The Devonshire Dialect

Old February 3rd 04, 08:12 AM
yipwon

Default The Devonshire Dialect

I'm a bit of a philistine when it come to poetry, but one book I enjoy is:
LETTERS & POEMS Tu Es Brither Jan In The Devonshire Dialect. By Nathan Hogg
1902.
Here is an excerpt:

Tha Cricket an tha Bittle
A cricket ha zot a pin tap a tha aith,
An ha hollerd za lowd as ha cud squayl, Wen a gurt black bittle a trapsin
aun,
Ha tuk an scammil'd pin tap uv ez tayl.
Now kiss'n thee zee ware thee bee'st a gwayn, Zed tha cricket, " you nasty
vulty thing;
Yu zartinly can't be za mort'l deeve,
Bit wat ! thit yu must hev a yerd ma zing. Tha bittle ha bust out intu a
laff
Wat ! dee cal that zingin ? aw, aw, zeth he! If thee bees't a zinger, no
kith uv mine,
Be tha black a ma cote shill zongsters be Tis nort bit a skritch, an wisser
nur that,Ef I wis to kick up zich awful rows
I'm zartin tha missus wid vurrit mer owt, An nat allow mer to bide in tha
howze.
Zes tha cricket yu hugly himprint twoad, Iv'ry nite tha missus, avaur tha
vi-er,
Zmile'th auver hur veace as hur yurs ma zing, An lafths as I toon'th up
hi-er an hi-er;
An as vur tha measter ha zmoak'th ez pipe,
An yu may zee be tha twink uv ez eye, Thit vur vury glee as ha puf'th an
blaw'th,
H'a widdn be happy zept I wur by. Tha bittle ha zed tha cricket wiz spared
Cuz ha jump'd away, an zed way skaurn,
Thit ez vur ez zul ha wiz lyk'd, a naw'd,
Vur a liv'd in tha howze iver zince ha wis baurn; Bezaides vury auff wen ha
vown et cole,
Ha'd ha'd stick'd eszul to tha missus's hoze-Hur'd car'd min up stairs, wen
auff'n ha'd got An zlayp'd way bathe awmin under tha close.

Does anyone know of any other books written in strange dialects?
Scott