Beckham on the Tenner?

Old August 2nd 03, 10:45 AM
Darren

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:57:19 +0100, Ian
wrote:

Darren wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:00:15 +0100, Ian
wrote:

What's up Doc?

Isn't Darren a derivative of Darien...a rather ill fated South American
colony of scots, scuppered deliberately by those dastardly (bad) empire
builders from south of the great divide (which I would say is probably
Newcastle these days in political terms) :-)

You got me there... being a Turnbull from Newcastle...

Mind you I see Robert the Bruce of the Scottish notes... not sure how
well putting the Duke of Cumberland on an English fiver would go
down... But when you're English its not meant to be a problem right?

Now, that would all depend upon which Duke of Cumberland you are talking
about of course.

The one referred to on the famous `Cumberland Jacks' (aka `To Hanover'
tokens) might raise a chuckle on both sides of the border. We do
sometimes have similar sentiments to our English brothers. Methinks that
the current monarchy might take great exception to any Duke of
Cumberland appearing on any legal tender bank note no matter which part
of the realm it is issued.

You might be right but you know the point I was (badly) trying to
make...
Old August 2nd 03, 11:42 AM
Ian

Darren wrote:

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:50:40 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

I have to say this, I get this plug in every once in a while, hopefully soon
the only British will be those confined in England, as Scotland will be self
determinate and free.

But this'll mean the Scots will need to agree first - It'll take
another couple of hundred years for that to happen. Nice idea
though... you think they'll issue some new currency?

Personally I can't see it ever happening at all. There are more Scots
and of Scots descent in England than there are in Scotland. It is all
part of our longer term plot to over run them by outbreeding.

How about:

£50 - Mel Gibson
£100 - Sean Connery
£200 - Dave Parrish
£500 - Billy Connolly
£1000 - Donald Dewar

Thanks
Darren

Given that The Cldesdale bank is owned by an Australian bnaking group, i
am surprised that we don't already have a `Meller' (or at least some
bounding marsupial as a watermark).

Sean Connery is much better `liked' overseas than he is in Scotland.
That he lives overseas is perhaps for the best. Let the country which
hosts him put him on their banknotes I say.

Now as for Dave. Having already attained prominence in The Sunday Post
he is well on the way to having his fizzog appear on a note. Whether it
be a banknote or other remains to be seen for the moment.

Billy Connelly?......as much chance of that as John Pertwee appearing on
a BofE note wearing his Wurzel Gummidge head.

Donald Duck maybe.....? ....but that ranks up there alongside the
probabilities of Beckham appearing on any bona fide banknote.

Ian

Old August 2nd 03, 01:02 PM
Scottishmoney

Ian wrote in message news:bgg4j9$o51at$1@ID-
Personally I can't see it ever happening at all. There are more Scots
and of Scots descent in England than there are in Scotland. It is all
part of our longer term plot to over run them by outbreeding.

Gees all the Scots need to do is enlist the support of their brethren in
Cornwall, the Isle of Wight, Northhumberland, etc. and England will have
been devided and conquered.

How about:

£50 - Mel Gibson
£100 - Sean Connery
£200 - Dave Parrish
£500 - Billy Connolly
£1000 - Donald Dewar

Thanks
Darren

Given that The Cldesdale bank is owned by an Australian bnaking group, i
am surprised that we don't already have a `Meller' (or at least some
bounding marsupial as a watermark).

They could have put Paul Hogan on their notes, but then you probably don't
know him as the Aussie holiday chap.

Sean Connery is much better `liked' overseas than he is in Scotland.
That he lives overseas is perhaps for the best. Let the country which
hosts him put him on their banknotes I say.

You mean Captain Ranius, Soviet Navy? At least he was a good defective
communard in the Hunt for Red October.

Now as for Dave. Having already attained prominence in The Sunday Post
he is well on the way to having his fizzog appear on a note. Whether it
be a banknote or other remains to be seen for the moment.

