
want to be there; was dragged) but my sister and brother got photos
taken with them.

My first REAL big in person celeb was just a few years ago and I
posted it here on the board. Jerry Seinfeld. Before that i had
gotten a couple local author autographs. My VERY first autographs
by mail were Jeremy Bulloch and James Earl Jones but the very first
autograph ever was given to me when we got married (I never told this
because it's not a big thing and because I just remembered it). It
was an autograph of an author of a cookbook, someone my dad knew and
it was a wedding gift from her (I never met her though- her name was
Pat Gratton). I still have that book I think.

I think if you start off getting over your fear of asking for an
autograph by getting someone like Seinfeld, then the scariesness goes
away sort of. After that, I had no problems asking for sigs . . .
sometimes I get a little nervous still, but I get over it.

SURVEY TIME! pe2[_5_] Autographs 4 October 7th 07 07:56 PM
Survey Time: Do you have any of your collection at work? pe2 Autographs 11 May 3rd 06 01:32 AM
SURVEY TIME: Best Penmanship In Your Collection? pe2 Autographs 1 February 24th 06 06:09 AM
SURVEY TIME: Would you take collection? pe2 Autographs 21 September 13th 05 12:56 PM
Survey Time: Ever lost an autograph? pe2 Autographs 14 June 13th 04 03:50 AM