Ebay Description of the Day

Old July 3rd 03, 01:56 AM

Default Ebay Description of the Day

One thing that I find amusing in eBay descriptions is the seller who
posts a picture upside down to dramatise,I suppose, the fact that it has
an inverted watermark.
..
A couple of tiems I have sent the seller a letter suggesting that if the
stamp were displayed right side up, the watermark fault might be
mitigated.
..
Some sellers do not think that is very funny.
..
Charlie Jensen

Live right,
Eat right,
Exercise ... ... ... Die anyway !

Old July 3rd 03, 04:22 PM
Tony Cooper

.
A couple of tiems I have sent the seller a letter suggesting that if the
stamp were displayed right side up, the watermark fault might be
mitigated.
.

I sold a forgery. I didn't realize it was a forgery until after the
sale, though. It was an election pin for William Howard Taft and not
a stamp. It was in some stuff, and I just scanned and listed it for
with an opening of $1.00. It sold for $21.00.

Just after the auction closed I received an email from some guy that
informed me this was a fake done in the 50s. Evidently, there's a
whole group of reproduction election pins and people who collect them.
The term is "brummagen" for the fake pins.

I thought it was a joke email. After all, who would fake a pin for a
President that was more known for his girth than anything else? I
checked it out, though, and found the tipster was correct. At any
rate, I forwarded the email to the Buyer and told him I'd refund the
money. He took it, but gave me a nice feedback.

I wrote the tipster back, thanked him, and said "What's next? Fake
Millard Fillmore pins?" A week later he sent me a link of an auction
in progress for a fake Millard Fillmore pin.

--
Tony Cooper aka:

Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s
Old July 3rd 03, 05:44 PM
Tracy Barber

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:31:29 -0400, TC wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:56:43 -0400 (EDT), wrote:

One thing that I find amusing in eBay descriptions is the seller who
posts a picture upside down to dramatise,I suppose, the fact that it has
an inverted watermark.
.
A couple of tiems I have sent the seller a letter suggesting that if the
stamp were displayed right side up, the watermark fault might be
mitigated.
.
Some sellers do not think that is very funny.
.
Charlie Jensen

Live right,
Eat right,
Exercise ... ... ... Die anyway !

Charlie:

Some sellers (and even a few buyers) don't have a sense of humour.

Like the guy who listed an item, and I was kind enough to advise him
that it was an obvious forgery [and explained how to tell it was].

He neither cancelled the auction nor altered the item description.

It stinks when you get a non-responsive seller.

I was just given a critique by a prospective bidder about the size of
my older graphics (since then, always reduced) and the speed of
looking at them with a slower modem.

I reduced them to 75% and reposted them. Not a big deal. Cut down
the size about 40 - 50% and this is the lowest I will go so someone
can see them "quicker". Hey, I want to make a sale, right?

When you have a wingnut out there trying to pass off a known forgery,
there's absolutely no way to tell the prospective bidders of said
action. (Some unscrupulous, dejected buyers may try to sabotage an
auction by saying it's a forgery when it's not.)

The only recourse, and as piddly as it is, is to send eBay a message
about it and sit with baited breath for 20 years to received a
non-reply. They don't get into squabbles about this.

EXCEPT! When some mental midget cries foul to eBay about
"questionable" material and that gets yanked of the auction shelf -
EVEN THOUGH there are other items out there like that. (Case in point
- 3rd Reich postal history.)

eBay is a catch as catch can arena without total fair rule playing on
all sides - cutthroat would be a better word sometimes.

This is only a small % of the activity going on out there, but it does
happen.

Shame on that dealer!

Tracy Barber
Old July 3rd 03, 05:49 PM
Tracy Barber

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:22:29 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

hehehehehehe... Although you were out $21 - money that wasn't yours
anyway - you learned something about the trade. In this case, the $1
bid was a good opener though!

We can't be credited with knowing everything about what we sell. We
look it over, use our catalogs, maybe ask an opinion, maybe even get
it certified - that's all we can do.

When someone, who knows a wee bit more than us comes along, I'd
welcome it to learn more about the trade I'm in. Eventually it'll
save me time buying up forged items.

I'm glad he gave you a good feedback. Some people can be really crass
and act like true ______.

I'm in the middle of 2 missing lots. I'll be giving back the $ on 1
and the other I'm waiting a few more days on, because it's overseas.
Hey - the cost of doing business...

Tracy Barber
Old July 4th 03, 11:47 AM
Douglas MYALL

Tony Cooper wrote in article

[...]

Brummagen is the name that natives give to Birmingham, England. This city
is well known for it multifarious metal trades, making nails, chains,
tinware, etc. etc. as well as motor cars. I wonder if the term used in
Tony's message has anything to do with this? And does it apply only to
fake pins? If so, what is the term for genuine pins?

Douglas

Old July 4th 03, 04:07 PM
Tony Cooper

On 04 Jul 2003 10:47:28 GMT, "Douglas MYALL"
wrote:

Brummagen is the name that natives give to Birmingham, England. This city
is well known for it multifarious metal trades, making nails, chains,
tinware, etc. etc. as well as motor cars. I wonder if the term used in
Tony's message has anything to do with this? And does it apply only to
fake pins? If so, what is the term for genuine pins?

One of the dictionary definitions of "brummagem" is a counterfeit, a
sham, or worthless thing. The word origin is Birmingham, England and
the reason is that Birmingham was known as a source of counterfeit
groats in the 17th century. It's a legitimate word.

Any counterfeit item could be called a brummagem. It's just that
American Political Items Collectors group (APIC) has kind of adopted
the word since fakes are such a large segment of the pin market.

Most of these "fakes" by the way, were not made to be passed off as
real items for monetary gain like counterfeit money. They were
printed as promotions, give-aways and spoofs.

By the way, the spelling is "brummagem". I used an "n" in my post,
but it was an error.

Old July 4th 03, 06:19 PM
Bob Harper

O.K. Folks, I will have you know that I am a product of Brummagem, I was
produced some 60 years ago and I can testify that I am NOT A FAKE, nor a
counterfeit, nor a groat for that matter!
We natives of Birmingham, England call ourselves "Brummies" being taken
from the name Brummagem. I am a Brummie - I am also a philatelist (Just to
keep this a bit on topic).
Bob Harper

Old July 4th 03, 10:49 PM
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:19:07 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Harper"
wrote:

O.K. Folks, I will have you know that I am a product of Brummagem, I was
produced some 60 years ago and I can testify that I am NOT A FAKE, nor a
counterfeit, nor a groat for that matter!
We natives of Birmingham, England call ourselves "Brummies" being taken
from the name Brummagem. I am a Brummie - I am also a philatelist (Just to
keep this a bit on topic).
Bob Harper

It - brummagem - also means showy, flashy, and fake looking, so since
you didn't deny any of these meanings can we take it you wear loud,
checked waistcoats and a toupee?

.. .

Old July 10th 03, 05:56 PM
Gerrit Groshart

"Tracy Barber" schreef in bericht
wrote:

[...]

you must be a gentleman to do that. You must never buy something from
Discount Topicals through Ebay. You will never hear something from this guy
when the stamps don't arrive. It is just trade and collect as much dollars
as possible.
But 99,9% of the sellers are correct in their trade. They also give alway's
feedback, the same is done by the buyer.
When you should collect and buy miniature "scale"cars it is different. Most
of the sellers don't give a feedback before the buyer has done.
With about 120 lots bought through Ebay and Yahoo my experience is good.
Gerrit Groshart