Dollar Coins in Normal Commerce

Old June 2nd 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
GFH

Default Dollar Coins in Normal Commerce

Are dollar coins being used in normal commerce? I have not seen even
one. My bank does not have any. The local post office has never seen
one. I live near Charlottesville, VA.

Does anyone know of a location where these coins are in common use?

GFH
Old June 2nd 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

GFH wrote:
Are dollar coins being used in normal commerce? I have not seen even
one. My bank does not have any. The local post office has never seen
one. I live near Charlottesville, VA.

Does anyone know of a location where these coins are in common use?

U.S. dollar coins are in heavy use in various Latin American countries, most
notably Ecuador, because the native coinage is considered to be unstable and
therefore less desirable. Since the small-size version of the dollar was
introduced in 1979, they have been essentially a complete fizzle in their
country of origin, no matter which design you name. There was a brief
period, at the beginning of the Sacagawea design, when Walmart gave them out
in change by the millions, and a period of years when dollar coins were
given as change in postage vending machines in the lobbies of USPS. The
post office in my town yanked its vending machine last year, so that was the
end of that locally, but I can't speak for any other location.

The most common reason given for their lack of stateside use is the
preference for the paper dollar, in spite of its higher net cost, due to the
reality that metal dollars are heavier than paper ones, and the fear that
metal dollars rapidly wear holes in pants pockets.

James

Old June 2nd 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

GFH wrote:
[...]

Basically, due to inflation we've come to regard coins mostly as pocket
change rather than as useful money to spend. IMO, were we to mint $2 and/or
$5 coins, that attitude might change, even if the equivalent bills were
still available. Otherwise, the rare dollar coin in change typically goes
into the jar with all the dimes nickels and quarters to be cashed in for
"money" at the appropriate occasion.

Old June 2nd 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
GFH wrote:
[...]

Your use of the pronoun "we" definitely does not include yours truly. I
have no change jar on my hoosier. I don't even have a hoosier.

Granted, I spend change as quickly as I can, for the holes in the pants
pocket reason, but a dollar's worth of coin buys the same as a dollar bill,
and I refuse to treat them with disdain. Heck, I still bend down to
retrieve a corroded cent from a muddy gutter. Then I do what I can to get
rid of it. The number of astonished looks I get from store cashiers
increases as I calculate, in advance, how much coin I will have to tender to
make it so I get only bills in return.

James the Peripatetic Mathematician

Old June 2nd 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Eating crow (was:Dollar Coins in Normal Commerce)

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
GFH wrote:
[...]

Egad, out of nowhere came mein frau just a few minutes ago, bearing a Baggie
containing some $18 in cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters that she has been
accumulating, beseeching me to give her paper for it. Under those
circumstances, the only proper response is, "Yes, Dear." But now I've got
about a pound of metal to carry around. I'll get my revenge, though. Just
wait until she has to repair my pocket.

James
'crow really isn't all that bad if you smother it with ketchup'

Old June 2nd 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
GFH wrote:
[...]

You're getting dangerously close to joining "we".

Old June 2nd 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
GFH wrote:
[...]

I just got rid of $4.26 of it, lots of it pennies, at Wallyworld self-check.
Not yet ready to consult a seamstress, nor to rent acreage on your hoosier!

James, Lighter of Weight

Old June 2nd 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Bruce Remick wrote:
GFH wrote:
[...]

Don't dispair. There are many other ways and places you can store
accumulated change.

Granted, I spend change as quickly as I can, for the holes in the pants
pocket reason, but a dollar's worth of coin buys the same as a dollar
bill, and I refuse to treat them with disdain. Heck, I still bend down to
retrieve a corroded cent from a muddy gutter. Then I do what I can to get
rid of it. The number of astonished looks I get from store cashiers
increases as I calculate, in advance, how much coin I will have to tender
to make it so I get only bills in return.

Of course, ten dimes or 20 nickels buys the same as a dollar bill. But
rhetorically, how many people leave home in the morning being sure to carry
the same pocket change they came home with the day before? I, too, will
pick up any penny I see on the ground, maybe because were both old enough to
never ignore this fortunate opportunity, regardless of the actual purchasing
power of a penny. Unless I happen to make a purchase where that penny will
be handy, I'll toss the penny in a jar with the others. Although I do have
a Hoosier, I don't keep my penny jar there. It's a secret. Your
implication that you will carry and use coins to avoid receiving more of
them in change sounds a little confusing, but let me ponder it a bit more.
I'm a lot slower than I used to be.

Old June 2nd 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
GFH wrote:
[...]

If I have, say $1 in change on me, I can be 99% certain that any purchase I
make will make some of it go away. What really gets me is to have 66 cents
and have the total owed end in .67.

James the Obsessive-Compulsive

Old June 2nd 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
GFH

On Jun 2, 12:35*pm, "Michael G. Koerner" wrote:

Also, the toll machines in the downtown Appleton parking ramps use them for
making change - they take up to $20 notes (note, labels on the machines say up
to $10s, but they do take $20s). *It's a LOTS better than getting 76 loose
quarters (four short of two rolls) back for the $1-to-enter parking rate.

One might have hoped that Appleton was up-to-date enough to use "easy-
pass".

GFH

Dollar Coin Defects and Genearl Commerce Use Arizona Coin Collector Coins 1 September 16th 09 08:48 PM
Stamps & Coins: Will dollar coins make paper dollars obsolete? Arizona Coin Collector Coins 1 January 4th 09 08:14 AM
Ancient coins and ancient commerce Paul Ciszek Coins 2 December 26th 07 06:47 PM
more like normal Ed Hendricks Coins 0 April 12th 06 01:00 AM
Back to "normal" joe Autographs 0 August 23rd 05 11:25 PM