Everybody forgets that Dave chatted on the Fred MacCauley hour with Fred
himself yackin 'bout Scottish banknotes. Only person I knew who listened
was one of my cousins. Must be reflective of the quality of that show aye?
I am more famous in Scawttyland than my own Duchy of Eireann, which BTW has
it's own banknotes designed by me.

Billy Connelly?......as much chance of that as John Pertwee appearing on
a BofE note wearing his Wurzel Gummidge head.

Note.boy would be a far better choice for this note, he got me really
started in this sick pursuit of all banknotes Scottish. The "BabeMagnet"
could be featured on the reverse of this note.

Donald Duck maybe.....? ....but that ranks up there alongside the
probabilities of Beckham appearing on any bona fide banknote.

Ian

Now the subject goes back to English notes, I think Posh Spice of the Spicey
Girls would be suitable on the behind side of HRH QE the II.

BTW Ian, seen any UFO's lately?

Dave

Old August 2nd 03, 01:41 PM
Ian

Scottishmoney wrote:
Ian wrote in message news:bgg4j9$o51at$1@ID-

Personally I can't see it ever happening at all. There are more Scots
and of Scots descent in England than there are in Scotland. It is all
part of our longer term plot to over run them by outbreeding.

Gees all the Scots need to do is enlist the support of their brethren in
Cornwall, the Isle of Wight, Northhumberland, etc. and England will have
been devided and conquered.

It already is. We just haven't announced it yet. The stockpile of
Scottish and Newcastle's Newcastle Brown ale (aka `nookie broon') is not
yet big enough to cater for the festivities that will inevitably ensue.

Magna Jocklandiae now includes major portions of Canada, New Zealand,
USA, Australia,.... as well as Newcastle, Corby,.... oh yes....and Kings
Cross station, London :-) .

wey ey The Toons!! :-)

How about:

£50 - Mel Gibson
£100 - Sean Connery
£200 - Dave Parrish
£500 - Billy Connolly
£1000 - Donald Dewar

Thanks
Darren

Given that The Cldesdale bank is owned by an Australian bnaking group, i
am surprised that we don't already have a `Meller' (or at least some
bounding marsupial as a watermark).

They could have put Paul Hogan on their notes, but then you probably don't
know him as the Aussie holiday chap.

He's named after my home town in his movies.

Sean Connery is much better `liked' overseas than he is in Scotland.
That he lives overseas is perhaps for the best. Let the country which
hosts him put him on their banknotes I say.

You mean Captain Ranius, Soviet Navy? At least he was a good defective
communard in the Hunt for Red October.

A Russian who still can't pronounce his `s' correctly.

Now as for Dave. Having already attained prominence in The Sunday Post
he is well on the way to having his fizzog appear on a note. Whether it
be a banknote or other remains to be seen for the moment.

Everybody forgets that Dave chatted on the Fred MacCauley hour with Fred
himself yackin 'bout Scottish banknotes. Only person I knew who listened
was one of my cousins. Must be reflective of the quality of that show aye?
I am more famous in Scawttyland than my own Duchy of Eireann, which BTW has
it's own banknotes designed by me.

Fred who?

Billy Connelly?......as much chance of that as John Pertwee appearing on
a BofE note wearing his Wurzel Gummidge head.

Note.boy would be a far better choice for this note, he got me really
started in this sick pursuit of all banknotes Scottish. The "BabeMagnet"
could be featured on the reverse of this note.

You need to get involved in something much more wholesome.....coins. :-)

Donald Duck maybe.....? ....but that ranks up there alongside the
probabilities of Beckham appearing on any bona fide banknote.

Ian

Now the subject goes back to English notes, I think Posh Spice of the Spicey
Girls would be suitable on the behind side of HRH QE the II.

You are really tempting fate there Dave. It is about the only thing I
can think of that would be worse than Beckham. No.....I lie. The image
of `ginger spice' wearing her union jack outfit just came to mind (hurl).

