A new way to view a Pan-Pac commemorative half dollar

Old December 10th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

Default A new way to view a Pan-Pac commemorative half dollar

I clicked this link to view an email offering from Mark Feld;

http://markfeldcoins.com/client/2009..._panpac631.jpg

I had to scroll the page horizontally to put the reverse in full view.
Centering the reverse, my first thought was..., well, open this link in a
second window;

http://www.stinalisa.com/HokeyPokey.html

then quickly go back to the first window and.... It's probably just me but
the two web pages seemed to go together nicely. Anyway, if nothing else
enjoy the Panama Pacific commemorative half dollar.

Bill

Old December 10th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bill Krummel wrote:
I clicked this link to view an email offering from Mark Feld;

http://markfeldcoins.com/client/2009..._panpac631.jpg

I had to scroll the page horizontally to put the reverse in full view.
Centering the reverse, my first thought was..., well, open this link
in a second window;

http://www.stinalisa.com/HokeyPokey.html

then quickly go back to the first window and.... It's probably just
me but the two web pages seemed to go together nicely. Anyway, if
nothing else enjoy the Panama Pacific commemorative half dollar.

That's a beautiful coin, no doubt about it, and one of the few with original
surfaces that I've seen. And I can't help imagining how Amistad would be
chuckling over that view of the eagle's feet.

James the Hokey

Old December 10th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

On Dec 10, 12:04*pm, "Bill Krummel" wrote:
I clicked this link to view an email offering from Mark Feld;

http://markfeldcoins.com/client/2009..._panpac631.jpg

I had to scroll the page horizontally to put the reverse in full view.
Centering the reverse, my first thought was..., well, open this link in a
second window;

http://www.stinalisa.com/HokeyPokey.html

then quickly go back to the first window and.... *It's probably just me but
the two web pages seemed to go together nicely. *Anyway, if nothing else
enjoy the Panama Pacific commemorative half *dollar.

Bill

Bill, you are going to get me in trouble having me open that second
link at work. Fortunately my sound was turned low and no one else was
in the room at the time.

Beautiful half from a great dealer. Unfortunately I couldn't find it
in his current listing so I suppose it has sold.
Old December 11th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

It is a new purchase (actually, I believe he said it is on consignment) that
he has made and I have often lost out because I open my email too late and
find out the coin has already sold by the time I email to say I am taking
it. In fact, most of the time he replies and says I am third, fourth or
fifth to request the coin and it's mine if the others fall out. The coin
may still be in his inventory, unclaimed, or it may have sold within minutes
of his email offerings update.

Anyway, the Pan-Pac is still out of my range, price-wise. The coin shown in
the link is a PCGS MS66 and the asking price was $3,500. I am speculating
with spousal gold uncs, hoping that there is some similarity with the Jackie
Robinson gold that did so well with a 5,000 mintage. I do not anticipate a
10x increase in value for the spousal gold but I do hope that if the economy
does rebound in a few years ( in my mind a big if), the market will drive
the lowest mintage spousal gold to double or 150% increases. The bottom
side will be gold melt plus a small premium, so downside risk is not so bad.
Should my speculation pay off even in a small way, I would use the profits
to get a Pan-Pac, Hawaiian, Hudson or one of several other of the more
expensive commems.

The interesting thing about spousal gold is I have only seen one dealer
advertise any of that series and it was an offer to sell one of the first
releases that had sold out mintages. The dealer's ad ran for 2 weeks then
disappeared. It is like there is no secondary market at all for spousal
gold, other than eBay. Most of eBay's auctions are for early, higher
mintage releases or for certified coins of the later releases, at least the
last time I checked a few months ago. My senses say either no real
collector demand for this series or gold's high price and the poor economy
have severely dampened the collectibility of the series and a rebounded
economy will ignite collector demand (the fact that the first two releases
sold out at 5x the mintages of the later releases may be support for the
idea of a potential demand).

Bill

Bill

Old December 11th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

Bill Krummel wrote:
I clicked this link to view an email offering from Mark Feld;

http://markfeldcoins.com/client/2009..._panpac631.jpg

I had to scroll the page horizontally to put the reverse in full view.
Centering the reverse, my first thought was..., well, open this link
in a second window;

http://www.stinalisa.com/HokeyPokey.html

then quickly go back to the first window and.... It's probably just
me but the two web pages seemed to go together nicely. Anyway, if
nothing else enjoy the Panama Pacific commemorative half dollar.

That's a beautiful coin, no doubt about it, and one of the few with
original surfaces that I've seen. And I can't help imagining how Amistad
would be chuckling over that view of the eagle's feet.

James the Hokey

If I could afford the $3500 price tag for the pictured Pan-Pac (PCGS MS66),
I would have happily added it to my collection. I maintain there is only
one legitimate way to view the eagle's feet, my view. That bird is
obviously doing the hokey-pokey. 8)

Bill

Old December 22nd 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

On Dec 17, 2:30*pm, "Bill Krummel" wrote:
I thought I had made the Delaware cloud comment too but searching Google
showed me that you introduced the gaseous baby concept to me, although I get
credit for the new way to think of Oregons and Stone Mountains;

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...25596fbab03f19

And no, I am not so proud of those posts. *I have matured since then.

I guess I read about the Delaware somewhere else. I had also
forgotten your comments about the Oregon and Stone Mountain. I guess
that was for the best and it did not factor into my putting the commem
collection aside.

It's good to know that someone can still continue to mature later in
life. Maybe there is still hope for me.

I still have my NGC registry set of classic commems but I keep
slipping in the ranks. I still like the coins but I got discouraged
by the stagnate to falling prices while seeing stacks of them in
display cases at every dealers table. It's certainly no worse than
Morgans but I don't collect them at all.