Numismatist on whizzing

Old December 21st 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Default Numismatist on whizzing

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

What I just can't understand is if whizzing removes metal, why is the
weight of whizzed coins the same as unaltered coins of the same type.
Maybe this has something to do with quantum physics and the uncertainty
principle, or perhaps superstring theory and brane cosmology.

I think I figured this out, though I'm still thinking through this, so
I'm open to suggestions and corrections. The reason whizzing removes
metal, despite whizzed coins being the same weight as unaltered coins,
is the same reason that metal on whizzed coins under magnification
appears pushed up against devices, legends, and rims. It's not that
metal is moved, not removed. That's too logical, too commonsensible.
That's what you might think in the everyday Newtonian/Einsteinian
four-dimensional universe of length, width, height, and time. But brane
cosmology, which is about the hottest thing going besides Jessica Alba,
holds that there are actually 11 dimensions.

These other dimensions are ultra-compact, so we can't see them. But, if
we look carefully, we can notice their effects. Most brane cosmologists
used to think that there were 10 dimensions. I believe that that extra
weight and the pushed-metal of whizzed coins proves that there must in
fact be an 11th dimension. I believe that it's the collision of unseen
branes that not only led to the creation of our current universe but
also the unexplained weight and pushed-up metal anomalies that "Jeff R."
in his famous whizzed experiment of the mid-2000s couldn't previously
account for.

So this is the real science behind this. I previously got wrong the way
that metal moves, thinking it was heat and pressure rather than pressure
alone that moves metal up against devices, legends, and rims. Now I see
that metal is actually removed as "Jeff R." says and then redeposited
through the 11th dimension.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old December 21st 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Dec 21, 11:26*am, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

I am not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV. However, it seems to
me that if the wire brush was to be examined after 'whizzing' a coin,
or anything else, there would be traces of the object being 'whizzed'
in the brushes. With precious metals, it seems that it would be
worthwhile to retrieve them from the brushes, if economically viable.
Old December 21st 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Reid Goldsborough wrote:

[...]

Well, for the first time you did not condescendingly impugn Jeff as some
disembodied "whiz", so to my eyes and in that sense, you have made progress,
Mr. G.

James

Old December 21st 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

I am not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV. However, it seems to
me that if the wire brush was to be examined after 'whizzing' a coin,
or anything else, there would be traces of the object being 'whizzed'
in the brushes. With precious metals, it seems that it would be
worthwhile to retrieve them from the brushes, if economically viable.

One might postulate a cloud made up of microscopic chunks of both "whizzee"
and "whizzor" material forming around the point of impact. If such cloud
does actually exist, its presence (and the reduction in mass of both whizzee
and whizzor agents) is detectable, given the proper instrumentation and
procedures. Has this ever been done under rigorous laboratory conditions
with all other variables controlled?

James the Whizzer

Old December 22nd 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote:

I am not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV. However, it seems

me that if the wire brush was to be examined after 'whizzing' a coin,
or anything else, there would be traces of the object being 'whizzed'
in the brushes. With precious metals, it seems that it would be
worthwhile to retrieve them from the brushes, if economically viable.

Back when b&w film was still used extensively, you could buy kits to
recover the silver that is washed out from developing the negatives
(and IIRC maybe the printing paper). It was barely profitable for
home darkrooms but it was used by many large photo labs.

Recovering whizzed PMs as described here would be more difficult
because unlike liquid silver salts, it's only in the form of thin
solid gold or silver films deposited on hundreds of thin metal
whiskers. Some if not most of it is firmly bonded to the bristles
after friction heated a thin layer of the coin's surface atoms which
then cooled on the brush surfaces. The PM can be harvested, but the
process may be expensive and the amount transferred by one or two
coins probably would be trivial. A production line whizzing operation
doing hundreds of coins might make it somewhat profitable.

During the Alaska gold rush, unscrupulous assayers would apply a thin
coating of oil or syrup to their hands which they would frequently use
to brush their hair back or wipe on an apron. After work, a shampoo
or hand washing of the apron yielded a small but lucrative amount of
stolen flakes.

Old December 22nd 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

[...]

Are you suggesting that we have been a nation of criminals since, maybe, the
beginning?

James the Outlaw

Old December 22nd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote:

[...]

Yep. How else do you explain eBay?

Old December 22nd 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

mazorj wrote:
wrote:

[...]

More in terms of Lying SOS syndrome than actual criminality.

James the Prevaricator

Old December 22nd 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

mazorj wrote:

Are you suggesting that we have been a nation of criminals since,
maybe, the beginning?

James the Outlaw

Yep. How else do you explain eBay?

More in terms of Lying SOS syndrome than actual criminality.

James the Prevaricator

True, but when it comes to commerce, being a Lying SOS can rise to
fraud.

- mazorj the Sardonic

Numismatist on PVC Reid Goldsborough[_2_] Coins 30 December 4th 09 10:55 PM
Whizzing Reid Goldsborough Coins 185 October 7th 07 11:31 PM
Whizzing coins - new info A.Gent Coins 91 April 21st 04 09:32 PM
What is "whizzing"? - a little long, sorry A.Gent Coins 37 April 4th 04 07:36 PM
Seller Suggests "whizzing" "uncirculated" coin RLWinnetka Coins 13 March 29th 04 01:47 AM