Where can I buy just one new stamp?

Old February 22nd 04, 05:16 AM
Ant Page

Default Where can I buy just one new stamp?

I would like to purchase a couple of stamps that the post office has out
for my collection, they are "Acadia National Park" and "Nine Mile Prairie"
but my post office only sells them in panes of 20 for 12 and 14 dollars, I
was wondering if there was a way to buy just one of these stamps instead
of the whole pane and get them cheaper. And not only for those stamps but
any other new stamps the postal service releases that I want. I searched
Ebay but I can only find FDC's and Plate Blocks.

Thanks

Old February 22nd 04, 11:38 AM
kevin

I would go back to the post office ask them for one of each... if you cant
get them, ask to see the post master... no satisfaction there write the usps
next level up... I don't think they cannot sell you one of each... selling
stamps is the biz they are in... refusing money and not servicing customers
would not go over very good at head office... kk

"Ant Page" wrote in message
. 125.202...
I would like to purchase a couple of stamps that the post office has out
for my collection, they are "Acadia National Park" and "Nine Mile Prairie"
but my post office only sells them in panes of 20 for 12 and 14 dollars, I
was wondering if there was a way to buy just one of these stamps instead
of the whole pane and get them cheaper. And not only for those stamps but
any other new stamps the postal service releases that I want. I searched
Ebay but I can only find FDC's and Plate Blocks.

Thanks

---

Old February 22nd 04, 01:08 PM
AK47

A.E. Gelat wrote:
Buy the pane, select the one you want, and use the rest for postage.

Seventy cent stamps would be a little hard to use up, unless you are
sending a lot of postcards to countries OT the US, Canada, and Mexico.

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old February 22nd 04, 01:31 PM
JR9er

There is a catalog issued from the postal service that offers all the latest
stamps and products. You can order a block of 4 up to a full sheet. shipping &
handling is only $1.
No web address tho, the postal service still runs on a 1950's model I guess.

USA Philatelic Catalog
Request a free catalog by writing to:
INFORMATION FULFILLMENT,
DEPT 6270,
US POSTAL SERVICE,
PO BOX 419014,
KANSAS CITY MO 64141-6014

Or by calling 1 800 STAMP-24.
-Jami
Old February 22nd 04, 07:02 PM
Grandpa

Providing you're after US Stamps, many cities have a Philatelic Center
where stamp collectors and others can do exactly that. Contact your
local post office and ask them where the nearest Philatelic Center to
you is located.

Short of that, the response from JR9er is probably your next best bet,
unless you can do it over the Internet from the USPS site,perhaps from
the USPS stamp store.

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...UseBVCookie=no

Another possibility is asking someone who has a Philatelic Center close
by to purchase them for you and you'll reimburse them for the stamps and
postage.

Old February 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
Lefty

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Ant Page wrote:
]Subject: Where can I buy just one new stamp?
]
]I would like to purchase a couple of stamps that the post office has out
]for my collection, they are "Acadia National Park" and "Nine Mile Prairie"
]but my post office only sells them in panes of 20 for 12 and 14 dollars, I
]was wondering if there was a way to buy just one of these stamps
]Thanks

Try this philatelic desk in Oneco CT (US Post Office) I've been able to get
'just plate blocks' of "currently for sale" stamps that aren't ATM booklets.
(Sheets of 20 will have a plate-block removed, sold as 4 stamps)

CT Mail order and Internet
Philatelic center
1104 Plainfield Pike
Oneco CT 06373-9998

This office is run by Maurice Bessett, who has done a yeoman's job
for years.
No $1 'service fee' such as via KC MO's 'Caves' & they pay the return
postage too. Well packaged, as they know how the mail really gets handled.

They have an e-mail address, but not a web page. That I know of...

For a long time, this office was allowed to sell surplus .32c, .33c, & .34c
stamps, at face value, AFTER they had been removed from general sale.

Good luck, Lefty

Old February 22nd 04, 11:52 PM
Dave Kent

I'll second the praise for Maurice in Oneco, Conn. Give him a try. A while ago
the Hartford sectional center tried to close him down, and we collectors in the
state raised a holy ruckus until they let him loose again. He does many local
shows, often well away from his small town in the eastern part of the state,
and collectors swarm to his table. Who else would let you look through a roll
of 10,000 coil stamps looking for a particular plate number?
Old February 23rd 04, 03:30 AM
JR9er

Short of that, the response from JR9er is probably your next best bet,
unless you can do it over the Internet from the USPS site,perhaps from
the USPS stamp store.

Unless the USPS 'store' has changed policies, you still are only able to get,
at minimum, panes of 20 or coils of 100 or some such. Doesn't make sense to me
why the USPS mail order catalog is run so differently from the USPS store.
They're the same stamps.

There ARE link to all the various Philatelic Centers across the country on
thier 'Resources' page:
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...mer_care/conte
ntUpload.jsp?location=/html/resources.html BUT, ironically enough, no mention
of the mail order catalog.

The Philatelic store doesn't even have a web presence - to the best of my
knowledge. I only know about it since I work for the postal service. In my
view, the postal service don't care too much about collectors.

I'm a mailman so I know first hand the questionable way things are done there.
We may be seperate from the government but we're still run the same way. Just
my 2 cents.
-JR
Old February 23rd 04, 04:30 AM
Grandpa

I wonder if he could get them from the Edmonton Stamp Show?
Humor intended................... 8*)