Help with CV on cover

Old February 10th 05, 03:47 AM
wolfb

Default Help with CV on cover

Dear friends, I only have an old Michel Specialized catalog (1986) and
wonder if someone would kindly look up a few catalog values for me. I just
got a collection of no consequence, but there were a few covers that may be
of some value included. I need the most current CV on cover for the
following:

Bundesrepublik Deutschland # 136 (70p orange)
Berlin # 105 (40p violet)
Berlin # 55 (80p black blue)
Soviet Zone Deutschland # 224 (50p violet blue)

I plan to put these up on eBay along with a few others and would like to
list them with a fairly recent CV included.

Thanks so much for your help.

Wolf-==-

Old February 10th 05, 06:50 AM
Jay T. Carrigan

The catalog value depends on whether the usage is single franking,
multiple franking (2 or more of the same stamp) or mixed franking
(different stamps). Furthermore, if the franking does not exactly
pay the rate, the value of the cover is reduced to not much more
than the value of the stamps.

I have the latest Michel cover catalog, so if you can provide
infomation on the franking I can give you the catalog values.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...

Old February 10th 05, 05:43 PM
wolfb

Thanks Jay!
I had no idea that the value depended on so much variation. I have no clue
what the proper rate was at that time and by looking at the covers it sure
seems that some may have been over franked. They were sent in the early
50's to Mucsatine, IA. I have included links to some scans I made and on
most of them you can see the date of the cancellation. On the back of each
is the return address. I really appreciate your time!
Best Regards.
Wolf-==-

http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/136.jpg
http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/105.jpg
http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/224.jpg
http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/55.jpg

Old February 10th 05, 08:35 PM
Jay T. Carrigan

The good noew is that all covers are franked at the proper rate.
The bad news is that all have various faults that greatly decrease
their market value.

136.jpg - Michel 136 EF, 23.12.53, docketed at 7 grams - 180 euros!
(70 Pf. rate for Zone 2 airmail, 6-10 grams, 1.7.53-30.6.54)

105.jpg - Berlin Mi. 53+105 MiF, 25.12.53 (Xmas!), 15 grams - 70 euros.
(90 Pf. air rate, 11-15 grams, 1.7.53-30.6.54)

224.jpg - SBZ Mi. 224 EF, 3.12.?? - 17 euros.
(50 Pf.surface rate, up to 20 grams, 15.9.47-30.6.52)

55.jpg (1st) - Berlin Mi. 56 EF, 15.1.53, 11 grams - 75 euros.
(90 Pf. air rate, 11-15 grams, 1.7.53-30.6.54)

55.jpg (2nd) - Berlin Mi. 55 EF, 24.10.54, 9(?) grams - 38euros
(80 Pf. air rate, 6-10 grams, 1.7.54-31.3.59)

Prices are from the Michel Briefe-Katalog Deutschland, 2004 edition.

Old February 10th 05, 10:07 PM
wolfb

Wow!!! Thanks again Jay!
I picked this up at a local auction (only stamp lot of a 10 hour sale) for
$10 last weekend. Buy the time I got done sorting it out, the lot included
3 large ziplocks full of modern US commems on and off cover, a perfect sheet
of the 5 cent Herbert Hoover, 5-8 cent pb's, two nice Scott albums barely
used (one 1951 national, one world, 1948), 30-40 France commems inc. a
400Franc airmail in the 50's, a Berlin Mi # 10 (used with crease) and about
20 of the covers I included for your help. I picked out the ones I thought
were the best CV. I ended up with maybe 10 stamps to place in my pre '41
collection and the rest go in my archives. I got 2 of the Mi # 136 (70pf)
covers and 6 of the Soviet zone # 224. I'm not sure how much interest
there will be for the covers on eBay, but they should pay for my entire days
expenses. All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
The Best, as alway and thanks again for your help.
Wolf-==- (eBay...wolfb, shameless plug)