8th century coin says British king was Muslim?

Old June 19th 05, 04:37 PM
stonej

Default 8th century coin says British king was Muslim?

I don't think so but this makes for some interesting reading.

http://egyptelection.com/modules.php...ticle&sid=1465

Old June 19th 05, 08:34 PM
Byron L. Reed

On 19 Jun 2005 08:37:17 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

I don't think so but this makes for some interesting reading.

http://egyptelection.com/modules.php...ticle&sid=1465

I think that your subject line assumes a little too much. The
following is not particularly controversial or refutable: "Some say he
may have become a Muslim. Others say he needed these coins to trade
with Muslim countries."

I must admit that I'm not exactly sure what the author's point was.
This is a very famous coin that has been known and speculated about
for some time; certainly nothing that is particularly newsworthy.

Personally, my causality vote goes to the trading option, followed
closely by the option not related in the article: that the coin was
produced for some special purpose other than money. Maybe it was the
"King of Siam" set of its day, or part of "Peter's Pence."

Other conjecture is that a muslim die cutter somehow made it into
Offa's mint and made the same old designs he was familiar with,
substituting Offa's name. Then there is the one about the illiterate
die sinker who just copied the letters on a coin, not knowing it
wasn't the right alphabet, making some errors and putting Offa's name
upside down.

There's a lot on the internet about this coin.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...FFA+gold+allah

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com
Old June 20th 05, 10:55 AM
stonej

This is a very famous coin that has been known and speculated about
for some time; certainly nothing that is particularly newsworthy.

Well, I never heard of if before so it
was of interest to me.

I think the author was trying to show
the influence of Islam in an area of the
world at a time when it would probably
not be expected.