Viking help please

Old December 9th 05, 11:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Viking help please

Hi, new boy here,

Could someone point me to somewhere I can interpret the publishers codes for
the UK branch of Viking.

Google has not been my friend.

I have picked up a copy of Satanic Verses and am not sure if it is a 1st 1st
or just a 1st. Not the worlds most valuable book I know but I would like to
find out.

TIA
Mike

Old December 9th 05, 03:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Yngvarion wrote:

Could someone point me to somewhere I can interpret the publishers codes for
the UK branch of Viking.

Google has not been my friend.

I have picked up a copy of Satanic Verses and am not sure if it is a 1st 1st
or just a 1st. Not the worlds most valuable book I know but I would like to
find out.

Copyright page of the 1st/1st states "First published 1988", and below
that the numberline 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

--Jon Meyers
Old December 9th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:
Yngvarion wrote:

Could someone point me to somewhere I can interpret the publishers
codes for
the UK branch of Viking.

Google has not been my friend.

I have picked up a copy of Satanic Verses and am not sure if it is a
1st 1st
or just a 1st. Not the worlds most valuable book I know but I would
like to
find out.

Copyright page of the 1st/1st states "First published 1988", and below
that the numberline 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

Whoops! I originally consulted my UP instead of the actual first; the
numberline in the latter is 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2.

--Jon Meyers
Old December 9th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers"
Whoops! I originally consulted my UP instead of the actual first; the
numberline in the latter is 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2.

Thanks for that Jon, I have a first/first.

Where can I get access to the numberline meanings if it's not a trade
secret? I don't even know if these numbers have a special name.

Mike

Old December 9th 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Yngvarion wrote:
"Jon Meyers"

Whoops! I originally consulted my UP instead of the actual first; the
numberline in the latter is 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2.

Thanks for that Jon, I have a first/first.

Where can I get access to the numberline meanings if it's not a trade
secret? I don't even know if these numbers have a special name.

No secret: In nearly every case, the lowest number in the line indicates
the printing number. But there are exceptions; here are some related
links to threads from this groups archive:

Random House: http://tinyurl.com/8ho7l
....and Random House Updated: http://tinyurl.com/92yv2
Harcourt, Brace (Jovanovich): http://tinyurl.com/bjg5q
Knopf: http://tinyurl.com/8293n

Also, consult the FAQ for RCB http://www.rcbfaq.com , for a list of
reference books to help ID firsts. Zempel & Verkler has the most
detailed info; McBride is small & handy for book sales.

--Jon Meyers

Old December 12th 05, 05:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

I was garage saling a few years ago and came across a stop with lots of
books -- a special treat was the 28th printing of Satanic Verses marked
"First Edition - $30.00"

Judy B

--
Judy Bausch