BTW Ian, seen any UFO's lately?

Dave

Not yet Dave. Those carrier pigeons aren't trained the way they used to
be. Mind you it all depends on whether they find a decent a tail wind or
not.

I do however have an effigy of a Martian on my windowsill........

Ian

Old August 2nd 03, 01:51 PM
JSTONE9352

Sean Connery is much better `liked' overseas than he is in Scotland.

We love James Bond in the US. One
cable network seems to have a James
Bond movie marathon every three months
or so.
Old August 2nd 03, 01:54 PM
note.boy

You are correct about clean shaven, bearded men are chosen deliberately
to make counterfeiting more difficult. Billy

Darren wrote:

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:58:27 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

See http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/current_clydesdale.htm

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/

Gees I could even find that on my own site, but I for a moment chose to
forget about it

Dave
In case you can't find it
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/scottish...e/cly5001.html

Of course it is obvious why Adam will never make it to the BoE notes.
Far to clean shaven.

Old August 2nd 03, 01:55 PM
Stephen Hands

wrote:

[...]

It is alleged that the game of football originated as a result of a
group of english soldiers (under the aegis of The Duke of Cumberland)
kicking the dismembered head of a Scotsman about the battlefield.

Personally, I think it was more likely that it was one of the poor dead
mans testicles.

Partly right, the English had to look for an alternative because the head

was too soft. It was an obvious choice as the scots only have one ball
(enlarged like a baboon's bum by sitting bare-arsed on thistles).

Old August 2nd 03, 04:23 PM
Darren

It is alleged that the game of football originated as a result of a
group of english soldiers (under the aegis of The Duke of Cumberland)
kicking the dismembered head of a Scotsman about the battlefield.

Personally, I think it was more likely that it was one of the poor dead
mans testicles.

I think you may have completed my research on the origins of the
Cumberland Sausage...

Old August 2nd 03, 04:43 PM
Ian

Stephen Hands wrote:

wrote:

[...]

....aaaaah! That explains it!! The head must have come from a total Berk!
Of course you already know that there were a good few Berks fighting for
the Scots too. It wasn't all down to the tartan army and a few heidrum
hodrum's, although history would apparently like to have us believe it
was a pure Scots vs the English thing for some reason.

It was an obvious choice as the scots only have one ball
(enlarged like a baboon's bum by sitting bare-arsed on thistles).

....and you were only allowed to do that on duly authorised tea breaks too!

Typical though, you fail to see the full picture. It was not only the
testes that were so affected.......

Whilst `sitting on thistles' may well have been the origins of why our
southern neighbours appear to be severely genitalially challenged in
comparison to the Scots, such origins have long since found their way
into the genetic coding. No need for us to be sitting on thistles these
days..

(Pssst...all those spam emails about how to to enlarge your
privates.....`thistle' is the active ingredient.) :-)

PS: Strangely enough the only `Nobby' Hall I know is in fact English. ;-)

Ian

Old August 2nd 03, 04:50 PM
Scottishmoney

Ian wrote in message news:bggbi2$ns15l$1@ID-

You need to get involved in something much more wholesome.....coins. :-)

All I will say to that is rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiibbbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt
as in Froggy. So ante up an send me the Ryal, 'tas nae connection with
froggyland.

Donald Duck maybe.....? ....but that ranks up there alongside the
probabilities of Beckham appearing on any bona fide banknote.

Ian

Now the subject goes back to English notes, I think Posh Spice of the

Spicey
Girls would be suitable on the behind side of HRH QE the II.

You are really tempting fate there Dave. It is about the only thing I
can think of that would be worse than Beckham. No.....I lie. The image
of `ginger spice' wearing her union jack outfit just came to mind (hurl).

Sad to think the country that gave us the Beatles, Led Zeppelin etc
defecated out the Spice Girls. However as a cultural icon they should be on
the back of the fiver, with the Onion Jack.

Dave
"Big Country"